Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metropolis Festival 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

I'm raging i bought 4 tickets for the Friday and Saturday when they went on sale first , I jumped the gun there , none of the crew want to go now so I'm going to have to sell them for less than face value .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Line up is a lot poorer than last year alright, it's disappointing, I thought that we had a new major festival on the scene in Ireland but it seems to be another similar to Boxed Off & BD (except considerably more expensive). Having said that, I did buy a ticket for the Saturday, it isn't value for money but enough to see for it to be a good day out and won't need to take any time off work. How on earth is Jack Garrett headlining the Friday? We had the likes of Chic, Giorgio Moroder, The Roots & Hot Chip playing the main stage last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

For 40-50e a day ticket this would be great. But for 87e or so including booking fee they're charging they'd need some much bigger acts. I'd be shocked if this comes anywhere close to selling out.

Its a bit unfortunate, as the RDS is a convenient venue and its a fairly empty time of the year festival wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Seems like the hefty ticket prices are to pay for gimmicky things like the world's biggest disco ball, over 3 storeys high.
    "Metropolis on the edge of control, they take our money but they won't take our soul." :pac:

Today's "announcement" is Alexis Taylor From Hot Chip performing a prince tribute set on the Friday and the trinity orchestra performing David Bowie on the Saturday. I can only presume they still have all of the Irish djs left to announce? Otherwise the line up is looking very bare.

• Advertisement

Seems like the hefty ticket prices are to pay for gimmicky things like the world's biggest disco ball, over 3 storeys high.
    "Metropolis on the edge of control, they take our money but they won't take our soul." :pac:

Stuff like that. And I'd wonder about some of the act choices. I doubt if Grace Jones for example will bring in enough festival goers to justify the headliner tag, and price.

Longitude and Forbidden fruit would be the most similar festivals, and both are significantly cheaper at around the 60e price point. But both pull in much bigger headliners: Kendrick Lamar, The Chemical Brothers, Hozier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Blut2 wrote: »
    Stuff like that. And I'd wonder about some of the act choices. I doubt if Grace Jones for example will bring in enough festival goers to justify the headliner tag, and price.

Longitude and Forbidden fruit would be the most similar festivals, and both are significantly cheaper at around the 60e price point. But both pull in much bigger headliners: Kendrick Lamar, The Chemical Brothers, Hozier etc.
    True yeah, Longitude was €70 inc. fees for a day ticket. Metropolis is €85

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Would Grace Jones not be wasted on the crowd

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

sasta le wrote: »
    Would Grace Jones not be wasted on the crowd

Dont think so but the fact she only played 2 headline shows here last month will seriously slow down tickets imo

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

You couldn't pay me to go to metropolis this year. The lineup is nowhere near as good as last year and yet they increase the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

True yeah, Longitude was €70 inc. fees for a day ticket. Metropolis is €85

Ridiculous when you consider the lineups, really.

Loved Metropolis last year, but quite disappointed with the price/line up this year. I thought more would have been added over the past month or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I was interested in going on the Saturday just to see Crystal Castles with their new singer/songs as Im a huge fan of them but I can't justify spending that much for one act and it probably won't be be a very long set. I'm sure I'd enjoy the other acts but they're just taking the wee with it being nearly 100 euro for a day ticket, train to Dublin will cost me 50 return on top of that.

I'd say they're struggling to sell tix to the opening party, was bombarded with ads for it on Facebook so bad I had to block/hide them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Clampdown wrote: »
    I was interested in going on the Saturday just to see Crystal Castles with their new singer/songs as Im a huge fan of them but I can't justify spending that much for one act and it probably won't be be a very long set. I'm sure I'd enjoy the other acts but they're just taking the wee with it being nearly 100 euro for a day ticket, train to Dublin will cost me 50 return on top of that.

I'd say they're struggling to sell tix to the opening party, was bombarded with ads for it on Facebook so bad I had to block/hide them

Its almost the price of a day ticket to Oxegen, well at least 2010 anyway when it was 99 for a ticket.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

It's a joke what they're charging for a very limited lineup. Last year had some real big names and was pretty fairly priced I thought. They're pushing their luck this year. Suspect there'll be a lot of tickets given away in competitions over the next few weeks.

This price gouging seems to have become a thing at dance events over the past year or so. That Winter Party thing is another example, as is the Jenny Greene monstrosity.

Sandwell wrote: »
    It's a joke what they're charging for a very limited lineup. Last year had some real big names and was pretty fairly priced I thought. They're pushing their luck this year. Suspect there'll be a lot of tickets given away in competitions over the next few weeks.

This price gouging seems to have become a thing at dance events over the past year or so. That Winter Party thing is another example, as is the Jenny Greene monstrosity.

The organizers might feel they can get away with it given a large percentage of the attendees won't be spending too much money on alcohol I'd guess. Or for the same reason might be required to have a higher ticket price to offset the reduced bar takings compared to say a rock gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is there going to be more announcements for this at all.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Is there going to be more announcements for this at all.
    I can announce that I'm trying to sell my Friday ticket at a knockdown price as I feel let down by the organisers with regards the line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

A talk with Paul K or New Jackson there if you're looking
    14590396_1784573851798998_5713504468701508641_n.png?oh=79cecab6ceaf3be85317f95bdd3ad751&oe=5890C1E5&__gda__=1487460336_48ef8f1c37ba3cd2a28acbeeeba8bfc6

Some of the speakers appear to be coming over just for this talk as they are not playing. The lineup is pretty poor but it would be mad a lot better by the addition of any one of Hot Chip, Underworld, Kraftwerk or Chic

BOHtox wrote: »
    A talk with Paul K or New Jackson there if you're looking
    14590396_1784573851798998_5713504468701508641_n.png?oh=79cecab6ceaf3be85317f95bdd3ad751&oe=5890C1E5&__gda__=1487460336_48ef8f1c37ba3cd2a28acbeeeba8bfc6

Some of the speakers appear to be coming over just for this talk as they are not playing. The lineup is pretty poor but it would be mad a lot better by the addition of any one of Hot Chip, Underworld, Kraftwerk or Chic

Agreed. Maybe I'm alone in thinking this but I definitely didn't pay €80 to go and see a few talks, I paid it for the music. Anyone of those 4 acts you mentioned would add significantly to the line up. I would go as far as saying these talks are a waste of time but as I said maybe I am alone in thinking this..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I dont see the big deal about prices personally

I paid similar to see Solomun in Ibiza this year and he was worth every penny

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I can announce that I'm trying to sell my Friday ticket at a knockdown price as I feel let down by the organisers with regards the line-up.

Yeah, unless I find a deal on a Saturday ticket I'm not going to bother because I'm not paying 80 euro unless I find at least one other act besides CC that I'd be excited about.

Grace Jones as headliner is questionable enough and naff for me personally ad I hate funk. I know it's great for dancing but it's not my thing.

Paul Kalkbrenner also makes that generic EDM that just does nothing for me. Youtubed a few tracks and just lmao at some of the comments like 'I want this played at my funeral.' i don't get it at all. He's had a number 1 album in Germany but then again so has David Hasselhoff.

Booka Shade is OK but it's like background music in a video game, I like some of their tracks but wouldn't be excited to see them live.

I know I'm biased but CC at least has an album out in the last year. I can't pay 80 quid for one set which is likely to be short as their middle of the bill.

Still gonna work my way through the rest of the Saturday lineup to see if I like anything. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Who would you have play for that price Clampdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Last year's lineup was stronger but I'm pretty happy with going just for the day Friday for Jack Garrett, Solomun, Moderat, SBTRKT, BADBADNOTGOOD, Girl Band and Mall Grab.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Who would you have play for that price Clampdown?

Its been discussed already in the thread but pretty much any Forbidden Fruit or Longitude day of the last few years had higher caliber headliners, at a cheaper ticket price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Clampdown wrote: »
    Paul Kalkbrenner also makes that generic EDM that just does nothing for me. Youtubed a few tracks and just lmao at some of the comments like 'I want this played at my funeral.' i don't get it at all. He's had a number 1 album in Germany but then again so has David Hasselhoff.

:D brilliant.
    I see your point though about Kalkbrenner, and I love dance,techno...<whatever> and while I wouldn't put Kalkbrenner in the EDM cesspit genre I was bored at his performance in EP 2 years ago.

Some people, if your not going don t waste your time bitching about the price, use your energy more constructively and let the rest of us get on with enjoying ourselves.

I am going the Friday, any thoughts about after parties and who will be playing where??

Some people, if your not going don t waste your time bitching about the price, use your energy more constructively and let the rest of us get on with enjoying ourselves.

I am going the Friday, any thoughts about after parties and who will be playing where??

Good question, not sure what to expect in terms of after parties but last year there were a few good ones. I'm going on the Saturday but not sure if any of the acts playing could entice me to an after party, I have never enjoyed an after party in a nightclub after a festival, always too tired and it's always way too busy to enjoy it. Last year I went to District 8 for Flight Facilities and it was sickeningly packed.

I'd say District 8, Button Factory, Grand Social, Tengu and possibly somewhere like the Sugar Club or Soder & Ko could be the venues this year. I'm going to have a guess that DJ Deece will be hosting an after party with someone like Floating Points on the Saturday..

What would entice me is if some of the guests that are over for the talks with Red Bull stuck around for an after party, someone like Wolfgang Flur or Karl Hyde could make for a good after party but I'm not sure if they ever play on their own. Krystal Klear is another who is down for a talk and I would think will end up playing in some capacity at the festival, be it during the main festival or at an after party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

They bogied me in to going both days. There's some good acts on, and I'll enjoy myself. But for the price we're paying we should expect a bit more than hearing talks from people who aren't even playing at the festival

Last year's lineup was stronger but I'm pretty happy with going just for the day Friday for Jack Garrett, Solomun, Moderat, SBTRKT, BADBADNOTGOOD, Girl Band and Mall Grab.

Yeah I like the Friday acts and headliners better, but wanted to see CC most of all and they're on Satuday.

I'm sure I'll still have plenty of fun, even if I have to take an extra yoke to enjoy Kalkbbrenner.

• Advertisement

Stage times are out, pretty disappointed that Grace Jones, Floating Points and Booka Shade all clash.

Advertisement