Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MKVII GTI

• 06-07-2016 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭

I was in a VW dealer this morning asking about the GTI and I have come away a little more confused than I was walking in the door as to what I want!

The main problem was that the dealer couldn't actually price me a car. The VW dealer portal does not have the GTI listed at all today apparently. The dealer reckons that is due to the new Clubsport edition coming out and that the price lists will all change.

From what I can tell there are three options:

GTI
    GTI Performance
    GTI Clubsport

The VW Ireland site quotes €162 for the innovation pack, while the UK quotes over a grand for the 'technology' pack which look the same to me.

Also, VW ireland seem to list the GTI Performance as a separate model while the UK quote it as a £995 extra.

While I can get my head around these options .. I am confused as to pricing on the models ... by my reckoning the Clubsport will come in at almost the price of the R .. begging the question as to why anyone would choose it over the R?

I have my head melted thinking about it at the moment.

What I am thinking of is:

5 Door GTI Performance with DSG, Carbon Steel Metallic Grey, Innovation Pack, Park Assist, Winterpack, Leather seats.

The VW site is coming in at €44k while for a similar spec R the price is €49k .. so 5k extra gives you 4wd and 300ps. What price is the Clubsport coming in at .. my guess it would need to split the difference for the 265ps and 2wd.

the 1.9% apr on the Golf range is also quite appealing.

The more difficult task is to persuade the missus that she wants the damn thing now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a lengthy discussion on the Mk7 GTi in this thread over in the buying subforum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057328552

The last 10 pages or so discuss the recent revisions to the model line up. The entire Golf line up has been revised pending the arrival of the Mk8 in October though the GTi and R will continue for a while yet in Mk7 form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

There's a huge thread on the golf 7 gti/d/r over in buying sub section and the latest price list is attached in one of the last posts I think. From memory the gti performance is gone now and the clubs port is 500 euro cheaper than equivalent R.
    Loads of info on that thread.

Bazz you beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

cheers .. don't know how I missed that thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

As the lads have said, check out that thread in the buying forum, it has all the info you need!

Suffice to say, there is no PP model available now. You've discovered like most of us that the dealers aren't a great source of reliable information and that's putting it mildly.

So right now it's:
    GTI 220
    Clubsport
    R

And there is just €500 between the Clubsport and the R.

@Bazz, I've yet to see any real confirmation that the MK8 is imminent. Nothing from VW. No real spyshots or test mule cars have been seen. All we have is idle speculation from the likes of Auto Express. I think October will bring a mild facelift, if even that. With Mk8 to follow late next year / early 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JoeA3 wrote: »
    As the lads have said, check out that thread in the buying forum, it has all the info you need!

Suffice to say, there is no PP model available now. You've discovered like most of us that the dealers aren't a great source of reliable information and that's putting it mildly.

So right now it's:
    GTI 220
    Clubsport
    R

And there is just €500 between the Clubsport and the R.

@Bazz, I've yet to see any real confirmation that the MK8 is imminent. Nothing from VW. No real spyshots or test mule cars have been seen. All we have is idle speculation from the likes of Auto Express. I think October will bring a mild facelift, if even that. With Mk8 to follow late next year / early 2018.

I meant the facelifted Mk7, was under the assumption that the VW marketing people were christening the facelift as the Mk8 similar as the Mk5 > Mk6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

bazz26 wrote: »
    I meant the facelifted Mk7, was under the assumption that the VW marketing people were christening the facelift as the Mk8 similar as the Mk5 > Mk6.

Tbh, even the "facelift" is rumour and speculation. There's been nothing concrete, no official spyshots. All I've seen is bad photoshops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Tbh, even the "facelift" is rumour and speculation. There's been nothing concrete, no official spyshots. All I've seen is bad photoshops.

When the mk8 comes I wonder will it just be a rehashed mk7 MQB chassis, similar to the mk5 to Mk6?

I'd like to see the next golf R use hybrid technology in a way porsche and mclaren do. Audi are already using motor driven turbos to eliminate lag.
    Could be an interesting car if they went that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

All the recent talk of cost cutting at VW in response to Dieselgate may slow down model refreshes.

Advertisement