Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it impossible to sell a car privately?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Some lads buying vehicles of that vintage, feel more comfortable around the 2k mark . That way if something major goes on it they have the option of scrapping it and moving on. I'd be patient give it a chance . Nice vehicle all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

(How is it only 333 quid to tax if its an 06 2.5 litre?)[/quote]

ITS A COMMERCIAL!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Nidge Murphy

Op €1500 is value of your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Some lads buying vehicles of that vintage, feel more comfortable around the 2k mark . That way if something major goes on it they have the option of scrapping it and moving on. I'd be patient give it a chance . Nice vehicle all the same.

This. I bought a 2005 Volvo S40 last year for €2200. I always buy in this age range. But I wouldn't be interested in paying much more for that age. My previous one was also 10 years and lasted me 6 (for€1300).

2200 is about the max I'd spend. Too much chance for something big going wrong. And this one looked great and had only 180k km (not miles). Yet despite that I was a bit wary spending this much. It's exactly like Green farmer said. A car this age I would buy to keep until the next major mechanical problem and it could be soon.

Personally I'd immediately skip this one the way it looks combined with the price. Not even taking the tax issue into account there. It'd have to be flawless at that price and even then I'd try to bargain for €2500 or so.

By the way I just had a closer look and that stain really gives a bad impression. Besides that it's actually a very clean looking car. But from when I first flipped through it that's the feeling that stuck in my mind. It makes it look much worse than it is at first glance. I'd definitely fix that first and put up a new photo. Still, I wouldn't look at this price. And an auto box would actually be a plus for me.

Not trying to bash here, just being honest about how I would view this ad if I were a potential buyer :) Though I always buy for commuting, I'd probably not generally look at a 4x4 so I wouldn't know how to value the towing capacity etc (don't even have a towing licence).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How long would it take to sell a private car in the commercial ads on Donedeal? It's like Where's Fooking Wally putting a commerical vehicle within private car sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

To be honest if being looking at your ad waiting for your price to shift : I've been looking for everything that your jeep i.e commercial / auto etc for a few months now but we'll over priced ; for instances i was watching 05 not commercial went from 2k and sold for €600 and it was up for 2 weeks , know the person who bought and not a problem with it - there was a 06 same as yours a lot less mileage and clean inside and out but gear stick went for €1200 although it needed a few bits and pieces but scrapyard would of been cheap to fix . Too me it's well over priced €2250 maybe but 2k or less is the ball park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

At 2k its just not worth my while selling privately as I already have an offer from a dealer. Need to make up my mind by tomorrow.

Hate selling it at all tbh. Wish we could keep it. Anyway it really owes me nothing. Was a great buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Your asking price is right, someone standing in front of you with cash will probably expect it for €2500.. take it.
    Auto box is better for towing, put it in the commercial section too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

fits wrote: »
    At 2k its just not worth my while selling privately as I already have an offer from a dealer.

Take it and don't waste your time trying to eek out another few quid on Done Deal. Not worth the hassle tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's exactly who I thought would be interested in something like this, or a farmer looking for something to knock about in, bring cattle to the mart etc.

Thing is we are hoping to build ourselves shortly, and I am sorry to part with it as its a useful thing. But, expecting twins, what can ya do. Doesn't make sense to have 3 vehicles and its not really right for husband to commute in either.

Is it VAT qualifying? Given that it's taxed as a commercial. That would reduce the price for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

At 2k its just not worth my while selling privately as I already have an offer from a dealer. Need to make up my mind by tomorrow.

Hate selling it at all tbh. Wish we could keep it. Anyway it really owes me nothing. Was a great buy.

The dealer is most likely charging too much for what you're buying if he can offer that much for a trade in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Maybe, but I have already signed on the dotted line.

Advertisement