Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance

• 06-07-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, does anybody know the exact time period to insurance a car while traveling in Europe? My insurers say 60 days max. I know some do 90 days max. But Saga in the UK do an indefinite one. As far as I'm aware there shouldn't be a time limit. But if there is, who in Ireland does the most time, if anybody knows? I would be really grateful to hear from you. Thanks loads :-)

Admin, please move if this is in the wrong section.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Most offer 30 days full cover with no charge. Anything over that they may allow but charge.

Only obligation is to provide you the minimum level of cover required in the eu country you are in. So they are obliged under eu directives to give third party cover. But not fire and theft or accidental damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Pipasawrus wrote: »
    Hi, does anybody know the exact time period to insurance a car while traveling in Europe? My insurers say 60 days max. I know some do 90 days max. But Saga in the UK do an indefinite one. As far as I'm aware there shouldn't be a time limit. But if there is, who in Ireland does the most time, if anybody knows? I would be really grateful to hear from you. Thanks loads :-)

Admin, please move if this is in the wrong section.

My experience is the following.
    1. Allianz - max 60 days, breakdown cover not valid outside Ireland or UK.
    2. Aviva - max 30 days cover, but they can extend up to 90 most likely free of charge or possibly for even longer for a charge. Breakdown cover also only limited to UK and Ireland.
    3. FBD - no time limtiation on cover in the EU. (however I checked that about 2 years ago, so something might have changed).

However every single insurer is obliged to provide third party cover abroad (within EU anyway) for the whole period of the policy.

So that means, if your insurer tells you that you are covered up to 60 days, that means that after 60 days abroad, you will loose comprehensive bit (own car damage, windscreen cover, personal accident, etc), fire, theft, and any possible extra cover you might have had. But third party cover which is legal requirement will be still valid, so you will still be road legal to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CiniO wrote: »
    So that means, if your insurer tells you that you are covered up to 60 days, that means that after 60 days abroad, you will loose comprehensive bit (own car damage, windscreen cover, personal accident, etc), fire, theft, and any possible extra cover you might have had. But third party cover which is legal requirement will be still valid, so you will still be road legal to drive.

It's not as simple as that. If you are abroad with your car for more than 60 consecutive days, your insurer is well within his rights to claim that you have permanently moved address or have become a migrant worker and therefore you need to negotiate a new contract of insurance.

coylemj wrote: »
    It's not as simple as that. If you are abroad with your car for more than 60 consecutive days, your insurer is well within his rights to claim that you have permanently moved address or have become a migrant worker and therefore you need to negotiate a new contract of insurance.

TBH I'd call that bullsh1t...

You are resident in a country if you spend there more than 183 days a year.

You can be gone from Ireland for 5 months and 3 weeks and 6 days, and still be considered resident in Ireland for the year, and your insurer won't be able to question that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CiniO is quite the expert on motor insurance and driving abroad. What was that issue you had again?

• Advertisement

TBH I'd call that bullsh1t...

You are resident in a country if you spend there more than 183 days a year.

You can be gone from Ireland for 5 months and 3 weeks and 6 days, and still be considered resident in Ireland for the year, and your insurer won't be able to question that.

You're quoting the revenue rules about domicility for tax purposes, this discussion is about motor insurance.

CiniO is quite the expert on motor insurance and driving abroad. What was that issue you had again?

What was that comment you made in another thread?

Oh yes, here it is....
    Beware of keyboard barristers!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100268359&postcount=11

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pipasawrus

Thank you all for your input and least it gives me something to work with. ( CiniO will give FBD a try first)

Now you lot, please play nicely in the playground :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

Wondering if anyone had an update on a car policy to drive for an extended period in Europe? Ive called Allianz and it’s 60 days and FBD is now 40 days neither will allow for an increase in that duration.

caycro wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone had an update on a car policy to drive for an extended period in Europe? Ive called Allianz and it’s 60 days and FBD is now 40 days neither will allow for an increase in that duration.

Probably none will allow more than 30 or 60 or 90 days.
    That however doesn't affect your statutory entitlements to have your third party cover valid for the whole term of the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

Probably none will allow more than 30 or 60 or 90 days..

FBD used to be unlimited.

caycro wrote: »
    FBD used to be unlimited.

P.6 of the current FBD policy document .....

Territorial limits

Unless otherwise specified in the policy wording, we will provide cover as set out in the schedule for events which happen during the period of insurance in:
    • Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
    Cover also extends automatically to include foreign travel for up to 40 days in:
    • other European Union member states, and
    • any other country which the Commission of the European Union is satisfied has made arrangements to meet the minimum insurance requirements set out by the European Union Directives on insurance of civil liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles.

https://www.fbd.ie/media/FBD/pdf/carProtect-policy-document.pdf

Advertisement