Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Semi-Final Germany vs France, Thursday 7th July 20:00, RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

SlickRic wrote: »
    They've not been brilliant, but they've been better than the Germans in both boxes. Comfortably.
    Comfortably - you are kidding.
    The facts are that the first penalty should have gone to Germany.
    Lloris made the only save of note, Neuer got 2 free kicks put straight at him.
    France going in at 0-0 or 0-1 would not have won this game.
    The second goal, well, I still don't know what was going on there?

Hope France win the final though - think they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Boskowski wrote: »
    Oh, nooooooooo... Eamon swinging towards Germany :eek: We're f*****

Like I said...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Extremely difficult final for the neutral.
    How could you want to see either of these teams win? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Germany really needed a focal point up top, Gomez a huge loss in retrospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

For fellas talking about jumping Bastions feet were grounded! Idiotic to raise his hands!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

What's the craic with Germany and Spain not being able to produce strikers? Best youth systems but evidentially not perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Dunphy is just cringeworthy to watch when it comes to him deciding to show his "knowledge" about European players.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Extremely difficult final for the neutral.
    How could you want to see either of these teams win? :(

One has Pepe, that means I'm clearly going for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sevilla? :confused:

• Advertisement

• niallo27 wrote: »
    The better side doesn't always win. Football would be ****e if they did. It's too easy to saw they scored they must have been the better team.

France had the best chances
    France are better up front
    Germany lacking in the final third
    Germany were poor in defence
    Greizmann is class

The correct team won

Keep the ball all you like but if you do **** all with it you will be punished

Allez les blues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

It's an old saying " goals dictate the situation ".. John, take a cup of hot milk and fvck off to bed for yourself!

ERG89 wrote: »
    Sevilla? :confused:

Yeah, it was sociedad. The three of them are entertaining but quite limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Stupidity at the back, useless in front of goal.

Simple.

France were non-existent in front of goals. I thought Germany were just missing that bit of luck. France gave up loads of chances to them.

Its been said that Germanys lack of a proper CF killed them, i'm not a giroud fan but if he was on the German side he'd have brought those around him into the game much better than Muller on his own and lumping balls into him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    France had the best chances
    France are better up front
    Germany lacking in the final third
    Germany were poor in defence
    Greizmann is class

The correct team won

Keep the ball all you like but if you do **** all with it you will be punished

If anything it has shown that possession based football has been found out

Barca/Bayern/Spain and now Germany out in a knockout tournament

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Why is everyone doing the HU clap

I think The French teams watched a episode of Vikings and thought he we are eligible for it to

I guess I shouldnt judge

Ireland will be at it in the next match

Wasn't it Motherwell that started it?

Stupidity at the back, useless in front of goal.

Simple.

Denied a penalty and a blatant inability from Kimmich to put a huge spin on the ball at 2-0 down :)
    I think the ref was a homer - the only French bookings were for blatant hacks, and yet they committed 60% of the fouls. 2 bookings v 4 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The boys are spouting fair ring tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What's the craic with Germany and Spain not being able to produce strikers? Best youth systems but evidentially not perfect.

All their selected strikers were suddenly and startlingly out of form, rather than can't produce strikers. In Germanys case anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

France showed up the second half, and Germany got tired, physically and mentally.

jacool wrote: »
    Denied a penalty and a blatant inability from Kimmich to put a huge spin on the ball at 2-0 down :)
    I think the ref was a homer - the only French bookings were for blatant hacks, and yet they committed 60% of the fouls. 2 bookings v 4 !!!

2 of the German cards were a result of the penalty, the handball from Schweinsteiger and Ozil booting the ball away so theres that.

HD isn't kind to the lads

"Johns caveat". They are all carrying Giles, it's sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think France were all that great but they took advantage of two German mistakes. Sometimes that's all you need to do. Germans have done it to France in the past in tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yeah, it was sociedad. The three of them are entertaining but quite limited

Not to mention he only signed a contract extension last week and the boys are talking about a transfer :rolleyes:

50 in 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

greendom wrote: »
    France lost the midfield battle, but defended well and more clinical up front!
    Clinical? The first one was a dodgy peno (it wouldn't have been a peno if it was up the other end) and for the second one the Germans gave the ball away in the penalty area. When no 2 went in the first thing I thought was .... "that's like something we'd do!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Like all systems. They won enough between them though.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Not to mention he only signed a contract extension last week and the boys are talking about a transfer :rolleyes:

Hey if I was euro golden boot I'd be renegotiating

• Advertisement

All their selected strikers were suddenly and startlingly out of form, rather than can't produce strikers. In Germanys case anyway.

Who got left out? Well that should be that for Lowe, seems baffling how he didn't have a replacement for Gomez.

Clinical? The first one was a dodgy peno (it wouldn't have been a peno if it was up the other end)

Absolutely nothing in his distinguished career to suggest Rizzoli wouldn't have given that penalty to Germany (remember he gave Ireland a marginal one v France 11 days ago). Good fair referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Who got left out? Well that should be that for Lowe, seems baffling how he didn't have a replacement for Gomez.

Did he not patch it up with Kruse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

This was Germany's tournament, the best team by far. They must be sickened. Schwinsteiger - what a clown.

