Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New oven at last! What to look for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Marcusm wrote: »
    No, not that fussy!!!
    Me neither, but after discovering that my oven is actually hotter than it should be by about 20 degrees, it's made life a lot easier. It is getting on a bit mind you so could be just a faulty thermostat or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I finally splashed out and got a Neff oven last year with the slide and hide door after coveting them for ages on the GBBO. I was wondering if I was daft to go for it instead of a standard one for half the price.

Not any more! I absolutely love it. Really easy to use with enough functions that are useful (fan on or off for baking, self-cleaning cycle, low heat so I can slow cook properly etc.) but not loads of settings I never use.

My sister has since got a similar one into her new kitchen and is also very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

I finally splashed out and got a Neff oven last year with the slide and hide door after coveting them for ages on the GBBO. I was wondering if I was daft to go for it instead of a standard one for half the price.

Not any more! I absolutely love it. Really easy to use with enough functions that are useful (fan on or off for baking, self-cleaning cycle, low heat so I can slow cook properly etc.) but not loads of settings I never use.

My sister has since got a similar one into her new kitchen and is also very happy with it.

Does it have the bread proving function whistlejacket? I just saw that the other day on the Neff site and wondered how effective it was as it's something I would find very useful. And the circotherm thingy that heats up very quickly? Is there anything about the oven that you don't like or would change?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm actually looking forward to the day my oven dies so I can buy a Neff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

This is a very informative thread and I will refer to it when our oven succumbs to the "chip" again but I'm REALLY feeling my age today. Not only do I have an old Sona coffee percolator (from 40 years ago) sitting on the draining board waiting to be refilled, I have two "new" ones in reserve for when my current one finally gives up the ghost. It was a gift from my Mum and I am emotionally attached to it (sad excuse for a grownup that I am :o) but when it's perking away in the kitchen, the aroma of fresh coffee takes me back and just makes me feel better. Thank goodness I say, for Ebay and all the hoarding types who decide to share :) Over and out.

• Advertisement

I'm actually looking forward to the day my oven dies so I can buy a Neff :)

They do look rather good. I'm thinking of heading over to the Neff showroom so I can see them all up close and personal, just for comparison purposes you understand ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

twignme wrote: »
    They do look rather good. I'm thinking of heading over to the Neff showroom so I can see them all up close and personal, just for comparison purposes you understand ;)

Ooh, report back please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We inherited our Hostess trolley from my Granny I believe. We only ever used it at Christmas when we had lots of people over. It was a real lifesaver. Went to plug it in last year and the plug socket had corroded to dust.

Bought a new electric oven/hob last year. Hob is rubbish. :(

Ooh, report back please :)

I went today!
    It was well worth the trip, they have all the Neff, Siemens and Bosch there and the staff are really knowledgeable. When I called for directions they made an appointment so there would be someone available to spend time with me. The woman I spoke with was a cook and also the one who does their demonstrations, so she had first hand knowledge of the equipment and wasn't simply a salesperson.

The Neff are terrific ovens, closely followed by the Siemens and the functions you can choose really are fabulous. I'm really taken by the vario steam and bread proving but closely followed by the reheat, keep warm, ultra fast heat up, meat probe, and after playing with the hide and slide door, the regular door on the other ovens just felt damned awkward ...oh alright, yes I loved ALL of them!!

Unfortunately, as they are just the showrooms they don't have any pricing information so it was difficult to compare value side by side. I will have to do some searching now to get some prices but it will be a little easier as I am clear about what each of the models can do. All I have to do now is flog the family jewels so I can afford one .....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Does it have the bread proving function whistlejacket? I just saw that the other day on the Neff site and wondered how effective it was as it's something I would find very useful. And the circotherm thingy that heats up very quickly? Is there anything about the oven that you don't like or would change?

Yes you can prove bread in it by just turning the light on. I've only used it once or twice as I normally make sourdough and prove it in the fridge overnight. It worked well though, it didn't get too hot which I think can be a problem with the proving drawers.

The circotherm rapid heat is very handy. It's on the fan oven only which has a max heat of 200C so if I need it hotter I heat the fan first and then switch to the baking functions (fan plus bottom +/- top element) for the last 30-40 degrees.

Overall I'm very happy with it and wouldn't change it.

• Advertisement

Yes you can prove bread in it by just turning the light on. I've only used it once or twice as I normally make sourdough and prove it in the fridge overnight. It worked well though, it didn't get too hot which I think can be a problem with the proving drawers.

The circotherm rapid heat is very handy. It's on the fan oven only which has a max heat of 200C so if I need it hotter I heat the fan first and then switch to the baking functions (fan plus bottom +/- top element) for the last 30-40 degrees.

Overall I'm very happy with it and wouldn't change it.

Having seem them now up close and personal, I can see why you are pleased. It's nice to know that all the hype does actually translate into real life. I was told in the showroom that the oven can heat from cold to 180 in about 6 to 8 minutes. That's about 20 minutes quicker than my current oven!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

We inherited our Hostess trolley from my Granny I believe. We only ever used it at Christmas when we had lots of people over. It was a real lifesaver. Went to plug it in last year and the plug socket had corroded to dust.

Bought a new electric oven/hob last year. Hob is rubbish. :(

Just in case you're thinking about it, they can still be had.

http://powercity.ie/?par=60-45-6232D

http://forsale.popamo.ie/used/hostess-trolley

Advertisement