Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Delayed

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

1234931504682.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Aren't they filming in Ireland though? What's the difference?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Book readers have been living with this frustration pretty much since book 3 release I think.
    Wasnt that the one that ended with "you will be reunited with your favourite characters next year"? 3 years later we got the book.......

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Tenger wrote: »
    Book readers have been living with this frustration pretty much since book 3 release I think.
    Wasnt that the one that ended with "you will be reunited with your favourite characters next year"? 3 years later we got the book.......

That was A Feast For Crows, book 4.

Rumour has it that Martin brought Dance in one year later and his publisher wouldn't accept it as they thought it was rubbish, so he had to spend the next five years rewriting it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There must be plenty locations in the southern hemisphere that has a 100m icewall or a few fields with mud huts or a harbour that they could use.

Obviously it would be tricky to get dorne exactly right and the fans would probably be all over that. You know, ruining a fan favourite and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The_Mac wrote: »
    That was A Feast For Crows, book 4.

Rumour has it that Martin brought Dance in one year later and his publisher wouldn't accept it as they thought it was rubbish, so he had to spend the next five years rewriting it.
    Never heard that rumour. I always thought it was the Meereenese knot that held him up with ADWD.

Are we looking at late October 2017 running up to Christmas then? No way it will be shown over the summer along with all the filler crap you get on TV at that time of year.

Are we looking at late October 2017 running up to Christmas then? No way it will be shown over the summer along with all the filler crap you get on TV at that time of year.
    They don't actually know yet. They are just saying it'll "probably" be a "little bit" later. This in response to a question as to whether it would premiere in April.

So "probably" a "little bit" later than April. But since it's likely that the season will consist of less than ten episodes (most estimates are saying seven), it may well end the season at around the same time as this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Dare I hope this is something to do with airing after a book release?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

pinkypinky wrote: »

lol, still won't be out by then

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Afraid not. It's a pragmatic decision based on shooting locations and the need to have wintry skies and/or snow during shooting.

Normally shooting takes place between July and December. They could be delaying shooting by as much as three or four months in order to get winter weather. Because they are shooting for less episodes, they probably won't need as long a shooting schedule; perhaps reducing that by as much as two months which would put completion of shooting sometime in January or February.

Assuming that this directly translates into a premiere date, you could have the first episode airing around the end of May instead of the end of April (factoring in that post production takes a little bit less time because of the reduced number of episodes), then you'd have the seventh episode airing one week later than the tenth episode did this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

May or June next year according to the Game of thrones insta acc

duploelabs wrote: »
    May or June next year according to the Game of thrones insta acc
    Pretty close to what I suspected. :cool:

Hopefully they can keep to that schedule and it doesn't slip a la GRRM. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Normally shooting takes place between July and December. They could be delaying shooting by as much as three or four months in order to get winter weather. Because they are shooting for less episodes, they probably won't need as long a shooting schedule; perhaps reducing that by as much as two months which would put completion of shooting sometime in January or February.

lTnmoovTQuibFUC6SHac_b96618d5fefe4ba3e6094d1eb8e87b99.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :o

Feckit anyways, terrible news.

I had for some reason assumed though that the reduced number of episodes was because they were going to be longer and/or there's going to be a higher proportion of big, difficult to shoot episodes. So a smaller amount of episodes would take the same amount of time to shoot. I'm pretty sure I didn't read that anywhere though so who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Confirmed to premier next summer with only 7 episodes

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/18/game-thrones-season-7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The_Mac wrote: »

It was still rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wonder will the last episode be feature length. Probably last episode overall too. Jebus one year is too long freeze me now and wake me in 48 weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wonder will the last episode be feature length. Probably last episode overall too. Jebus one year is too long freeze me now and wake me in 48 weeks.
    The producers have previously told EW they wanted to cap the hit series at 73 hours
    With season 7 at 7 episodes, season 8 at 8 episodes and previous 60 episodes at 1h it's highly unlikely.

Well, its official now. GoT will end with season 8 in 2018 as confirmed by HBO. 7 episodes for next season, but interestingly it seems the number of episodes for the final season is yet to be determined. Spinoffs have also been discussed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36934888

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Well, its official now. GoT will end with season 8 in 2018 as confirmed by HBO. 7 episodes for next season, but interestingly it seems the number of episodes for the final season is yet to be determined. Spinoffs have also been discussed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36934888
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there is only going to be 13 episodes then this is balls and there should only be one more season. Ten episodes is not a lot and is over in the blink of an eye. You're just getting into the series when it's nearly over.

The only positive I can see to having 7 episodes is that hopefully there won't be filler and every episode will be excellent.

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there is only going to be 13 episodes then this is balls and there should only be one more season. Ten episodes is not a lot and is over in the blink of an eye. You're just getting into the series when it's nearly over.

The only positive I can see to having 7 episodes is that hopefully there won't be filler and every episode will be excellent.
    They could do it in one 13 episode season but I'd say it would be delayed even more. Might not be ready until 2018 anyway.

It took twenty days of filming just for Battle of the Bastards afair. Episodes like that, you're talking about a month's work never mind post and CGI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I hate when people say this. GoT is hardly a show with a lot of filler.

Just because an episode does not contain major dramatic moments does not mean it's filler.
    You can have plenty of character development or scene setting that does not mean it is just filler.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I hate when people say this. GoT is hardly a show with a lot of filler.

Just because an episode does not contain major dramatic moments does not mean it's filler.
    You can have plenty of character development or scene setting that does not mean it is just filler.
    I would class the Greyworm/Messandri lovestory, telling jokes, getting drunk etc as filler. There's plenty in the show that adds nothing to fill the time in between the more expensive episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I would class the Greyworm/Messandri lovestory, telling jokes, getting drunk etc as filler. There's plenty in the show that adds nothing to fill the time in between the more expensive episodes.

