Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New oven at last! What to look for?

Options
  • 06-07-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I finally get the opportunity to buy a second oven and I'm astounded at the number of different functions that are now available over and above the usual conventional/fan choices. I do quite a lot of cooking and baking and there no restrictions regarding placement or building in of the new oven. I could even consider an extra wide 90cm built in one too.

So what are the functions you couldn't live without and which ones would you love that you don't have already and why?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've had a wide oven for the last two years and I love it (American wide, not quite 90cm wide). I'd choose a wide oven, to have a choice of convection or convention cooking, self-cleaning, a "preheat" function... I'm sure there are other things, but that's off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd love to be able to switch the fan off when I'm baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've got one where the door slides in under the oven, makes it very easy to put things in and take things out.

Unfortunately, those don't come with a self-clean function. That would be a useful thing to have, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've got one where the door slides in under the oven, makes it very easy to put things in and take things out.

Unfortunately, those don't come with a self-clean function. That would be a useful thing to have, too.

I have seen those doors, they look such a good idea.
    Does anyone have a steam oven? Or a proving drawer?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Higher temp than standard. Mine gets really hot, there is no temp indication on it at all but its hotter than any other I have used, good for pizzas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My mother in law has one that beeps when the oven reaches the temperature you're aiming for. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

twignme wrote: »
    I have seen those doors, they look such a good idea.
    Does anyone have a steam oven? Or a proving drawer?

A proving drawer would be nifty.
    I'm not sure a steam oven makes so much sense - I usually turn mine into one when needed by putting a pan with boiling water in it.

Shenshen wrote: »
    A proving drawer would be nifty.
    I'm not sure a steam oven makes so much sense - I usually turn mine into one when needed by putting a pan with boiling water in it.

I do similar when I bake bread but I was wondering if the steam ovens gave a more regulated and consistent atmosphere? I agree that the extra cost wouldn't be justified if a bowl of water can do the same job so I would love to hear from anyone who owns one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I wonder can you find one with all of the above? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Would like an oven where the door goes under, like on the great British bake off. Have got a few burns from the oven door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I looked up proving drawers before and a lot of what I read suggested that proving drawers make dough rise too quickly.

I looked up proving drawers before and a lot of what I read suggested that proving drawers make dough rise too quickly.

I'm reading a bit more about them now too, it looks like you are right. I also realise that I can't really afford a gizmo that is quite limited in use. A very expensive plate warmer maybe !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally I'd be more inclined to go for an oven (or any other appliance for that matter) that does a few things as well as possible, than one with all kinds of programs, bells, whistles and gizmos that you'll only ever use once or twice for the novelty and then forget about. Unfortunately that's getting more and more difficult as manufacturers add features to differentiate their products from those of other manufacturers.

If I look at the features I use on, for example, our washing machine, dishwasher, cooker and bread maker, I'd say that 99.9% of the time I'll use one, or maybe two programs, despite at the time looking through brochures and thinking "That'd be handy!". The others are used either once when the thing is brand new, or never at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    Personally I'd be more inclined to go for an oven (or any other appliance for that matter) that does a few things as well as possible, than one with all kinds of programs, bells, whistles and gizmos that you'll only ever use once or twice for the novelty and then forget about. Unfortunately that's getting more and more difficult as manufacturers add features to differentiate their products from those of other manufacturers.

If I look at the features I use on, for example, our washing machine, dishwasher, cooker and bread maker, I'd say that 99.9% of the time I'll use one, or maybe two programs, despite at the time looking through brochures and thinking "That'd be handy!". The others are used either once when the thing is brand new, or never at all.

This was my view when replacing my oven.
    Things that were important for me :

Dimensions. I wanted a double oven. Many models have tiny internal dimensions in the top oven.

Temperature. I want high heat.

Ability to turn off fan in main oven.

Knobs rather than buttons and digital readings.

Less gadgets and programs.

All the above left me with a choice of one oven. Turned out to be an Electrolux. Have it a good few years now and am very happy with it.

