Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Hacked But How

Options
  • 06-07-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I got 3 emails from someone I don't know.
    They contained about 50 attachments. All from my PC. All from when I was looking for a job. Luckily it was a VM. I did not have a lot on it. They were mainly PDF's, word and excel files.

I mainly use it to go online with. I think they deleted them off it. But can't full remember.
    But It **** me up big time. As I am very careful online. I know all the usual precautions etc. If this had of been my full machine I would have been up **** creek.
    I have took it off the Network and trying to figure it out.

I don't know how they got in. The only thing I can think of is TeamViewer.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I did read something about team viewer being hacked a few weeks back. They denied it but there were a lot of reports from end users about it. Might be worth looking that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I did read something about team viewer being hacked a few weeks back. They denied it but there were a lot of reports from end users about it. Might be worth looking that up.

Yeh this is what I read last night. Hence my conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't know how they got in. The only thing I can think of is TeamViewer.
    Is it set as auto-connect, or needs to be allowed to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Teamviewer would appear to be just a result of a password database being sold. If the OP reuses passwords that'd do it.

I assume it leaves an audit log of some sort, may not have been purged.

the_syco wrote: »
    Is it set as auto-connect, or needs to be allowed to connect?

See I cant really remember. I had set it, not to start at start up. But It still runs in the Process's upon start up.

With regards to my password. I thought about that as well and Putting my emails into "Have I been pwned"

Shows up Myspace :) and adobe. I do have a generic password I use for certain sites. I have changed it over the years. But really can't remember what I used for Myspace and adobe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Linkedin hack perhaps? If all the attachments were job hunting related perhaps you had uploaded them there? I think I read the main source of the Team Viewer hack was password resuse and the credentials stolen during the LinkedIn hack

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

I got hacked yesterday too, facebook and email. I'm pretty sure it's from the LinkedIn hack a few weeks back cos I said I'd change the passwords then completely forgot. Get a technician to run a full diagnostics on your PC, or just sell it and buy a new one, cos I wouldn't take the chance of logging into, say, internet banking or something now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya good auld Joe Duffy was on about teamviewer hacking on Tuesday, although I think people were duped into downloading team viewer or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

amos13 wrote: »
    I got hacked yesterday too, facebook and email. I'm pretty sure it's from the LinkedIn hack a few weeks back cos I said I'd change the passwords then completely forgot. Get a technician to run a full diagnostics on your PC, or just sell it and buy a new one, cos I wouldn't take the chance of logging into, say, internet banking or something now.

Are you re-using passwords across sites?

When you say hacked what do you mean...

yoyo wrote: »
    Linkedin hack perhaps? If all the attachments were job hunting related perhaps you had uploaded them there? I think I read the main source of the Team Viewer hack was password resuse and the credentials stolen during the LinkedIn hack

Nick
    I use a different email and password than my team viewer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Well as my granddad used to say - clone your machine when all is well and then after that rebuild it first thing every morning (or more often)

You're not paranoid if they're really out to get you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would consider resetting other passwords just in case.

Its a bit scary if you are going to need disposable VM to browse.

beauf wrote: »
    I would consider resetting other passwords just in case.

Its a bit scary if you are going to need disposable VM to browse.

Yeh changed passwords. But yes very scary. But so glad I had disposable VM. Lucky it was not my host machine.

I now have even more VMS set up for various things and will rarely use my host machine for going online.

I just don't know how they got in. And I Know how to be careful online. That's the scary thing.

I have downloaded my files to the VM in question. Sandboxed it. Will open them all and scan them.

Advertisement