Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont give up the bike

Options
  • 06-07-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

Had my first spin back in over 2 years. Met my cousin on sat and the pair of us went out over Howth and back thru Malahide. It was a good 50km spin and I was dead as a dog going up the hills. hopefully i can continue it and get a bit of my shape back.

My simple advice to anybody is whatever you do...dont jack the bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

morana wrote: »
    Had my first spin back in over 2 years. Met my cousin on sat and the pair of us went out over Howth and back thru Malahide. It was a good 50km spin and I was dead as a dog going up the hills. hopefully i can continue it and get a bit of my shape back.

I don't use mine at all really. Took it to work a few times this year but that's been it. I gave up going for spins on it a few years ago as I preferred to spend my time playing golf. Not easy when you have young kids getting away for a few hours so I just picked something I wanted to do more.

I would love to cycle more. Commuting would be my best bet, but it's restricted with dropping kids to school and stuff. Plan is next week when summer camp finishes to ditch the car and get in and out of work on the bike.

If I can do it a few times a week I'll be happy, but really, would love to cycle in every day that I don't require golf clubs with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

I had a similar experience after a 4 month lay off over the past winter. My god the first spin back in February was bad, felt like hell, but the good thing is that form does return gradually bit by bit and the gap is noticeable after a few weeks of consistent training.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Good timing this thread.

It has been exactly a year since I have sat on a bike.

I keep lurking in here in the hope that i'll be motivated by someone or something to do something about it..

The thought of the lack of form, and suffering, keeps putting me off.... Delaying the inevitable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lot of procrastination myself over the last couple of weeks, so thanks for the little inspirational kick as it got my off my ass and up the hills this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Great advice. While not completely off the bike, weekend spins and sportives went out the window for me for a couple of years after a couple of kids arrived. (Not Halloween!)
    Back doing some sportives now and I'm loving it as much as before. Fitness isn't building up as fast as I seem to remember it doing, but heading up the hills is still as satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

morana wrote: »

Bravo!
    Good to hear that you are back on the bike morana. I thought we had lost you to the sport.
    Keep up the spins, building up slowly and keeping company with riders who will help you along the way.
    It is a difficult road and hard to remain motivated at times.
    Keep her lit and hopefully we might even see you at an odd race in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ragazzo wrote: »
    Bravo!
    Good to hear that you are back on the bike morana. I thought we had lost you to the sport...
    +1

I think the last time I saw morana on a bike was on the Boards.ie cancer ride for LPB a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I was doing a bit at Christmas but I gave up, going to try get out this weekend.

In fact I am bored as hell these nights (when there is no football on) so I guess there is no excuse.

Since I stopped 2 years ago I have a fierce Ned Kelly on me, just cant seem to shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Morana
    Good to hear that you have got off the wagon :-)

My advice to anyone who is ignoring the bike is . Take it down to get the paper or the milk . You don't have to get into your gear. Those few minutes will get you thinking.
    I was offically off the bike for 12 months but started to use it for trips into my local town rather than the car when I didn't need to carry much home(round trip5 km)
    Since I got back to doing spins I have been plesently surprised at how even that little bit kept me tuned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

+1

I think the last time I saw morana on a bike was on the Boards.ie cancer ride for LPB a few years back.

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

G rock wrote: »
    Good timing this thread.

It has been exactly a year since I have sat on a bike.

I keep lurking in here in the hope that i'll be motivated by someone or something to do something about it..

The thought of the lack of form, and suffering, keeps putting me off.... Delaying the inevitable
    just do it, get your leg over... the cross bar and you ass on the saddle, you will wonder why you didnt do it sooner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Inspiration someone said?

Most of us ride for various reasons, but being outside on a mountain road on a summer's evening is one of the most common ones. Was out on Power's the Pot this evening a met three other cyclist (which is busy for a midweek!) enjoying the mountain.

Then, near the very top I met the President of the GAA club I'm a member off. Gerry is in his mid 90's. He was in his electric wheelchair like vehicle; knowing him and how active he has always been I wonder what he would have given to be 40/50/60/70 again and been able to do it on his own steam. He was still out there though, happy as Larry..

There's Tom, blind man looking for riders on his tandem so he can do Wild Atlantic Way in 7 days also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

+1

Always regretted missing that one as I was out of the country. Could make for a nice boards spin at some time again and raise a few bucks for a good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

thanks for the nice comments.

Have since got a few more spins under the belt and of course the inevitable disaster

https://twitter.com/moran_anto/status/751728563565522944

but its grand replaced the SRM with a Campag Reciord I had lying around, new rubber and 60km on Sunday!!!

Aiming for the Meath heritage Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I pussied out this morning
    My excuse to myself was I that couldn't find my HRM :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Right, that's it, holidays are over, I'm getting out on the bike this evening!! 😀

Advertisement