Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey for the Gods

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

still haven't played this 5 years after backing it, I'll wait for PM's review as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I found a way to skip from the first to the fourth boss.

This was a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Haven't played much of this, distracted by a new Series X, the Witcher season 2, the Expanse, i'm nearly finished rewatching Spartacus, and still need to get in my Rocket League hours. So only a couple of hours played. Onto the second boss, and I'll be honest, I'm not enjoying the survival and weapon degradation aspects of it. Maybe it gets a bit better further on, but for now they're coming across as annoying and unnecessary.

The world seems well made, and the graphics, while won't be competing with AAA games, are pretty damn good. It does feel and play like a PS3 game though, movement isn't the smoothest and I find myself stopping/getting caught on small bumps on the ground. Combat is fairly simple so far, bow, melee weapons, glider and grappling gun, with only the glider being the only one that doesn't degrade.

The 2 boss fights I've done weren't the hardest, first is actually too easy, seems like you need to stand still for it to attack. It doesn't explain itself much, but if you've played SOTC then you'll know the drill, climb to glowy spots and instead of stabbing there, there's a bell you pull out and slam back in a few times before you move onto the next one. Second boss doesn't appear hard but I kept dieing because I kept forgetting about the grapple gun, and seemingly just touching the top/teeth of the boss is instant death.

There's a new update today, not sure what that did but I'll keep at it for another while. I will say that the draw of games I haven't played that were Xbox One exclusives is slightly stronger than my will to keep playing this. I reckon some people will thoroughly enjoy it, but I'm not feeling it right now, and it would be unfair of me to judge it too soon. I wouldn't blame people if they wait for Plus/Now/GP inclusion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bah, adblocker blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Only 4 reviews on metacritic yet. 5 User reviews with scores of 39 and 7.0 respectively

From the little bit I've played of it, I'll tend to agre with the verdict from IGN, and I haven't got to any standout bosses yet. I'm also very distracted by Gamepass.

Verdict

Praey for the Gods falls far short of the classic monster-climbing game it so clearly draws inspiration from. The sluggish climbing and combat controls make even the standout boss fights so consistently frustrating that it’s hard to enjoy the highlights. Combine that with technical issues and irritating survival mechanics, and you get an adventure that’s often more trouble than it’s worth.

Advertisement