Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sublet query and rent increase

Options
  • 06-07-2016 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey All

Currently renting a 2 bedroom apartment with a friend, the lease runs out the end of august. the lease is currently in both our names and the last rent review we had was March 2015. My understanding is that under the new rules they cannot do another rent review until March 2017, is the correct?

The tricky part is my friend does not want to renew the lease in august whereas i do, if i get someone else in to rent his room and re-sign the lease in august with this new person, does this mean they will be able to increase the rent?

Basically I'm trying to avoid the letting agent having a reason to increase the rent?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You don't have to sign a new lease, is there any reason you feel you need to? But yes, you can only have a review in March 2017.

You currently are Joint and Several on the lease with your current housemate. Replacing him without a lease leaves you liable for any shortfall of rent, as the new housemate would be a licensee with you as the head tenant. It means you could kick out a new housemate pretty quickly though. (if your current housemate stopped paying either or skipped town, you have to make up the shortfall, as you are jointly responsible, so it's not much different, except you can't really kick him out if he's on the lease).

Advertisement