Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergal D'Arcy -afternoons on Today FM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

The guy seems like a total loose cannon, O'Sullivan was mad to put him on afternoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The guy seems like a total loose cannon, O'Sullivan was mad to put him on afternoons.

In what sense ?

I find him bland and stereotypical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

threein99 wrote: »
    In what sense ?

I find him bland and stereotypical

Perhaps loose canon is a reference to his manic style of presenting which can be overbearing at times. My guess is Today FM are looking to pitch him at younger listeners. Today FM's audience has been ageing and older listeners have been leaving. Today fm have to recruit younger listeners to offset the loss. The recruitment of Darcy and the jettisoning of Declan Meehan etc is evidence they are aiming younger.

sligono1 wrote: »
    Mod edit: post deleted.

Curtis replaced Martin King and doubled his Saturday listenership in one year, her appeal is with young parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

heybaby wrote: »
    Curtis replaced Martin King and doubled his Saturday listenership in one year, her appeal is with young parents.

She does my head in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Synode wrote: »
    She does my head in
    Yeah, she appeals to a fairly small segment of the possible audience, imo. Currently, she is the only one on Today FM I change the channel from. That probably reflects more on me than her, tbh, but as heybaby says, the target audience seems to have moved below my age profile.

She does my head in

She seems genuine enough but she has text number tourettes and gives her twitter handle out literally dozens of times per show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

She seems genuine enough but she has text number tourettes and gives her twitter handle out literally dozens of times per show.
    Fergal announced the text competition twice in two minutes today without giving the actual text number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Fergal announced the text competition twice in two minutes today without giving the actual text number!

Awful, sack him, lock him up !!!!

Dempsey forgot to do a comp this morning and had to interrupt a song to do it, no presenter is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think I fall into that bracket (well maybe not "young") and hashtag AlisonEJCurtis absolutely does my head in. Instant channel changer. The accent and the constant twittering babble talk is like nails on a chalkboard. Can't understand the appeal :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Elianna Gray Undergarment

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I think I fall into that bracket (well maybe not "young") and hashtag AlisonEJCurtis absolutely does my head in. Instant channel changer. The accent and the constant twittering babble talk is like nails on a chalkboard. Can't understand the appeal :confused:

Would it kill her to go 5 seconds without saying AlisonEjCurtis at twitter and 53102

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Elianna Gray Undergarment

When she subbed in at the 7pm show she had decent playlist ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Our dial has been stuck at today FM again recently, mostly as we have an old radio and its the only station we can get without static.

Fergal has defo calmed down a bit, but he is still very difficult to listen to. The way he says his name is enough to annoy me "Fergal Daaaaaaaarcey".

The playlist is appalling too. No imagination to it whatsoever.

But all of this fades into obscurity compared to the self indulgent and utterly shíte intro to the show.

The only feature I like is the 3 theme of the 3 songs and how they are linked. But overall that will only help give the show 1/10. Terrible terrible stuff.

Sorry Fergal.

The start of the show is always the worst part. Especially on Mondays. Some inane shíte about what he done at the weekend. It would be alright if they were funny but they're not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

The start of the show is always the worst part. Especially on Mondays. Some inane shíte about what he done at the weekend. It would be alright if they were funny but they're not

I always get to the dial just about the time of the guy shouting 'D'ARCY' - still annoys the sh1te of me though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

why is this show called off the charts? that would signify playing music not in the current charts, this certainly doesn't happen its all charty crap

Self indulgent awful intro was abandoned today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gimmick wrote: »

Noticed that instantly... Hopefully means his boss's are reigning him in a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Spotify for the afternoon, I didnt mind when he was on the evenings slot

But all of this fades into obscurity compared to the self indulgent and utterly shíte intro to the show.
    The start of the show is always the worst part. Especially on Mondays..
    UsedToWait wrote: »
    I always get to the dial just about the time of the guy shouting 'D'ARCY' - still annoys the sh1te of me though...

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Noticed that instantly... Hopefully means his boss's are reigning him in a bit

I'd be inclined to believe he's reading this thread tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

He is insufferable to listen to, everything is "do ya remember when you were young and yer mam would bla bla bla" "do ya rememeber being a at the disco as a young lad and hearing this song and going absolutely mental". Feargal "do ya remember when" D'arcy. Pretty sure there is a mental illness associated with repeated referral to a certain point in your life that you can't move on from. He is abhorrently irritating and talks so much sh1t that he's constantly losing his voice.

anna080 wrote: »
    He is insufferable to listen to, everything is "do ya remember when you were young and yer mam would bla bla bla" "do ya rememeber being a at the disco as a young lad and hearing this song and going absolutely mental". Feargal "do ya remember when" D'arcy. Pretty sure there is a mental illness associated with repeated referral to a certain point in your life that you can't move on from. He is abhorrently irritating and talks so much sh1t that he's constantly losing his voice.

Spot on.. my post from when he was announced as taking over from Louise..
    UsedToWait wrote: »
    You reckon?

That eejit who's replacing her is even more irritating in my book..

His entire schtick, any time I've heard him is a litany of crap anecdotes like:

'Remember when you were growing up there was always a lad that used to wear red socks?'

or text-ins like:

'What were your favourite games when you were a kid?'

or some such sh1te..

Louise wasn't great, but I'll be switching the dial when Fergal D'Arcy starts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Did Foley's "self indulgent" jingles bother ye back in his day? I like the jingles... I think he used that very same shouty "D'ARCY" one on iRadio.

I don't get the dislike for this chap. He seems more than fine and capable to me. There's far far worse on the radio than Fergal. Alison Curtis springs to mind instantly!

Curtis is on a different level of annoying. But Darcy is closing in fast. I don't like wishing bad for people but please god the show doesn't last long as it's very poor. I hate having to flick around between stations because of 1 show but I'm going to start soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

patrickc wrote: »
    why is this show called off the charts? that would signify playing music not in the current charts, this certainly doesn't happen its all charty crap

Or it could imply he is getting his music "off the charts"? It's a stupid name for a show anyway, sounds like something from the 90s.

siblers wrote: »
    Or it could imply he is getting his music "off the charts"? It's a stupid name for a show anyway, sounds like something from the 90s.

Hes "Off The Air" today so I'll be tuning in to Muirean O Connoll :D

Intro is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

threein99 wrote: »
    Hes "Off The Air" today so I'll be tuning in to Muirean O Connoll :D

Having heard Muireann filling in for nearly everyone over the summer, she is very good. Hopefully a regular spot for her soon.

Having heard Muireann filling in for nearly everyone over the summer, she is very good. Hopefully a regular spot for her soon.

Yeahs shes very good, sounds really down to earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

siblers wrote: »

In his context anyway...nothing to do with the music charts I dont think:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=off%20the%20charts

another ego stroking for him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

D'Arcy off again? Did he not just start this slot a few weeks ago? And Paula standing in.. why oh why... Great laugh but Her voice just goes through me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

reg114 wrote: »
    D'Arcy off again? Did he not just start this slot a few weeks ago? And Paula standing in.. why oh why... Great laugh but Her voice just goes through me.
    Paula was filling in for Dermot and Dave not Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Paula was filling in for Dermot and Dave not Darcy.

Ah OK thanks. Still don't like her voice though :(

reg114 wrote: »
    Ah OK thanks. Still don't like her voice though :(
    Find her more annoying than Louise Duffy now

I used to like Louise Duffy, but her voice grates on me now. It's like someone once told her she had a lovely speaking voice and now she tries all the more to sound seductive and it's just irritating

anna080 wrote: »
    I used to like Louise Duffy, but her voice grates on me now. It's like someone once told her she had a lovely speaking voice and now she tries all the more to sound seductive and it's just irritating

She's starting to go down the Rick O Shea route of speaking in a very low quiet voice thinking it sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

She's starting to go down the Rick O Shea route of speaking in a very low quiet voice thinking it sounds great

Rick's voice is the same on and off air. I've met him a few times through work and there's no difference at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Rick's voice is the same on and off air. I've met him a few times through work and there's no difference at all.
    Eh no it's absolutely not, and he gets completely found out when he does an outside broadcast as he obviously doesn't have the giggery pokery reverb and an insulated studio to bounce his Faux accent around.
    And he also Rang Cormac Battle from the Euros this year and he was unrecognisable on the phone.
    It's quite embarrassing.

His sidekick, whoever he is, obviously finds him thoroughly irritating as well

• Advertisement

Scraping the bottom of the barrel today by trodding the oft trodden path of old radio/tv ads.

He is getting worse as the weeks pass.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel today by trodding the oft trodden path of old radio/tv ads.

Why are you torturing yourself?
    I was gone from week 1..

Must say I'm enjoying Moncrieff, but need to get a bluetooth speaker ordered for my workplace so I can switch to tunes / podcasts as the mood takes me..

That over the top Darcy intro is woeful. Also he needs to take EVERYTHING down a gear he's not Foley or Dermot and Dave. Just try to be himself and lose the stupid voices! That story about not having the national anthem at a Dj gig then pulling it from YouTube was cringe worthy. He thought it 'twas great Craic when in reality he just sounded like an amateur! Even his Grand national promos they run during other shows are ****e. His accent changes around three or four times as he's talking

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As an aside does anyone know why D'Arcy says he's from Roscommon? Isn't he from Ballinasloe?

Why does he have to talk over the intro of every song? We want to hear the song not his annoying voice. Some songs have great intros and he just ruins them, like with Stevie Wonder's Superstition the other day, amazing intro but he kept talking over it thinking it's him we want to be listening to. Before people ask why I'm listening if I don't like him, I work in an office where Today fm is on all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Accidently left the radio on and on comes the most annoying voice on Irish radio waffling away. Couldn't change the channel quick enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As an aside does anyone know why D'Arcy says he's from Roscommon? Isn't he from Ballinasloe?
    Ballinasloe is right on the Galway Roscommon border, so some of the surrounding townlands of Ballinasloe (Taughmaconnell for example) would count themselves as part of Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smallorfaraway

Hurdley gurdley, I'm a potaaayto, hang sangwidges, back in the day, hurdley gurdley durdley.

Nope.

He irritates the life outta me at this stage!! Everything bugs me. I've started to flick around but haven't found any decent alternative and I listen to Today fm religiously all day for years... even the forced banter with Ed Smith isn't any where near funny and comes across very rehearsed. Think he was promoted to fast. It's just not clicking for him and he's at it now 3 months. Does anyone here like him? I'm not asking do you prefer him to Duffy or KC or Fenton etc I'm asking, Do you listen from start to finish and enjoy the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smallorfaraway

He irritates the life outta me at this stage!! Everything bugs me. I've started to flick around but haven't found any decent alternative and I listen to Today fm religiously all day for years... even the forced banter with Ed Smith isn't any where near funny and comes across very rehearsed. Think he was promoted to fast. It's just not clicking for him and he's at it now 3 months. Does anyone here like him? I'm not asking do you prefer him to Duffy or KC or Fenton etc I'm asking, Do you listen from start to finish and enjoy the show?

I generally just leave the radio on Today FM all day in the office. There's the odd moment of the show that is okay, and he seems nice and like he's trying, but jeez, sometimes I get an uncontrollable urge to feck my coffee over the radio. Today went a step too far down fake culchie road and I just flipped.

I generally just leave the radio on Today FM all day in the office. There's the odd moment of the show that is okay, and he seems nice and like he's trying, but jeez, sometimes I get an uncontrollable urge to feck my coffee over the radio. Today went a step too far down fake culchie road and I just flipped.

I despise the Cultchie gimmick by anyone, ....Im now changing today fm like when Duffy was on that slot too. its now the podcast of the Paul McCloone show the night before or my ipod that's coming on at work.....The dare to care for everyone it seems to be is to listen to his show uninterrupted :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement