Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th July - 25 years ago today...

Options
  • 06-07-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Not exactly a happy day if you are a Dub like me, but we were part of history. Today marks the 25th anniversary of the last of the 4 matches of the Dublin/Meath saga of 1991. The 2nd of June, the 9th of June, the 23rd of June and the 6th of July. Like the Munster win over the All-Blacks in 1978, many claim to have been there for all 4 matches, but I actually was.
    In 1990, for a month, all of Ireland was transfixed by the World Cup in Italy. How could the GAA top that? Well, in 1991 for a month, the whole country was transfixed by just one fixture. The last was on a very hot Saturday. My sister got married on the Friday. All week I was telling her that there was a very big event happening that weekend... and she was getting married. :)

It was only the start of a long summer for Meath. They drew against Wicklow in the next round and won the replay. Had Wicklow beaten them, they wouldn't have got the credit but would have been told that Meath were tired after the Dublin games. Wicklow had a great team at that time and would have deserved that victory. I was at the drawn match, so I know.

Meath went on to play 10 games that summer, finally losing to Down in the final. So us Dubs got something to smile about. :) I have the DVD of the 4 games that I got a few years ago, but I still haven't watched the last game. So, were you there, at all or any of the matches? What are your memories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Wasn't there but I do remember watching those games (possibly only highlights of the first couple, since there wasn't the same level of coverage in those days).

It was captivating stuff alright, and it's sad to compare it to the one-sided borefest that Meath-Dublin games have become in recent times. I was at a couple of Meath Dublin Leinster Finals in the 90s and there was always a cracking atmosphere, but that rivalry is in danger of dying away altogether unless Meath sort their act out.

My abiding memory is an obvious one but that goal by Kevin Foley for me ranks as one of the great goals in gaelic football. To engineer a score like that in those circumstances was incredible. And such an unlikely player to finish it off! I'd say it must be the only time in his whole career that Kevin Foley ventured into the opposition penalty area. It's no surprise that no-one picked him up or tracked his run because he wasn't exactly a goal scoring threat.

That Meath team weren't always the most likeable and could be accused of being dirty, but you had to admire their never-say-die attitude. They almost pulled off a great comeback in the final that year too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'm amazed a Dub started this :pac:
    Always wish I was born 10 years earlier so I could properly appreciate Meath being awesome.

My auld fella was at all four games in the canal end. He said he was actually worried the terrace was going to collapse when Foley buried the equaliser it shook so much. Before the goal went in he was standing directly behind the goal, when the celebrations stopped he was closer to the Cusack Stand.
    The collective "head in hands" from the Hill is a joy to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

There were two stunning Munster Hurling Finals as well that year, it really does make one wonder has the removal of knockout matched had a terrible adverse affect on the provincial championships.

Advertisement