I would regard it is character development and also establishing relationships between characters so you know where loyalties may lie.

Can also be some comic relief in an often intense show.

Just because a scene does not move a story forward, it does not mean it's a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

There's undeniably filler and plot points that are stretched way out or characters who just have basically the same scene/'development' several times over; but it's there for a reason usually. Character A has to do thing Y before Character B can do thing X, so until A does Y B doesn't have much to do, but if B's a big character we still need to check in with them.

In the earlier seasons characters just sitting around talking to each other in a way that didn't propel the plot were some of the best bits - Robert and Ned, Cersei and Robert, Tywin and anyone. And there still are scenes like that - Cersei and Olenna, and Jaime and Edmure from this season, off the top of my head. But Greyworm and Missandei fell flat for me, and things like the Sandsnakes having mad bantz I think we can safely say the show could have lived without.

It's subjective though, one of the first ones that perplexed me was the whole Podrick Payne: Love God little diversion, found it cringy rather than funny and didn't see the point of it being there. But other people really liked it. There'll always have to be filler because of the amount of characters, and they can't please all the people all the time with it, but I'd say things will get leaner and faster now. Things moved at a ferocious pace this last season compared to all previous ones like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Been confirmed for July 16th

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I cancelled my sky recently. The only thing that gave me a moments pause was missing game of thrones. Its a great end of spring start of summer show to watch on sunday nights. But with the delays and zany scripts, i think ill wait till its on dvd and watch it at xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The teaser trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Never heard that rumour. I always thought it was the Meereenese knot that held him up with ADWD.

Didn't he write Feast for Crows as a "five years later" set up going on, then decided he himself hated it and started over again? I've definitely read that a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep, the "flash forward" was what originally derailed the progress on the books. He found he kept having to flashback into that 5 year gap to explain things so re-did the entire novel causing himself a 5 year delay.

The "Meerenese Knot" was the problems he was having in Dance With Dragons in getting all the characters he needed to converge in Mereen there in a convincing fashion that fit the timelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Weird mistake in the video there
    When you hear Qyburn announcing Cersei as queen it captions High Septon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

First trailer for Game of Stares. Walking is Coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Those who find themselves ridiculous, sit down next to me ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Nice little promo and gives away more about the focus of Season 7 than one might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Cersci's Icy breath, is she to become a white walker?

• Advertisement

That'll be a nice profile lift for James.

Dany will be
    already in what looks like Dragonstone by the time the new season starts? I like that, get right into it.

That said, she probably won't do much now until the last few episodes of Season 8, getting caught up in local politics and conflicts on some isles surrounding
    Dragonstone
    in the meantime :pac:

When I think of the show, I often forget that that the last two episodes of season 6 killed off many characters and storylines. Just off the top of my head, Ramsay and the Boltons, poor Rickon, Margery, Loras and basically the future of House Tyrell, Lancel and Kevan Lannister, Tommen, the High Sparrow, Pycelle, Walder Frey.

The show is now arguably the leanest its been since its first season, and at only seven episodes I really hope they make the most of every scene with little to no needless filler thrown in. I'm not expecting every episode to raise the bar and redefine television (just the last two!) but I am hopeful for a focused, concise story. The show has done very well in fairness at setting the pieces in place for the final two seasons, I hope they make the most of that good work.

With that said, for example, if we never see Dorne again that's just fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Promo ruined by terrible music choice.

Arghus wrote: »
    Promo ruined by terrible music choice.

Words are well suited if you listen to them tbh.

It's not like it's the first time the show has taken mad choices in terms of music. For example the bizarre choice of heavy metal music to the sound of Jaime's maiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ben Gadot wrote: »

It's not like it's the first time the show has taken mad choices in terms of music. For example the bizarre choice of heavy metal music to the sound of Jaime's maiming.

Oh the words are hard to miss - they're so on the nose they make me cringe! Just all felt a bit cheesy and obvious to me.

Ben Gadot wrote: »

That was the Bear and the Maiden fair, practically the only song that exists in westeros apart from the rains of castlemyr

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Cersci's Icy breath, is she to become a white walker?
    I thought it meant that winter has finally reached sunny King's Landing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    Nymeria is watching Arya i think, or maybe bran warging through her, she may be taking up the LS storyline.
    Liked seeing The Mountain has been styled with a mix of cylon/vader, with the black and silver which seems to be the queensguard colours now, and could explain the new sidyl on his chest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Watching that I feel like Ive forgotten half of what went on. I'm sure it'll all come back to me!

Wow - 2 days have passed and not one comment on the trailer!

I will begin.

Looks like Dany is attacking Casterly Rock - I wonder if they are going to put Tyrion in charge there - he IS the heir since Jaime became a Kingsguard?

Looks like someone is watching Arya? I certainly hope its the Hound - they were great onscreen together.

Could that be Jorah Mormonts scaly arm we catch glimpse of?

Most interesting part of the trailer (for me) is what looks like Jon Snow slamming Littlefinger into a wall in the crypt of Winterfell. Could Littlefinger be revealing Jons parentage to him (does Littlefinger know his parentage?). Or could Jon be warning him to stay away from Sansa?
    I wouldn't say LF is dropping that bomb on Jon.

If I had to guess I'd say he's making a wormy negative comparison between Jon and Ned in their political nous.

Nice to see Jon in ful wilding get up.

He is the Hand of the Queen, her most trusted adviser and knows Westeros inside out. No way is she leaving him at Casterly Rock. Plus he murdered his father and would likely end up dead himself if left there ;)

Im not the only one with the Nymeria theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Second trailer...

Got chills watching it. In terms of battles, this shorter season looks like it's going all out.

Can't wait.

• Advertisement
Advertisement