This was my view when replacing my oven.
    Things that were important for me :

Dimensions. I wanted a double oven. Many models have tiny internal dimensions in the top oven.

Temperature. I want high heat.

Ability to turn off fan in main oven.

Knobs rather than buttons and digital readings.

Less gadgets and programs.

All the above left me with a choice of one oven. Turned out to be an Electrolux. Have it a good few years now and am very happy with it.

That's a good list and very similar to my needs, especially the capacity. I'm also looking at things like very fast heat up and self cleaning and not terribly bothered with lots of pre-programmed recipe or cook times that some ovens have.
    I will certainly look at the electrolux ovens, hadn't really considered them up to now so thanks for the good steer!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

For what you're looking for, I'd definitely be considering a Neff single oven. It can meat pretty much all your requirements.

You can get a slide and hide (door goes under the oven), self cleaning, steam oven within their range - for around the 1300 euro mark.

The oven has your standard convectional, fan, and grill options.

It has a temperature probe that can be used to cook by core temperature as opposed to setting a standard time length on it.

The steam function is absolutely fantastic for baking the likes of scones/cakes, you'll never taste a nicer one, the added moisture really improves the consistency. It's also fantastic for simple things like chicken goujons etc.

I sell ovens for a living and it'd definitely be my main choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's a good list and very similar to my needs, especially the capacity. I'm also looking at things like very fast heat up and self cleaning and not terribly bothered with lots of pre-programmed recipe or cook times that some ovens have.
    I will certainly look at the electrolux ovens, hadn't really considered them up to now so thanks for the good steer!

I've recently fitted a new kitchen and specced up the appliances. I like cooking and have had various frustrations over the years. I chose to instal two single ovens rather than a double oven to get best bang for buck. Each is full size with a grill and fan/no fan options. Most importantly both are self cleaning and a bonus of that is that they each heat consistently up to 250c which is handy for pizza making.

Each oven cost approx €600 and is from Bosch - from the more practical/useful value for money end of their range. Model is
    HBA73R350B

Marcusm wrote: »
    I've recently fitted a new kitchen and specced up the appliances. I like cooking and have had various frustrations over the years. I chose to instal two single ovens rather than a double oven to get best bang for buck. Each is full size with a grill and fan/no fan options. Most importantly both are self cleaning and a bonus of that is that they each heat consistently up to 250c which is handy for pizza making.

Each oven cost approx €600 and is from Bosch - from the more practical/useful value for money end of their range. Model is
    HBA73R350B

That's another brand I hadn't considered before and should have done as I have always been happy with other tools I have bought that are made by them. I guess it just goes to show the power of marketing, especially using search engines when only a few brands consistently appear in the search list.
    Have you checked the oven temperatures for accuracy at all Marcusm?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Many, many years ago my Mum had a cooker with a rotisserie that worked with the eye-level grill. She used it quite a bit to spit roast chicken, roasts of pork and the like. Not to everyone's taste but she used to stuff lamb hearts and do them on the rotisserie, they were moist and absolutely delicious. Wish I had some now. Wish I had a rotisserie too.

janmaree wrote: »
    Many, many years ago my Mum had a cooker with a rotisserie that worked with the eye-level grill. She used it quite a bit to spit roast chicken, roasts of pork and the like. Not to everyone's taste but she used to stuff lamb hearts and do them on the rotisserie, they were moist and absolutely delicious. Wish I had some now. Wish I had a rotisserie too.

You just took me back years janmaree, I remember those rotisseries very well and it was quite an art to get them loaded properly and balanced otherwise they were all over the place! They were all the rage about the same time as the original hostess trolleys and teasmades, brilliant things! And I remember making roasted and stuffed lambs hearts for my 'domestic science' exam over 40 years ago :eek: and they were wonderful but haven't done them since.

Gosh, happy days ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They were all the rage.
    Ours looked similar to this, so did a few friends ones.

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

I think the knobs on ours were more like this.
    ZDY2YzllOWQ4YTgyMzk4MDI4OTBkZDA1MGEwNjdlMTgj0pxKf0P2GCDmKG31gxt9aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYTgzZDdjMjdjMWEyYzVkZGU2Mzg3NzdkMmUwMDBjMjk3ODRmNmVhZDE1ZGJiMmE5ZDdiYTE0YmQwNmRmY2IxYi5qcGd8fHx8fHwyOTV4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

The big handle was twisted to open it. There was then a second glass door inside which was a good idea since you could view the food but not let all the warm air rush out easily. I remember the spikey clamp things to stick in the chicken. Like you say if not balanced it was screwed, it would be turning around and around with the chicken hanging there heavy side down not turning.

Great photos rubadub, a nice reminder of the glass doors that were an absolute divil to clean but worked really well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You just took me back years janmaree, I remember those rotisseries very well and it was quite an art to get them loaded properly and balanced otherwise they were all over the place! They were all the rage about the same time as the original hostess trolleys and teasmades, brilliant things! And I remember making roasted and stuffed lambs hearts for my 'domestic science' exam over 40 years ago :eek: and they were wonderful but haven't done them since.

Gosh, happy days ....

Remember back then, potato soup was the first thing they let us cook? The worst part was having to clean the mouli strainer afterwards :(

166hypy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

They were all the rage about the same time as the original hostess trolleys

Gosh, happy days ....

Happy days indeed and your mention of hostess trolleys made me smile as I have Mum's still, it works perfectly despite being many decades old and has been out to dinner in other people's houses more often than I have! I get annoyed at the currently fashionable snide references to them, frankly uttered by those who know sweet f a about them, as if they're a sad reflection on years gone by. Many a marriage has been saved by "what time d'you call this?" followed by "your dinner is in the trolley" rather than "in the dog"!!! Ours even served as a cat feeding station when the dog was on a diet and would eat everything she could reach!

And I think I'm going to give the hearts a try, gentle roasting and lots of fingers xd! I'll let you know how they turn out! ;)

Talking of hostess trolleys and such like, I was at someones house the other day and she asked if we would like coffee. What did she get out of one of the kitchen presses but a ceramic Russell Hobbs electric coffe percolator!! I don't think I've seen one of those since the early 70's.

Alun wrote: »
    Talking of hostess trolleys and such like, I was at someones house the other day and she asked if we would like coffee. What did she get out of one of the kitchen presses but a ceramic Russell Hobbs electric coffe percolator!! I don't think I've seen one of those since the early 70's.

Was the coffee good Alun and did it have the little glass bubble in the lid so you could see it percolating? How wonderful that it's still working.

The first thing we cooked in the cooking class at school was shepherds pie, but bear in mind this was many moons ago when anything other than salt and white pepper would have been unknown and considered a little exotic. We were taught to boil the mince and onions in water until they took on a lovely greyish shade then just top with mashed potatoes. Yumm. And olive oil was only available in perfume sized bottles from the chemist and used to cure earache....

Good luck with the hearts janmaree, let us know how they turn out!

Sorry Mods, I've taken us a little off my original thread topic but getting a bit carried away with the reminiscing. I think we have the makings of a whole new thread here!

Was the coffee good Alun and did it have the little glass bubble in the lid so you could see it percolating? How wonderful that it's still working.
    Yes, complete with all the glug, glug noises. Really took me back.
    We were taught to boil the mince and onions in water until they took on a lovely greyish shade ...
    Hey, that was my mum's recipe too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My mother has a less fancy tricity oven, but it still has the glass inner door and a superb grill. The elements on top have been replaced a billion times. I have dibs on it if she ever gets rid of it (though after 30odd years, I might be waiting a while yet).

Living in rental houses, I have yet to encounter an actual good oven, but i can list all the bad points of a cheap oven...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Double oven !!!'n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's another brand I hadn't considered before and should have done as I have always been happy with other tools I have bought that are made by them. I guess it just goes to show the power of marketing, especially using search engines when only a few brands consistently appear in the search list.
    Have you checked the oven temperatures for accuracy at all Marcusm?

No, not that fussy!!! I'm more of an instinctivecook adn don't do that much baking. Having checked again, in fact the thermostat goes up to 300C.

Advertisement