Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metropolis Festival 2016

Options

Comments

Posting from Girl Band. I'm not a fan of mosh pits but Jesus, I expected there to be more atmosphere than this? The set up is grand, it's just a shame the ticket price would have put so many people off (the main headliner playing two shows here a few weeks ago probably didn't help either!) The big disco ball is just......sitting there. Not particularly impressive and presumably not worth the cost and effort putting it there! It's a shame, this event has so much potential (I didn't go last year) but it seems like a few misfires have hindered it. :(

Still, it's only 18:20, still enough time for the weekend to pick up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Posting from Girl Band. I'm not a fan of mosh pits but Jesus, I expected there to be more atmosphere than this? The set up is grand, it's just a shame the ticket price would have put so many people off (the main headliner playing two shows here a few weeks ago probably didn't help either!) The big disco ball is just......sitting there. Not particularly impressive and presumably not worth the cost and effort putting it there! It's a shame, this event has so much potential (I didn't go last year) but it seems like a few misfires have hindered it. :(

Yeah its a bit early for people coming from work, give it an hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Anyone go to DJ Shadow last night, what was he like?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It's a pity they're on so early

Would love to be seeing Moderat later, let us know how they are!

It's a pity they're on so early

Would love to be seeing Moderat later, let us know how they are!

They were really good, I wasn't too familiar with them beforehand but was suitably impressed. The visuals were very cool throughout, particularly for "Bad Kingdom". Only negative were the people around me who were seemingly more interested in having full blown loud conversations than appreciating the music. >___<;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

How busy was it yesterday? Was there any issues with the toilets? I remember last year there were ridiculous queues for girls in particular. I'm heading up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dixon Bainbridge

Wasnt busy at all last night. Crowds were way down on last year

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

yeah, it's a shame they put Girl Band on so early, saw them at Vicar St earlier this year and the atmosphere was unreal. The security standing in the middle of it all didn't help either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Looking forward to Grace Jones tonight.

Her EP gigs 2008 and 2015 were the best but the Olympia gig in September was p*ss poor. Not her fault just an awful venue and really bad crowd management.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Heading in meself today , going to go in at 3.30 n see as much as I can , cracking first beer now . Raging fakear n CC clashing

• Advertisement

Ive two wristbands i wont be using today if anyone wants them,for free

I know it's early but I'm at dj deece and there is 12 of us here including me n the GF , saw a little bit of new Jackson , about 40 there , where r Ye all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I was aiming to be in for 5 to see Shura, but its looking more likely that it'll be 6.15 for The Sugar Hill Gang. I'd say that's when most of the crowd will be in by.

Ran back to new Jackson , crowd building , great beats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Ive two wristbands i wont be using today if anyone wants them,for free

Assume these are gone?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Assume these are gone?

Still have them. There yours if you to collect

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Assume these are gone?

Gone like donkey Kong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Got right up front for cc, they were great. Bit of a bummer when Klangkarussell cancelled unfortunately.

Where cc playing after party ?

having said that, you can buy tickets online for Floating Points/New Jackson:
    https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/rbma-floating-points-metropolis-by-night-district-8-tickets-29110155258

Where's the wah wah club ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Great evening really enjoyed it, Grace delivered as ever and good acoustics in Main Hall.

Really enjoyed Nialler 9 in the Industries Hall and whoever played before him (Lumo? ).

A tad cold outside though!!!

Edit: No taxis in the area at all. Poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Had a fantastic weekend at this! Great vibes all round - the stage setup really really impressed, and the two main headliners both nights really were incredible. Grace Jones in particular was a stunning performer, while Moderat somehow improved on their Vicar Street show earlier this year. Very very enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Yeah good weekend. Decent crowd and a good buzz about the place, didn't see any trouble.

