Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metropolis Festival 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Purple_Delish

good to see them get Floating Points back after having to cancel last year.

Is it? It really annoyed me. He was a big reason why I bought a ticket and the cancellation with little explanation and no replacement came across as so cynical to me. Not to mention how they deleted my comments from social media when I pointed this out.

The whole festival and the festival/music scene at large just stinks to me atm. Selling expensive tickets (compared to international counterparts) and then getting every music magazine in Dublin to say how great the lineup is by chucking them a few free passes... Mostly the same old acts who have played here recently.

I had a great time at metropolis last year but I'll definitely be giving it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Is it? It really annoyed me. He was a big reason why I bought a ticket and the cancellation with little explanation and no replacement came across as so cynical to me. Not to mention how they deleted my comments from social media when I pointed this out.
    well it's either that or him not playing, so yes, to me it is good to see him booked again, as I would like to see him.
    the explanation last year was that he couldn't make it in time because of flights from wherever he was playing the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 busterp

It's yet another DJ set so I wouldn't get my hopes up over Floating Points

I find his DJ sets far more enjoyable than his recent performances with a band, so I'm quite happy with that.
    see also: Todd Terje and his inferior live band performances with "The Olsens".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That is another poor announcement from Metropolis. Groove Armada play in Ireland about twice a year (their DJs aren't great either), Klangkarussel are another who play here regularly, Floating Points a good addition in fairness but not enough for me so far. Might yet end up going for a day but they have really dropped the ball compared to last year, was expecting big things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I find his DJ sets far more enjoyable than his recent performances with a band, so I'm quite happy with that.

I've listened much more to his band stuff than his DJ stuff, and only seen him do his band gig (at body and soul this year).

I'd be a big fan of the band stuff he does but from the little I know of his DJ side of things, I'd say it's two very different acts you're going to see - both of which will be excellent.

Being sniffy about it being a DJ set rather than the live act wouldn't make much sense with this guy, imo. (to be clear I know the poster I'm quoting is not doing that :))

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Didn't make it last year , going this year though , how many stages are there ?

6 last year, although 1 was the Arcadia thing outdoors, and the other was mostly discussion panels:
    https://thelastmixedtape.com/2015/11/04/metropolis-festival-2015-stage-times-announced/

6 last year, although 1 was the Arcadia thing outdoors, and the other was mostly discussion panels:
    https://thelastmixedtape.com/2015/11/04/metropolis-festival-2015-stage-times-announced/

Cheers . Wow 6 , thought there be only 2 or 3 . Do they just have all the best acts on at the end of the night on each stage ?
    Do u think there's much more to be added ?

Cheers . Wow 6 , thought there be only 2 or 3 . Do they just have all the best acts on at the end of the night on each stage ?
    Do u think there's much more to be added ?

Last year there were about 3 stages for mainly international acts, 1 stage completely for Irish DJs, 1 stage was arcadia and 1 for talks and discussions. I'd say on the Saturday this year you could have the likes of Grace Jones, Crystal Castles & Sugarhill Gang on the main stage, Booka Shade, Klangkarussel & Floating Points in the Shelbourne Hall (2nd biggest), Fatima Yamiha & Fakear in the Serpentine Hall. Or something to that effect anyway. If I was to compare it to last year I wouldn't say there are too many international acts to come but hopefully a few more, the line up is unquestionably weaker than last year so far though.

P.S - they have posted a picture of the Red Bull Music Academy on their FB page saying there is plenty more to come over the coming weeks. Won't hold my breathe but they could have a stage to themselves and get some good bookings in if they're involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 busterp

Ah that's fair enough, good to hear it wouldn't put you off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

For those that went last year... I assume seeing as its all confined in the RDS, and their bar sponsor knows this, that the only liquor available is RDS liquor?? Any hope of schnakey naggins/ gallons of jagerfast?

Did it sell out last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Weekend tickets did. Not so sure about day tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Not too bad, not too bad

14358826_1768506146739102_3799113596708681588_n.jpg?oh=4e1fcdafabd77ef86f486ef5d644a2ad&oe=5839B676&__gda__=1480433737_546c5ed5499b7d52afcdb6a751930eab

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was at this last year and really enjoyed. Definitely will be grabbing a ticket this year again.

Ideally I'd like to wait till the end of the month to pick one up though, as that's when I get paid. Anyone think there'd be any issue waiting till then?

Knex. wrote: »
    Was at this last year and really enjoyed. Definitely will be grabbing a ticket this year again.

Ideally I'd like to wait till the end of the month to pick one up though, as that's when I get paid. Anyone think there'd be any issue waiting till then?

Doubt it, I don't think it even sold out last year or if it did it wasn't until very close to the event! And personally I think the line up is a lot weaker this year, others seem to be in agreement with me. I'd be extremely surprised if you couldn't get a ticket at the end of the month.

Still don't think the line up is anything special but it has been getting slightly better with each announcement, I will possibly go on the Saturday as there is a good few acts playing that I would go and see but €80 for a day ticket is extremely steep.

Do ye think there'll be more announcements to come or is the lineup looking full ?

quite surprised Jack Garratt seems to be billed as a headliner, didn't think he was that big.

Last year there were 17 acts on the friday and 16 on the saturday. This year there are only 13 announced for each day and tickets are more expensive. I reckon we'll see another 3 or 4 acts added to each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jack Garratt is a great addition

Justice be in with a shout ? Announced today new album out in November

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

quite surprised Jack Garratt seems to be billed as a headliner, didn't think he was that big.
    Sold out Olympia earlier in the year

Justice be in with a shout ? Announced today new album out in November

Could be in with a shout but their new album isn't out until November so maybe they will hold off touring until 2017. Definitely can see them playing at some Irish festival within the next year anyway.

Hopefully BOHtox is right and there is still a few more acts to come, still think it's considerably weaker than last year but maybe that is down to personal taste.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Raging , caught the end or start of Mount Kimbie at EP and really enjoyed it but the fact he is only doing the opening night ill skip.

Delighted with Jack but surprised he is headliner but he will steal the show imo:) . Would prefer if Sugarhill Gang were on his day too . Def going the friday but will decide closer to it if i grab a weekend or day ticket

https://www.facebook.com/metropolisfest/posts/1778737615715955
    We are delighted to announce that this year we will be collaborating with Red Bull Music Academy for a series of talks, lectures & panels at this year's Metropolis festival. We will be joined by:

Karl Hyde of Underworld, Wolfgang Flür (ex-Kraftwerk), Saul Williams, Alexis Taylor (Hot Chip) & Matt Horne (Prince biographer) discussing the life and influence of Prince, a drum workshop with Ralph Rolle (Chic), Wonder Mike & Master Gee (The Sugarhill Gang), Krystal Klear, Jessy Lanza, New Jackson and Fantasy 12's Sleeve Notes.

So is there anymore acts to be announced or is that it ?

After a good start it's been fairly underwhelming since. Not a patch on last year or even similar type festivals like Boxed Off or Barndance. Hopefully they have a few more acts, and a few pretty big ones too, to fill the gaps in the lineup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I was considering going but the price has put me off. €80 for a day ticket is overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah I noticed on their website it doesn't have the usual 'Plus more to be announced' on it, that line up is pretty skant compared to last year. Was interested in coming up for the Friday to see Moderat but 80 Euro is a hefty number and I hardly know some of the other acts on Friday.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement