Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scanner radio

• 06-07-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can anyone help me i am thinking of buying a pro 651 radio scanner can it work in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Can anyone help me i am thinking of buying a pro 651 radio scanner can it work in Ireland

It will work as a basic analog scanner, yes. But the digital trunk tracking features will be useless to you. Trunking systems here are very rare and the ones that exist are encrypted anyway. P25 which is everywhere in the US is nonexistent here.

These US models often have built in preprogrammed frequencies per state which will of course also be useless. As are the weather alerts which we don't have here (which is good in a way, we don't get the crazy kinds of weather, like tornadoes, that they need that for :) )

So yes you can use it but as it will only work as a basic scanner I'd personally go for a much cheaper model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jackthelad1172

Thank a million units just save money for me

If you're looking for an alternative, I recently bought a Uniden Bearcat UBC355CLT here. Mainly use it for monitoring the local ham repeater, I used a portable for this before but it could not charge and receive at the same time so a fixed one was handier. They're about 80€ shipped new if you look around and it performs well.

It doesn't have the fancier features of the more expensive models, like Alpha tags (you can only see the channel frequency, you can't give them a name tag or anything), and no spectrum scope etc but for a basic scanner it's nice and cheap and works well. It comes with cabling and mounting accessories for both desktop and car use.

So if you're looking for one I could recommend it. Though make sure you check if it supports the frequency bands you want to listen to.

One drawback though: it does not have a keypad for entering frequencies. What you do is search towards them and then use the up/down buttons with the squelch open to get to the exact freq. And then you can program it. If you want to enter a lot of frequencies then you'll probably want another model with a direct entry keypad (perhaps the UBC360XLT?). For me it was fine because i only have 10 or so in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

What's your 20 ?

Lol I had to look that one up, it's a trucker / police term is it? Us HAMs usually refer to it as QTH. You can tell how little I use the scanner :) I used CB a lot before I got my licence but that was in the Netherlands and I didn't hear the term there.

Anyway, I'm in Galway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement