Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun renewal

• 06-07-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Just a quick question iv sent in my renewal forms but my licence is now out by a month .should I leave my guns into a dealer or just wait it out until the guards contact me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

If you have a friendly local RFD who won't stiff you on a charge for holding them, I would drop them in.

In the off chance that something happens that causes a guard to pop round your place, you don't want to have to explain why you don't have a licence for the guns.

I would, most definitely, not take them out hunting while you don't have the cert.

Out of interest, were they out of date before the licence ended, and did you get the acknowledgement letter before they lapsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

Ya I haven't taken them out of the locker since the licence were out .I only got the renewals sent back well handed in at the barracks by me a week or so before the end date .that's what I'm wondering will the guards take the guns at this point even though I'm guessing there a back log with the paperwork in the barracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

If you haven't gotten an acknowledgement letter, there probably won't be anything on PULSE yet about your renewal as the papers are sitting on somones desk not yet processed.

Your call at the end of the day, but when my renewals were in, if they new licences weren't back I was going to drop the guns into a dealer. Just for the peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

That's what I was thinking .il have to ring the dealer today so .thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

ezra is giving some sound advice there. Have a look at a thread here 'waiting time in North Dublin'. You'll see the thread highlights the waiting time for renewals as well as the OPs query about length of time for granting a new license.
    In my case I renewed my licenses as soon as the renewal forms arrived at the house and was waiting over 5 months for 1 and 1 month over the renewal date for another. Niether time did I put the guns into storage, in fact when I brouched the subject with the Guards they skirted the question and always came back to the same answer : you can forward query / complaint to the Supper.
    Eventually the license arrived if not months after the previous ones where out of date. Even though you have a 3 month grace I would always get them off ASAP and would pre organize land permission etc in advance of notice, especially since the new guard has taken over with a very laid back attitude to processing forms. If your submitng paper work at the last moment then it may well be in your intrest to make alternative storage arrangements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

As above...and I was the OP in the other thread. I never received any letters of confirmation. I got the licenses something like 4 and 5 months after applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Just a quick question iv sent in my renewal forms but my licence is now out by a month .should I leave my guns into a dealer or just wait it out until the guards contact me

Having just sent a renewal in yesterday IIRC you are advised on it to send it in 3 months before it expires. There is a warning not to be in possession of an unlicenfirearm.

Myself and friends and acquaintances have surrendered firearms to RFD,s when renewals haven't been completed by AGS in a prompt and timely manner.

What gets my goat up is having had a firearm stored for 6 weeks or more when I eventually get my licence renewed it is backdated to the expiry date. I get on quite well with my FO. He's just bone idle as far as paperwork is concerned. A renewal takes a max of 10 minutes in front of a computer and the Cig to sign off on it.

The Firearms Consultative Panel is,to my mind,going down the wrong road regarding centralised licensing. At least our local Garda on the ground will have a nose for local knowledge. Firearms licensing is centralised in N.Ireland. I did hear the figure of how many licences were processed per day. It was laughable and this is a department totally devoted to firearms licensing.

I often think that if people working in the civil service or branches of it had to earn a living in the private sector a lot of them would have a very rude awakening.

Advertisement