Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling and Ticknock

Options
  • 06-07-2016 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question with regards to cycling up Ticknock. I'm looking at everesting on the section from the barrier (section after the car park that cars aren't allowed up) to just before the mast.

I don't know if it's just me but it seems every time I'm up doing that segment it feels like it's against the rules or something just with how begrudged the walkers seem about moving out of the way. Does anyone know if it's technically ok or is it against the rules? Should I contact coillte before doing it just to ensure its ok? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I walk up there regularly with dogs. See cyclists or MTBers cycling up regularly enough. Can't see any issue with people cycling up it, descending at speed would be another thing of course.

I don't know what the rules are in general but there are particular parts with "no cycling" signs, eg the "off-road" ascent up to the fairy castle from the masts. The boneshaker used to be a MTB route but now is no longer open to bikes i understand, I normally walk up it. By implication if there are "no cycling" signs for particular parts you would assume cycling is permitted where no such signage is in place.

On the tarmac roads they are wide enough that I can't see any issue passing people tbh. Descending quickly though could spook dogs, horses or walkers. I am always conscious that many of those on horses are attending a riding school so are likely to be inexperienced, particularly kids during the summer holidays.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Let us know when you're thinking of doing it; I'll join you (for a bit) if you're looking for company!

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Just a quick question with regards to cycling up Ticknock. I'm looking at everesting on the section from the barrier (section after the car park that cars aren't allowed up) to just before the mast.

I don't know if it's just me but it seems every time I'm up doing that segment it feels like it's against the rules or something just with how begrudged the walkers seem about moving out of the way. Does anyone know if it's technically ok or is it against the rules? Should I contact coillte before doing it just to ensure its ok? Any advice would be appreciated.

Been up loads of times on a road bike. It's a nice hill to climb by bike, good road surface and a great view at the top.

It is however a popular hill walking route.

As long as you aren't descending like a cock or expecting people to jump out of your way you are OK.

Some mountain bike trails seem to cross the paved route which can make for an unexpected hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

colm18 wrote: »
    Let us know when you're thinking of doing it; I'll join you (for a bit) if you're looking for company!

Cheers Colm. I'll give it a shot. Not promising anything though haha. It'll probably be the last week of July before I head off to New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Fian wrote: »
    I walk up there regularly with dogs. See cyclists or MTBers cycling up regularly enough. Can't see any issue with people cycling up it, descending at speed would be another thing of course.

I don't know what the rules are in general but there are particular parts with "no cycling" signs, eg the "off-road" ascent up to the fairy castle from the masts. The boneshaker used to be a MTB route but now is no longer open to bikes i understand, I normally walk up it. By implication if there are "no cycling" signs for particular parts you would assume cycling is permitted where no such signage is in place.

On the tarmac roads they are wide enough that I can't see any issue passing people tbh. Descending quickly though could spook dogs, horses or walkers. I am always conscious that many of those on horses are attending a riding school so are likely to be inexperienced, particularly kids during the summer holidays.

Cheers for that. I'll mostly be freewheeling on the descents but I generally take it very easy on that road as it's shared use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

was up and down it today on the road bike. quiet being midweek so didn't get any glares. we passed a couple official looking (probably coilte) vehicles and nothing was said. when descending id generally be ready to fully knock off the speed if i saw anyone on the road ahead. only takes one nasty accident for bans to be put in place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I often do the Kilmashogue - Coilte track - Ticknock circuit taking in that descent and have had no issues, but you will often come across dog walkers with long leads covering most of the width of the road which you need to watch out for. It isn't a section of road I'd go full tilt down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Technically I think you are only supposed to cycle on the tarmac from the barrier to the right turn into the forest where the official Coillte MTB trail goes and then from where the MTB trail rejoins the tarmac climb to the top of the hill! But frankly, nobody worries too much about that and as long as you are careful and courteous you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just cycle the road, everyone does... no permissions needed!

As for people out walking on the road, they just look upon it as if they were in the local park, and are not used to people on bikes or horses, though they move pretty quick for a horse.. will just add some zig zagging to your route up...

Advertisement