Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private rented dispute

Options
  • 06-07-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Advice needed, feel a little isolated after all this..

I am in private rented accommodation, I have been asked to leave after a few weeks.
    We agreed no drinking smoking parties in house, one night after a few pints during the Euros we came back to grab some things so my mate could head home from there.
    This caused a serious f'n issue with these ppl. Obsessive psychotic would be a way to describe it but not the dangerous kind.
    We got over that and moved on, a few weeks later I was working odd shifts, I made food, went to bed, had cleaned after myself and everything was grand, but hadnt a mark from the juice remained on the counter and one of the girls had blown a gasket and woke me over it.
    I'm not sure what to do about all this.... Any advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Have since been told to leave when current renting period is up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Do you have a lease OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Sounds like you would be better off out of there. Nobody should have to live like that.Eggshells and all that. Any friends you could live with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NiceSwan

Who told you to leave? are they in control of the lease? is your name on the lease?

If it is a joint lease contact the landlord. you leaving even at the request of other tenants breaks that lease. In this climate the landlord could easily say 1 out all out and add a few hundred on to the gaff for new tenants.

Once you didn't break any rules on the lease then tell your housemates to jog on.

to be honest it sounds like they have someone lined up for your room thus creating drama for their own goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Moved to Accommodation & Property

Make sure you read the charter before posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Its a sweet GAF, but now I'm bout to be stuck for accommodation. It was more of a housemate agreement than anything. I'm happy enough with how the 'lease' worked and that I'll get my deposit back.. But Im a bit fckin pissed bout having to move.. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I'm sure your housemates have a very different version of events.

If they don't want drinking at home, they probably don't want you and your mate having a can after the pub while he waits for a taxi.
    If they're very clean, they don't want to be cleaning up after you. It's clear you didn't wipe down the counter if there was juice, in their eyes you shouldn't have to notice stain you should clean it down anyway.

Sounds like they see you as likely to be a problem, in their eyes, in the longer term, and want to nip it in the bud.

I'm not judging your behaviour, it's normal behaviour. If I were you I'd be asking "Do I want to live with weirdos who inspect counter tops right after I'm gone, and who don't like a drink and/or sit down and have a can after the pub".

You need to find yourself more social housemates, and the more average gaff which allows for that. Life's too short to spend it with weirdos because the couch and kitchen are nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, could you afford to cover the rent for the whole place? If you could, then maybe you could tell all the housemates to stay, and you get some more.

Other than that, happy house hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Just chiming in here to dispel the never live with the owner myth; the wife and I are on the second housemate and we actually enjoy having someone else here, which we never thought we would. Also it's much easier to deal with one person/couple. Granted it's my way (well wife's :P) or the highway but it seems that at least you know where you stand and dealing with random housemates coming and going doesn't seem to be working out any better for the denizens on this forum!

Advertisement