Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do witnesses for a marriage in Ireland have to be in Ireland?

• 06-07-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

My fiance and I are getting married in Ireland but are not Irish. We came here from other EU countries and have no family or friends here yet so don't really have anyone to be witnesses for us. Can friends from other countries serve as witnesses in this case from abroad? Another possible option is that we have friends coming to visit in two months who are staying with us and they would definitely be witnesses but from what I understand we have to give the registrar 3 months notice of intention to get married so not sure if that could work as their visit would be before even getting an appointment. Is there a way for them to be witnesses without having to be here on the day? We would appreciate any advice on the issue

Thank you kindly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

How can someone be a witness if they're not there? The witnesses absolutely have to be there. They don't have to be your besties, just 2 warm bodies.

Yes you do need 3 months notice also, so thats also not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

To witness something is to physically see/view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    To witness something is to physically see/view it.

yes true... I guess does sound like a daft question

Is there anyway to get my friends to come to the police station and be witnesses there and say they can't be here on the date of the marriage? Thinking out the box else may have to ask our neighbors who are old but I am sure they would do it for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

armabelle wrote: »
    yes true... I guess does sound like a daft question

Is there anyway to get my friends to come to the police station and be witnesses there and say they can't be here on the date of the marriage?

Nope. The point of witnesses is to witness the actual event. Seriously, just grab some randomers. They don't need to vouch for you or anything. I've heard of people asking their taxi drivers or some friendly looking hotel staff to do it. Surely you know 2 people in Ireland. Workmates? Landlord? Guy in the corner shop?

Nope. The point of witnesses is to witness the actual event. Seriously, just grab some randomers. They don't need to vouch for you or anything. I've heard of people asking their taxi drivers or some friendly looking hotel staff to do it. Surely you know 2 people in Ireland. Workmates? Landlord? Guy in the corner shop?

Ok, thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

No they have to be physically there with you in the registrars office and have valid forms of id and sign on the dotted line with you.

Technically you could ask anyone in the street with valid Id to be your witnesses on the day. They don't have to know you personally

No they have to be physically there with you in the registrars office and have valid forms of id and sign on the dotted line with you.

Technically you could ask anyone in the street with valid Id to be your witnesses on the day. They don't have to know you personally

Ok thanks, we just would have loved for our friends to do it when they come but that may not be possible so we will have to get an acquaintance.

• Administrators Posts: 14,461 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

When are you getting married? Could your friends postpone their trip to come for the wedding instead? It sounds like you would like to have some family or friends or familiar faces around you. Have you told people you are getting married? Have you asked anyone would they like to come for it?

When are you getting married? Could your friends postpone their trip to come for the wedding instead? It sounds like you would like to have some family or friends or familiar faces around you. Have you told people you are getting married? Have you asked anyone would they like to come for it?

Not really, they are coming on holiday and their flights are booked. Not sure why it sounds that way to you but we just need witnesses and not any friends or familiar faces really even though it would be nice to have both

• Administrators Posts: 14,461 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It sounds like you'd like friends to be your witnesses. Have you told anyone you're getting married? Have you invited anyone to come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My Irish husband and I were married while I was on a business trip to Aberdeen for a few months and he was visiting me there. Since it would have involved airplane tickets for any family member who wanted to be in attendance, we didn't have any family there, and I would have been massively uncomfortable asking anyone from work. Our ceremony was the simplest possible "do" compatible with decency in the sweet room set aside for such things at the registrar's office. She arranged for two office clerks to stand in as witnesses; it got them away from their desks for a half hour, and they were nice people, too. We had to request this in advance, though. It might be possible to do the same in Ireland.

It sounds like you'd like friends to be your witnesses. Have you told anyone you're getting married? Have you invited anyone to come?

No, we don't want anyone there that isn't nearby really. Just two witnesses is what we really need and they can be anybody so long as it is convenient. we are friends with our neighbors and may ask them as we definitely don't want people flying in just for our "wedding".

Advertisement