Two undeserving teams in the final. Have to hope for a France win - I think I'd puke if Ronaldo was on the winning side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Near-great player! Begrudger!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Absolutely nothing in his distinguished career to suggest Rizzoli wouldn't have given that penalty to Germany (remember he gave Ireland a marginal one v France 11 days ago). Good fair referee.
    WTF?

That was an obvious a penalty as you'll ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

niallo27 wrote: »
    France were non-existent in front of goals. I thought Germany were just missing that bit of luck. France gave up loads of chances to them.

Yup, and Germany were useless.

No luck involved. Germany were just shít up front and at the back.

OK then. Why didn't the distinguished referee give Germany a penalty when Pogba clipped Muller early in the first half?

People are giving France way too much credit. They were absolutely dominated in the first half. Looked like men vs boys for a lot of it. They scored their first goal from a stupid brainfart penalty. This isn't a team where if you give them a break they'll score (for example Giroud after be beat Boateng in the air on the halfway line.). They didn't score anything on the break. They didn't unlock this German defence to score. Germany should have won, they didn't that's football. But that doesn't mean France played well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Ireland knocked out by an eventual finalist again
    You mean Holland in '88?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

People are giving France way too much credit. They were absolutely dominated in the first half. Looked like men vs boys for a lot of it. They scored their first goal from a stupid brainfart penalty. This isn't a team where if you give them a break they'll score (for example Giroud after be beat Boateng in the air on the halfway line.). They didn't score anything on the break. They didn't unlock this German defence to score. Germany should have won, they didn't that's football. But that doesn't mean France played well.

Germany barely created any chances though.

You could feel like they deserved the win if they forced Lloris to have a great game but they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

That second goal was Absolutely fantastic..
    The whole action... Everything about it...

France scored both times on the bases of Germans mistakes... And went through 'deservedly'....

Germany had no shots to target at all, everything went up to the sky...
    France was better in this game, moved faster also etc, so good they went through to the final....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I must say I don't think I have ever seen a more athletic midfield than the one France finished the game with: not a hope of out-lasting Kante,Sissoko, Matuidi and Pogba in the stamina stakes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Yep, possession football has definitely been found out. Barcalona and Bayern both just won the domestic double. Bayern lost in the semi-final of the Champions League on away goals and Germany lose in the semi-final of the European Championships with their main striker injured, a centre back and a centre mid injured. Since the 2010 World Cup, which they got to the semi final of, Germany had lost three competitive games (one of which was the semi of Euro 2012). But yeah, possession based football has definitely been found out. After one game where they gave away two stupid goals.

Germany barely created any chances though.

You could feel like they deserved the win if they forced Lloris to have a great game but they didn't.

Absolutely, I don't think Germany deserve to go through as they were so poor going forward. However to say France were too clinical or even impressive going forward is pretty misleading considering both their goals are a result of stupid stupid mistakes.

• Advertisement

jacool wrote: »
    OK then. Why didn't the distinguished referee give Germany a penalty when Pogba clipped Muller early in the first half?

Because he genuinely didn't think it was a penalty in his opinion?
    If it was the terrible Turk or the fairly awful Serbian ref, then yeah I'd agree that it could be dodgy, but I don't think there was anything untoward tonight.

But hey, we are probably not going to convince each other different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Yup, and Germany were useless.

No luck involved. Germany were just shít up front and at the back.

I wouldn't say we were sh1t at the back, we made two mistakes and got punished. Well, maybe that's the definition of being sh1t.

But most importantly we never looked like scoring. And sometimes thats the way it goes. You make two mistakes and concede on each of them and on the other end for all your superiority in play you could whip it about for another hour and still wouldn't get the thing over the line.

Its a bit hard to take and there was some bad luck too, but it was just France's day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Barney92 wrote: »
    Yep, possession football has definitely been found out. Barcalona and Bayern both just won the domestic double. Bayern lost in the semi-final of the Champions League on away goals and Germany lose in the semi-final of the European Championships with their main striker injured, a centre back and a centre mid injured. Since the 2010 World Cup, which they got to the semi final of, Germany had lost three competitive games (one of which was the semi of Euro 2012). But yeah, possession based football has definitely been found out. After one game where they gave away two stupid goals.

I used more than one game as a example

Its easy for Munich to win the bundesliga its not relevant

Barca were very nearly caught in La Liga

Excuses are going to start being made

But its going to be phased out

Watch City next year

Pep will not try his brand of football there

A modern manager knows when to change

Lavinia wrote: »
    That second goal was Absolutely fantastic..
    The whole action... Everything about it...

France scored both times on the bases of Germans mistakes... And went through 'deservedly'....

Germany had no shots to target at all, everything went up to the sky...
    France was better in this game, moved faster also etc, so good they went through to the final....
    Watch the replay. Lloris made a super save, quality.

Because he genuinely didn't think it was a penalty in his opinion?
    If it was the terrible Turk or the fairly awful Serbian ref, then yeah I'd agree that it could be dodgy, but I don't think there was anything untoward tonight.

But hey, we are probably not going to convince each other different.
    Fair enough, but you do know the rule about kicking other players ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement