Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot get eir Sports

Options
  • 06-07-2016 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a Sky subscriber.
    I do not use MAC.
    I do not use Windows.

I have both DVB-S & DVB-T receiver (not Sky).
    I have a PC with Linux operating system.

I have been a customer of eircom/eir for several decades.

How can I access the eir sports channels?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

I do not use MAC.
    I do not use Windows.

Thank you.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Johnboy1951,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]What services are you availing of from eir?[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I do not use MAC.
    I do not use Windows.

Thank you.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Johnboy1951,[/font]

Broadband and basic phone.

Thanks for responding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

I do not use MAC.
    I do not use Windows.

Thank you.

Broadband and basic phone.

Thanks for responding.
    No problem,

As you are an Eir broadband customer you can register your details online at https://www.eir.ie/sport/

You must be registered to MyEir first in order to register for EirSport. Once you have registered you can watch this on any laptop, smartphone or tablet :)

Kind Regards,
    Ciara

OK, I will try again.
    Please accept that MyEir etc etc are all ok.

Now to the question

How can I access eir Sports services if I do not have a Sky subscription or Sky hardware, and do not have Silverlight installed, nor the facility to install Silverlight?

Thank you.

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge do not support Microsoft Silverlight which is required for the eir Sport service. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]You can use any the following browsers: Internet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Safari[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]If you do not have access to Silverlight I am afraid you would be unable to use this service.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Kind Regards,[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Ciara.[/font]

• Advertisement

eir: Ciara wrote: »
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge do not support Microsoft Silverlight which is required for the eir Sport service. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]You can use any the following browsers: Internet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Safari[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]If you do not have access to Silverlight I am afraid you would be unable to use this service.[/font]

Thank you.

Do eir have any plans to ditch that failed Silverlight for some other (open) standard?

It seems rather odd to tie up the service with something that is not made available for everybody.

Thank you.

Do eir have any plans to ditch that failed Silverlight for some other (open) standard?

It seems rather odd to tie up the service with something that is not made available for everybody.

Thank you.

We have no plans for this at the moment but I will be sure to relay your feedback onto the relevant department however.

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.

The other option might be for eir to issue a decryption card that does not require a subscription to Sky services and the use of Sky hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

If you have an Android device (phone, tablet etc.), you can download the eir Sport App and avail of the channels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

NUTZZ wrote: »
    If you have an Android device (phone, tablet etc.), you can download the eir Sport App and avail of the channels too.
    Not unless you have Android 4.4 or higher.

• Advertisement

Mebuntu wrote: »
    That leaves me out ......  my old phone has 2.2 on it  :)  (just checked)
    Tablet has 4.0.3 so that is out also.

The real solution is for eir to stop using a format that limits people's use.
    Others can manage that .....

Mebuntu wrote: »
    That leaves me out ......  my old phone has 2.2 on it  :)  (just checked)
    Tablet has 4.0.3   so that is out also.

The real solution is for eir to stop using a format that limits people's use.
    Others can manage that .....
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for your feedback [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Johnboy1951, [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll pass this on.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭shmeee

Just update your tablet Johnboy, not rocket science. You seem to be a clever man btw.

shmeee wrote: »
    Just update your tablet Johnboy, not rocket science. You seem to be a clever man btw.
    That old tablet is an old Arnova GBook thing that is not up to much.
    I really have no use for a tablet nor a smart phone so have not replaced either, nor am I likely to in the future.
    I am PC based in my internet use  ;)

The other option might be for eir to issue a decryption card that does not require a subscription to Sky services and the use of Sky hardware.
    Is this a possibility?
    I could then integrate reception of the Satellite channels into the present set up.

Is this a possibility?
    I could then integrate reception of the Satellite channels into the present set up.
    I'm afraid not  Johnboy1951.

-Pamela 

Thanks Pamela.

I have to express my 'disappointment' at eir's attitude to this.
    Eir claims the sports is available free to all its customers, but consciously provides this service in two formats

1.  Behind a paywall ......  requiring a Sky card and Sky hardware to use the Sky Satellite decryption card. Because of the limitations designed into this hardware it cannot be integrated into an existing setup (no IPTV output that I am aware of).

2.  on line using a proprietary streaming format (Silverlight) that is available only through limited means == limited choice of browser and limited choice of operating system.

Even Microsoft does not support this old Silverlight across all its Windows products, and they make it !!!!!!!

Thanks Pamela.

I have to express my 'disappointment' at eir's attitude to this.
    Eir claims the sports is available free to all its customers, but consciously provides this service in two formats

1.  Behind a paywall ......  requiring a Sky card and Sky hardware to use the Sky Satellite decryption card. Because of the limitations designed into this hardware it cannot be integrated into an existing setup (no IPTV output that I am aware of).

2.  on line using a proprietary streaming format (Silverlight) that is available only through limited means == limited choice of browser and limited choice of operating system.

Even Microsoft does not support this old Silverlight across all its Windows products, and they make it !!!!!!!
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Johnboy1951,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll relay this feedback onto the relevant team.[/font]

Advertisement