Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it impossible to sell a car privately?

• 06-07-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭

I have a motor up for one week now on carzone and donedeal (since yesterday) and have yet to receive a single call about it. Its really competitively priced compared to others online. Its also taxed and DOE'd, new tyres etc.. Not one single call.

Am I wasting my time?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-sorento-xe-crdi-auto-commercial-4x4/12755908

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

As long as the Ad is decent it always comes down to price. If you want to shift it just drop it low. In your case shave a grand off it and you should get some calls.

(How is it only 333 quid to tax if its an 06 2.5 litre?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its a commercial vehicle!

No way I am shaving a grand off it. Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Being commercial I wouldn't be expecting quick responses never mind vast numbers flocking.

If you're happy the price is accurate for the vehicle I think you just need to be patient.

RE the tax, remember not everyone who buys a commercial vehicle might be using commercial tax, so they are looking solely at the fact its 2.5L pre 08.

fits wrote: »
    Its a commercial vehicle! No way I am shaving a grand off it. Not a chance.

Well then you'll have to wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No way I am shaving a grand off it. Not a chance.

This is why some people find it difficult to sell online.

It's an undesirable automatic 10yr old a commercial vehicle with over 150k miles, scratched bumper, filthy interior and has bits either hanging off it or held on with tape.

It's not worth your asking price. And it's not a jeep... don't refer to it as a jeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

^ lives up to his name there :D

smash wrote: »
    This is why some people find it difficult to sell online.

It's an undesirable 10yr old a commercial vehicle with over 150k miles, scratched bumper, filthy interior and has bits either hanging off it or held on with tape.

It's not worth your asking price.

Jee thanks! :p

It has four brilliant new tyres which were something like 500 quid and is brilliant to tow. Mechanically sound, and well looked after which is more than you can say for a lot of cars. Taxed and DOEd

Undesirable to you maybe.

To be fair Fits, you started a thread saying your car is so undesirable nobody would buy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jee thanks! :p

It has four brilliant new tyres which were something like 500 quid and is brilliant to tow. Mechanically sound, and well looked after which is more than you can say for a lot of cars. Taxed and DOEd

People think that tyres cost €50 for 4, you'd get more taking off the good tyres and selling separate.
    Its not a car it's a 10 year old commercial vehicle with limited commercial use and a big tax bill for private use.

There is only one cheaper online of that year that looks to be in good working order. I am baffled that folk think the asking price is too high tbh. If anything, I thought it was too low, looking at the other vehicles. There you go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Maybe chance an ad in the commercial section.
    That's where I'd be looking for something like this.

Can you get carpet the for the rear the same colour(ish) as the piece where the seats? Look a lot better.

Bullet points rather than a big paragraph.
    Serviced lately?

Personally wouldn't go to town writing about the negatives it's a 10yr old 4x4 with a tow bar. The driver's seat and back bumper will have seen better days.

Patience. 1 week is not a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

I see you have it in the 'Cars' section of Donedeal, might be no harm putting an ad in the 'Commercials' section aswell for maximium exposure, as some people do filter their searches into the sections. (Edit:^^^as suggested above)

Regarding price, they do seem to be all over the place on donedeal. I'd advice having a good look through every comparable ad on dondeal. Here's a similar one to yours for around €2000. (Shorther test I know)

Good luck with the sale.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

scanlone wrote: »
    Maybe chance an ad in the commercial section.
    That's where I'd be looking for something like this.

Can you get carpet the for the rear the same colour(ish) as the piece where the seats? Look a lot better.

Bullet points rather than a big paragraph.
    Serviced lately?

Personally wouldn't go to town writing about the negatives it's a 10yr old 4x4 with a tow bar. The driver's seat and back bumper will have seen better days.

Patience. 1 week is not a long time.

To be honest I never even knew that stain in the back was there until we cleared it out for the photos. I always had a protective sheet in the back, all the time I had it (7 years).

Husband changes the oil. Cant remember when he did it last but its since January. It was serviced by a mechanic last September. Brake pads all done recently enough as well.

Thanks for tip about commercial section, maybe that's where it should go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think most people buying a 4*4 like that for commercial use won't want an automatic, that's a big draw back. Friend has a manual one and indeed finds it a good jeep, but other similar milage I think he paid less than €2k

Have patience, it will sell or you'll need to start dropping €250 off the price and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Get the thing valeted, youd be amazed what a 60~ euro valet will do, the cloth seats look a bit manky due to the light colour, that being sorted will improve it.

they're a grand jeep at an alright price, just needs a bit of cleaning up.

Buffman wrote: »
    Regarding price, they do seem to be all over the place on donedeal. I'd advice having a good look through every comparable ad on dondeal. Here's a similar one to yours for around €2000. (Shorther test I know)

Good luck with the sale.

80,000 more miles as well on that one. At least it looks genuine. Cant believe the mileage on most of them.

_Brian wrote: »
    I think most people buying a 4*4 like that for commercial use won't want an automatic, that's a big draw back. Friend has a manual one and indeed finds it a good jeep, but other similar milage I think he paid less than €2k

Have patience, it will sell or you'll need to start dropping €250 off the price and see.

The automatic is actually brilliant on it. I know people can be biased against them, but they are wrong! Its rated to tow 3 T with the automatic, less with manual afaik.

80,000 more miles as well on that one. At least it looks genuine. Cant believe the mileage on most of them.

He say's that one is 238,255 km which is around 148,000 miles, is your one 154,000 miles or km?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I know people can be biased against them, but they are wrong!

But you're selling to "People".

Im gonna go with Smash on this one.

This and the Kia Sorento has a recall out on it where the Axel rusts from the inside out. My brother is an NCT Tester and its a major issue now.

Ah ok, my bad, I just saw the photo. mine is uk import so its in miles.

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    This and the Kia Sorento has a recall out on it where the Axel rusts from the inside out. My brother is an NCT Tester and its a major issue now.

never heard of that one before. Are you sure its on same model? I did know there were issues with the prop shafts. (we replaced it before it became an issue). Edit: nothing on honestjohn about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your advert is only up a week, I think you need to be a bit more patient. You also have to factor in the time of year, this time of year people are only thinking of their sun holiday or are back from the Euros broke. If you want it sold quickly then you have to price it accordingly.

Another factor might be that it's maybe more tempting to get into a new commercial vehicle these days with low leasing payments, tax refunds, etc. So your target market is smaller and more like someone looking for a cheap workhorse to help with building a house, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Take a different photo of the dash without all the warning lights showing. Either start the engine or just take one a bit further away. If you want to show the mileage then take one close up of the tacho and not the whole dash.

When you wash the car, let it dry off and drive it somewhere dry. Try somewhere with a neutral background and try to get the car fully into all shots.

Most people looking for something like that want a manual, yes there are people who want an Auto but they are rarer on the ground and it'll take a lot longer to sell.

Put it in the commercials section of DD.

Why the preference for manual? Genuine question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's quite a lot of vehicle for the money I think.

Be patient - it'll sell.

bazz26 wrote: »
    So your target market is smaller and more like someone looking for a cheap workhorse to help with building a house, etc.

That's exactly who I thought would be interested in something like this, or a farmer looking for something to knock about in, bring cattle to the mart etc.

Thing is we are hoping to build ourselves shortly, and I am sorry to part with it as its a useful thing. But, expecting twins, what can ya do. Doesn't make sense to have 3 vehicles and its not really right for husband to commute in either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

3grand for a ten year old 2.5litre kia? I can't see that ever being sold to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why the preference for manual? Genuine question.

People think that they are in control, don't know why people want the hassle of using a clutch all the time but they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Place the ad in the commercial section of Donedeal, if I'm looking for a commercial vehicle why would I be looking in the private cars section for one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The auto would surely be better for towing a heavy trailer which I'd imagine this vehicle would be fairly appealing for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

3grand for a ten year old 2.5litre kia? I can't see that ever being sold to be honest

Not to you anyway, but to people who want a 4wd commercial it's not a bad deal.

Engine size means fupp all in this case, so not sure why it's relevant.

But if you want a comparison, Check out a 10 year old toyota of the same class, they have a container ship sized 3.0 engine :O and sell for about 4-5x the price of the ops asking. And they sell like hot cakes.

Ah ok, my bad, I just saw the photo. mine is uk import so its in miles.

No worries, I was just using it as an example due to the similar mileage after a quick look on DD.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The auto would surely be better for towing a heavy trailer

How so?

Cheensbo wrote:
    But if you want a comparison, Check out a 10 year old toyota of the same class, they have a container ship sized 3.0 engine and sell for about 4-5x the price of the ops asking. And they sell like hot cakes.

Big difference between a Toyota and a Kia.

Jesus. wrote: »
    How so?

It can tow more. Also less strain on clutch and relevant parts.

• Advertisement

Big difference between a Toyota and a Kia.

Yep, Toyotas cost twice as much to fix. :P

fits wrote:
    Yep, Toyotas cost twice as much to fix.

But don't have to be fixed half as often

I doubt that somehow. But each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

My father was selling a piece of crap Mitsubishi L200 last year it was an 03. A Mongolian lady from Cavan called him saying she wanted it to export to her brothers farm in Mongolia because they are cheaper here than there including shipping (seriously). My dad said yeah ok, sure if you want come and have a look. She arrived on the train with the asking price in cash, looked at it from the outside and said she would take it. Bizzare.

It had been on sale for 6 weeks up to then without a single call he was just about to drop price. So, a 10-12 year old commercial, little bit battered will not attract huge calls. Stick with it drop price in increments depending on how quickly you want it to sell and it will go eventually

bmwguy wrote: »
    My father was selling a piece of crap Mitsubishi L200 last year it was an 03. A Mongolian lady from Cavan called him saying she wanted it to export to her brothers farm in Mongolia because they are cheaper here than there including shipping (seriously). My dad said yeah ok, sure if you want come and have a look. She arrived on the train with the asking price in cash, looked at it from the outside and said she would take it. Bizzare.

Ha that's hilarious! You'd be convinced it was a scam.

• Advertisement

bmwguy wrote:

Wow! The very same thing happened to me with a 00 corolla. Fella said he was exporting it to Cameroon. He didn't even look at the car, i mean now didnt look at it, just handed me asking price and off I went

Often though, you can only get parts for a few types of car in these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Yea i think put it in the commercial section on dd and put tax on it into next year if you can.

bmwguy wrote: »
    A Mongolian lady from Cavan called him

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ah lads...seriously...a 10 year old Kia

Look move it to the classic section of donedeal, state its the only one in the country and stick an extra zero on the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Ha that's hilarious! You'd be convinced it was a scam.

I know it sounds like one. She said she was buying 3 or 4 of them, sticking them in a container and shipping them off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Jesus seems everyone on here thinks anything thats not an 08+ Polo with cheap tax is worthless :eek:

Defo put it in commercial section. Not crazy priced for what it is but just generally small demand on those things. You could half the price and still have no interest at all, just have to wait for someone to spot it either way and realise its decent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

never heard of that one before. Are you sure its on same model? I did know there were issues with the prop shafts. (we replaced it before it became an issue). Edit: nothing on honestjohn about it.

Dont want to be derailing your thread, but its worth looking into..

http://www.smartdata.plus.com/Bulletins/KCE12-31-P010-BL.pdf

Applies from 2008 on models.

Mine is '06 so likely not an issue. I would say it would have been spotted if it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Common misconception in Ireland that you can't tow with auto's. It all depends on the type of auto box, old school torque converter "slush boxes" are great for towing and are the transmission of choice in America and in some cases can tow more than manuals.
    This misconception limits your market but anyone who's interested in it will most likely be genuine. A valet, some better pics and put it in the commercial section and it should sell for a bit over 2k

• Advertisement
Advertisement