Didn't have to queue for anything, and all the acts I saw were great (Solomun, Moderat, Kalkbrenner, Booka Shade), with Kalkbrenner being the highlight for me. First time seeing him, very uplifting stuff, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Good day out yesterday but it was a downgrade from last year for me, but I think it was just not as much my thing in terms of music. It definitely didn't feel as busy as it was last year, I'd say ticket sales were down a good bit, the industries hall was completely empty for most of the day which is a shame as I thought it was great craic in there last year. The crowd also seemed to arrive quite late, we arrive at around 4ish but it didn't fill up until 5.30. On the plus side there was no queues for anything really, toilets situation seemed better and it was easy to get a pint! I saw bits of New Jackson, Bodytonic DJs, Fatima Yamaha, Paul Kalkbrenner, Lumo DJs, Grace Jones & Booka Shade, nobody stand out good really, Grace Jones is a great performer but I wasn't too into her music. Somehow I missed Floating Points even though he was on for 3 hours and I also missed Sugarhill Gang which I was raging about, did they play at the time they were supposed to?

Good day but as I posted before the festival it was expensive for what was on offer, a good few of my friends were disappointed that Arcadia was replaced by a disco ball. There is a nice crowd at this festival, nobody seemed in too much of a bad way or causing any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Good little weekend. Fatima Yamaha and Paul Kalkbrenner stood out for me. Took years off me too.

Bit expensive truth be told for the lineup we were given. I'll be playing it by ear next year and see what the lineup is like. There was a lot of tickets going for less than face value coming up to the festival this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Had great fun on the Friday but I thought the place was pretty dead compared to last year. The Arcadia Tower was a great attraction last year and there was just a big disco ball sitting there this time which sucked. Didn't attend Saturday and wouldn't have been pushed to either. BadBadNotGood, Moderat and Solomun were all great.

Had a great time on Friday. Saw bits of Mall Grab, BadBadNotGood, Jessy Lanza, Solomon and Girlband and Moderat in their entirety.

Thought it was a nice crowd and no drama getting to the bar/bathrooms/queuing for the halls like last year.

My only gripes were getting told off for moshing during Girlband. The joyless bastards. One of the lads I was with in particular got singled out and given a lecture by the security for about 5 minutes.

Secondly, the after party tickets. I wanted to go to Wolfgang Fleur in the Sugar Club, they didn t seem to be available on the website, I emailed the Sugar Club who told me they would be available at the festival. I was in about 5.30 to see the start of Girlband so ran to the information point to get them sorted before the fun started. The girl at the booth was a bit clueless and said she didn t know and would have to ask her boss, she said to come back in about an hour and a half. Typically I ended up getting fairly Sky Boyed and totally forgetting until I was on the bus into town afterwards. Ended up in the Wigwam which was really quite and a bit of a disappointing end to the night.

Had a great time on Friday. Saw bits of Mall Grab, BadBadNotGood, Jessy Lanza, Solomon and Girlband and Moderat in their entirety.

Thought it was a nice crowd and no drama getting to the bar/bathrooms/queuing for the halls like last year.

My only gripes were getting told off for moshing during Girlband. The joyless bastards. One of the lads I was with in particular got singled out and given a lecture by the security for about 5 minutes.

Secondly, the after party tickets. I wanted to go to Wolfgang Fleur in the Sugar Club, they didn t seem to be available on the website, I emailed the Sugar Club who told me they would be available at the festival. I was in about 5.30 to see the start of Girlband so ran to the information point to get them sorted before the fun started. The girl at the booth was a bit clueless and said she didn t know and would have to ask her boss, she said to come back in about an hour and a half. Typically I ended up getting fairly Sky Boyed and totally forgetting until I was on the bus into town afterwards. Ended up in the Wigwam which was really quite and a bit of a disappointing end to the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

****e. I'm getting old! I don't know any of these bands, and none of them sound like I'd like to get to know them... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

seachto7 wrote: »
    ****e. I'm getting old! I don't know any of these bands, and none of them sound like I'd like to get to know them... :(

Are you sure now.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement