Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing / heating advice

Options
  • 06-07-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I need some heating advice....

We have recently bought a 1950's 3 bed terraced house. Changing from storage heaters to radiators so we are starting from scratch on the heating front.

RADIATORS:
    So our plumber has said that the double panel radiators (which I've seen in every house growing up) are actually now referred to as fancy ones and cost about €300. The standard ones are the radiators with the grill across the top and cost about €100.

Q. Which radiator is best heat-wise?
    Q. Would it be cheaper to buy radiators ourselves for the plumber to fit? e.g. in the North seeing as sterling is so low?

BOILER:
    We are also installing a new boiler. We have been recommended a combi-boiler. Plumber suggested putting boiler itself in the attic as it needs external wall for flue and would take up a bit of space in bathroom. He would then put the pump in the hot press.

Q: Anyone who has put the boiler in the attic had any issues/recommendations?
    Q: Anyone recommend a combi-boiler or alternative?

thanks in advance,
    b.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not sure which "fancy" radiators he is referring to, but most double rads today are standard with the grills and are perfectly adequate once the correct size is used in the room.
    Different fitters will have preferences towards different makes of boiler, as seen from previous threads here. Worcester, Vokera, Ariston Ideal Veissman and Vaillant would be the usual brands you would see recommended.
    Whilst the exchange rate is in our favour at the moment and there are deals to be had "up north" don't be tempted to buy the new boiler up there.
    In the past some people who have done this have run into problems if there were issues within the warranty period, as the agents "down south" for the brand would not cover the warranty.
    Boilers are ok in the attic, but there are strict guidelines about placement and ease of access for repairs and servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bueller79

Thanks K.

I was thinking of buying the rads up north. Wouldn't trust the purchasing a boiler in the north for the same reasons you mentioned - aftercare etc.

The rads with grills across the top look bigger than the old double rads, as in come out further from the wall than old double rads. Can't copy a pic to show you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is this an end of terrace?
    before rushing into replacing the heating system what steps have you taken to reduce the energy demand first so as the heating system will cost less to run?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bueller79

Is this an end of terrace?
    before rushing into replacing the heating system what steps have you taken to reduce the energy demand first so as the heating system will cost less to run?

Hi Calahonda52,

It's a mid terrace house so we are going to insulate the front and back walls (internally). There is already double glazing fitted throughout the house and we are going to close up an existing fireplace. Is there anything else you would suggest we do before we change heating system.

thanks,
    b.

Advertisement