Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seized land stopping development

Options
  • 06-07-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, so the terrace of houses that my family home is on, has lots of land to the rear. It is accessed by a laneway. the last house on the terrace, god knows how many years ago, simply took the laneway to the rear of their garden and it appears claimed it for themselves. this is well before my time. Is there anything that can be done to check the legality of who owns that bit of land etc, whether it is legally still the councils or indeed, the end of terrace now owns it through vacant possession etc?

sorry I have tried to attach a google image, but the size is over what boards permits. Will sort it soon...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Copy the link to the location in google maps.
    I think it's a civil matter and may have to be resolved through talking to the offender and if that doesn't work, then the legal route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

With reference to the thread title, what development is this stopping and who stopped it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

As I understand it, the occupier has to make a claim to the land in question. If the land was/ is owned by a Co.Council, they have to prove sole and exclusive use of the land for more than 30 years. 12 years if its in private ownership.

I was also told once by a solicitor during conveyance, that it was almost impossible to claim adverse possession on land owned by a state body. I don't know why but it was a similar situation to this, and I walked from the purchase because of this, ie no clear title.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

State agencies can reset the clock much easier than private owners - very hard to prove they haven't also

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Beaumont+Ave,+Churchtown+Upper,+Churchtown,+Co.+Dublin/@53.2940287,-6.2569111,147m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670bdfe1d3c8e9:0x3de552f50c4dda82!8m2!3d53.2915128!4d-6.257487

there is the link, sorry for the delay in getting it up.
    With reference to the thread title, what development is this stopping and who stopped it?
    to clarify, if the lane wasnt blocked at one end, a lot of owners on the street, would build to the rear of the properties, the other end terrace has already applied for PP and received it (the beaumont drive side one).

Effectively if the lane exit to weston road hadnt been blocked, the plan would be simply knock a section on lane wall on beaumont drive and probably have a one way system...

• Advertisement
Advertisement