Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main Switch Cover Broken, need to replace? (IMAGES added)

Options
  • 06-07-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Was pulling down the main switch on my control board today to knock off the power to my home and it broke off, looks like a two-stage cover, as in one broke off (grey part that has a hole in the middle of it) and the lower part (whiteish) is still working in that you can push it up and on/off is still working.

Do I need a whole new switch ? It says AEG LT1 on the front, whithish part of it, and the grey part that broke off has 63A D0 63A 5.5w AC22 50 hz written on it.

Trying to find a pic of it online, I took one myself so will try to upload it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

You will need a registered electrical contractor to replace this for you.

meercat wrote: »
    You will need a registered electrical contractor to replace this for you.

Does it need replacing? the bottom part is working fine - on/off

Whats the purpose of the grey part?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Does it need replacing? the bottom part is working fine - on/off

Whats the purpose of the grey part?

That's for you to decide
    It's the main isolator for the installation and might need to be operated by someone other than you who may not be able to do so.
    This switch is spring loaded so may not be operating correctly with part of it broken.
    The grey part covers the fuse but also helps leverage to switch on/off
    The fuse is now accessible and can be removed under load conditions which is not ideal.
    My advice would be definitely get it replaced by rec

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Agree with meercat, it's not a DIY job. It'll also need someone willing to do live work or else it'll need ESB to come and remove their fuse (€€€€€).

That's for you to decide
    It's the main isolator for the installation and might need to be operated by someone other than you who may not be able to do so.
    This switch is spring loaded so may not be operating correctly with part of it broken.
    The fuse is now accessible and can be removed under load conditions which is not ideal.
    My advice would be definitely get it replaced by rec

What sort of money should I expect to be paying for that to be done?
    Steve wrote: »
    Agree with meercat, it's not a DIY job. It'll also need someone willing to do live work or else it'll need ESB to come and remove their fuse (€€€€€).

Would not all Electricians do this kind of work?

Seems such a simple thing to break, its hardly ever used.

What sort of money should I expect to be paying for that to be done?

Would not all Electricians do this kind of work?

Seems such a simple thing to break, its hardly ever used.

get a quote over the phone,its a main switch fuse that needs to be replaced

it has to be a registered electrical contractor that does this work,look your nearest contractor up on safe electric website

http://www.reci.ie/ConsumerServices/FindanElectrician.aspx

The switch is working fine

Thanks for helping me understand what that grey part is for, was wondering the purpose of it. Is it unsafe to touch the fuse or something?

Nobody else in our home would be going near it except me and the control board is at the ceiling 9 feet up. Cash is tight so wondering how urgent/safe is it, if I left it for a couple of months ...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The switch is working fine

Thanks for helping me understand what that grey part is for, was wondering the purpose of it. Is it unsafe to touch the fuse or something?

Nobody else in our home would be going near it except me and the control board is at the ceiling 9 feet up. Cash is tight so wondering how urgent/safe is it, if I left it for a couple of months ...

It's like insurance, everything is OK until you need it.
    This should be the main isolation point on the customer side for the installation. The advice above is sound. I recommend that you follow it.

In the event of the main fuse failing (this happens from time to time) the replacement of the fuse becomes less straight forward for a nonprofessional.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    It's like insurance, everything is OK until you need it.
    This should be the main isolation point on the customer side for the installation. The advice above is sound. I recommend that you follow it.

In the event of the main fuse failing (this happens from time to time) the replacement of the fuse becomes less straight forward for a nonprofessional.

Tks, I don't plan on replacing it myself as I wouldn't be 100% competent in this area.

However, I am asking if it is safe to leave it as is now that the piece of plastic has come off? Is it in any way dangerous without that piece of plastic? (I did switch it on/off yesterday after the plastic cover came off and am still here to tell the tale :p)

Thanks for all the advice thus far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Tks, I don't plan on replacing it myself as I wouldn't be 100% competent in this area.

However, I am asking if it is safe to leave it as is now that the piece of plastic has come off? Is it in any way dangerous without that piece of plastic? (I did switch it on/off yesterday after the plastic cover came off and am still here to tell the tale :p)

Thanks for all the advice thus far

It's not dangerous to leave it like that but it is needed to turn of all of the power in the house.

Can you post a picture of the broken switch?
    Would it be possible to repair the broken piece by gluing it back with superglue or it too badly broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

aido79 wrote: »
    It's not dangerous to leave it like that but it is needed to turn of all of the power in the house.

Would it be possible to repair the broken piece by gluing it back with superglue or it too badly broken?
    Picture already in post 2 or 3:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Picture already in post 2 or 3:D

post 3 is a picture from ebay and the piece of plastic in post 2 doesn't look broken.
    Did you look at the pictures?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

However, I am asking if it is safe to leave it as is now that the piece of plastic has come off?

The only thing 'unsafe' is if you take the fuse out and it's still switched on, you could stick your finger in the hole and get electrocuted.

The cover is there to prevent the fuse being taken out until it's off.

It's no less safe than any older type fuse board with screw-in fuses.

IMO, it needs to be replaced but not urgently.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

the piece of plastic in post 2 doesn't look broken.
    Did you look at the pictures?

Have a look at the 2 pictures under the picture of the piece of plastic and the issue will become apparent.

2011 wrote: »
    Have a look at the 2 pictures under the picture of the piece of plastic and the issue will become apparent.

Sorry I thought there was only one picture. It makes more sense now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I'm fairly sure that's a 'switch fuse'.

When you push back up the lever that broke off you'll hear a 'clack' which is the contacts closing inside the unit.

The broken front cover / lever will allow you to remove the fuse while the unit is still energised. I wouldn't do this and I would regard the unit as in need of ASAP replacement.

If your house is like mine (no isolator in the meter box), you won't have any way to turn off the incoming ESB power which connects into that switch/fuse. In addition to restricted works legislation etc etc this really is a job for a REC.

Thanks the pics here are of the cover and two of the switch itself

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100269324&postcount=2

Advertisement