Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Iphone 6s Online or in UK

Options
  • 06-07-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking about buying a new Iphone 6s however not one of the Irish operators have decent plans and I am not prepared to pay over 700 quid up front.

With the pound been good at the minute I have been looking on Amazon and even at Vodafone UK about purchasing (full cost) an unlocked iphone. I could save 100 euro with the rates today. Just wondering have many done it before and if it's a good idea for me to do it or where would be best to get it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If it's fully unlocked, and it works out cheaper than buying an unlocked one in Ireland, there can't be much wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If it's fully unlocked, and it works out cheaper than buying an unlocked one in Ireland, there can't be much wrong.

Thanks, I just haven't really gotten into the whole online shopping world so just a little cautious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I've bought refurbished unlocked iphones from the UK amazon before without problem, would never buy a new phone again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If buying from Amazon, just be wary of who you are actually buying it off, if it's Amazon themselves, you have plenty of cover, but I do margin you to still have cover for anything bought off anyone on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I saw some thought they would get a good deal with the exchange rate when buying a phone, but then be charged a shi7e rate saving only 3 euro :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Needless to say watch the exchange rate. I have a sterling debit card so I've only postage to Ireland to consider.

I saw some thought they would get a good deal with the exchange rate when buying a phone, but then be charged a shi7e rate saving only 3 euro :pac:

I have got rates from my banks (AIB, BOI) and Post Office and today I have around 109 euro if I purchased from App UK store. Only problem is they won't deliver to Ireland but I am in the UK in a few weeks so I might buy the sterling soon if it stays good and take it form there. I would also save a further 380 by buying in the UK and keeping my current plan instead of buying with an Irish network and been in a 24 m contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Only problem is they won't deliver to Ireland but I am in the UK in a few weeks so I might buy the sterling soon if it stays good and take it form there..

I got 20% off in airport dixons while flying to uk. Might be worth considering. Probably get it cheaper on way back!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have got rates from my banks (AIB, BOI) and Post Office and today I have around 109 euro if I purchased from App UK store. Only problem is they won't deliver to Ireland but I am in the UK in a few weeks so I might buy the sterling soon if it stays good and take it form there. I would also save a further 380 by buying in the UK and keeping my current plan instead of buying with an Irish network and been in a 24 m contract.

Use either Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard to get around this.

They give you a UK address to place your order on a UK site, then receive the item and deliver to you in Ireland for €3.95.

Parcel Motel deliver to a locker site in your area and Parcel Wizard deliver to wherever you want.

Used both plenty of times as many UK sellers are dearer to send to Ireland addresses but free for UK ones. Leaning now towards Parcel Wizard as they deliver where ever you want.

TBi wrote: »
    I got 20% off in airport dixons while flying to uk. Might be worth considering. Probably get it cheaper on way back!

Just looked and I can get 64GB for £565 pounds and with currency it's €685 but buying from App store in Ireland it's a whopping €869.

Always wanted bigger GB but not prepared to pay the cost. Going to give stores in DUB a call tomorrow to see what they charge in Euro's and I can reserve before I fly which is great/
    Use either Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard to get around this.

They give you a UK address to place your order on a UK site, then receive the item and deliver to you in Ireland for €3.95.

Parcel Motel deliver to a locker site in your area and Parcel Wizard deliver to wherever you want.

Used both plenty of times as many UK sellers are dearer to send to Ireland addresses but free for UK ones. Leaning now towards Parcel Wizard as they deliver where ever you want.

Excellent to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Personally, i'd wait for the 7 to come out.

OverRide wrote: »
    I got mine about 2 weeks ago in the Belfast Apple Store,the 16gig version worked out at €644
    Up and back in no length!

Dixons at Dublin airport had it for €630. Prob cheaper to buy a 9.99 Ryanair ticket and "miss" you departure and head home!

It's mad there is no Apple Store here yet.
    Personally, i'd wait for the 7 to come out.

I would but I got the 5S almost a year after it was released and just before the Iphone 6 was released. By the time the 7s comes will be next year and I don't see why I would bother buying the 7 when they will do so small improvements on the 7s in 2017.

Also the battery lasts hours on the 5s, have to use speakers or headphones to talk normal answering way doesn't work and the Voice activation just switches on/off whenever they want. I have already forked out around 100 quid for a new screen so not going to waste more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dixons at Dublin airport had it for €630. Prob cheaper to buy a 9.99 Ryanair ticket and "miss" you departure and head home!

Worst piece of advice ever. Do not do this. Airlines know when you've checked in and gone through security and will hold the flight for a set amount of time for straggling passengers. You're going to cause a lot of inconvenience to a plane full of passengers just to save a couple of quid on a phone? Mind boggles sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

With sterling low at the moment there's some cracking bargains to be had in Belfast. You can save almost €140 off the 6s+!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Hi, sorry for hijacking the thread, if I ordered a new phone from the Apple UK website would they defiantly not deliver to an irish address? Would it have to go through parcel motel? Has anyone experience with this? Don't know if I would be too keen on sending a phone through parcel motel given the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

Aye turns out my 6s from the Belfast store converted to €629
    You will need parcel motel to get it on Apple.co.uk

Advertisement