Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused over NCD with my car insurance.

Options
  • 06-07-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm with AXA and it's close to my renewal date so they've sent out my NCD Certificate.

I'm a first year driver with insurance in my own name and I'm still on my provisional.

I've had insurance with Axa for a year now and in that year I've made one claim. It was for a windshield and I was told that the windshield claim would NOT affect my NCD.

But when I look at my cert, it says that my "Actual number of years without a claim" is 0 years. and that I have one point on their NCD Scale.

So what I'm confused about is, if I were to go for a new insurer (Axa just renewed me at 3200, last year was 2500... :/), does ths mean I do, or do not have one year of No Claims Bonus?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Wing126 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm with AXA and it's close to my renewal date so they've sent out my NCD Certificate.

I'm a first year driver with insurance in my own name and I'm still on my provisional.

I've had insurance with Axa for a year now and in that year I've made one claim. It was for a windshield and I was told that the windshield claim would NOT affect my NCD.

But when I look at my cert, it says that my "Actual number of years without a claim" is 0 years. and that I have one point on their NCD Scale.

So what I'm confused about is, if I were to go for a new insurer (Axa just renewed me at 3200, last year was 2500... :/), does ths mean I do, or do not have one year of No Claims Bonus?

Thanks

You have one year bonus.

There should be a point on scale on the bonus eg

1 year : 20%
    2 years : 30%

And so forth.

So the bonus will read that you have nil years claims free (because you dont, even if a claim does not effect your bonus it still has to be noted) but the point on scale is equivalent to 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

You have one year bonus.

There should be a point on scale on the bonus eg

1 year : 20%
    2 years : 30%

And so forth.

So the bonus will read that you have nil years claims free (because you dont, even if a claim does not effect your bonus it still has to be noted) but the point on scale is equivalent to 1 year.

Okay thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

The 1 yr should process as 55% on ncd scale.

The glass claim doesn't reduce the %'age but it must be listed as it was paid by Axa on your behalf as a benefit.

Completing the Essential driving training (EDT) & Passing your driving test will help the premium. Rates are up 20% at least but the longer on learner permit the more your premium will climb.

All best with test in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

cplwhisper wrote: »
    The 1 yr should process as 55% on ncd scale.

The glass claim doesn't reduce the %'age but it must be listed as it was paid by Axa on your behalf as a benefit.

Completing the Essential driving training (EDT) & Passing your driving test will help the premium. Rates are up 20% at least but the longer on learner permit the more your premium will climb.

All best with test in the future

Cheers, it'll be my second test. Nerves got the better of me in the first one and I let the car roll down a hill. Should be much better doing it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If changing insurer and they ask have you ever made a claim in the past, and you dont tell them about a windscreen change, can they use this against you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If changing insurer and they ask have you ever made a claim in the past, and you dont tell them about a windscreen change, can they use this against you?

Yes they can. A claim is a claim and just because your existing company pays out and doesn't count claims for glass when it comes to calculating NCD doesn't mean that you can ignore it.

Your own insurance company will tell you (truthfully) that a glass claim won't affect your NCD with them but the problem is that it counts as a claim for other companies so it needs to be declared as a recent claim when seeking a quote from other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Cool, just wondering. Had a windscreen claim about 5-6 years ago, hardly matters at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes they can. A claim is a claim and just because your existing company pays out and doesn't count claims for glass when it comes to calculating NCD doesn't mean that you can ignore it.

Your own insurance company will tell you (truthfully) that a glass claim won't affect your NCD with them but the problem is that it counts as a claim for other companies so it needs to be declared as a recent claim when seeking a quote from other companies.

That's exactly why I've paid €60 for fixing the windshield rather than going through insurance...

Made my life much easier and I probably already saved that in the premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

grogi wrote: »
    That's exactly why I've paid €60 for fixing the windshield rather than going through insurance...

I recently had this issue. Have claimed for 2 windscreens in last 2 years. Was looking to switch as renewal was crazy( No other claims ever in 13 years on own policy). Only company that I got quote from that the windscreen claim affected the price was 123.ie. They were rip off anyway. So if you have the cover on your policy, use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

grogi wrote: »

€60 is a very cheap windscreen, the last one I got was €185 but windscreen cover was only €24 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement