Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Semi-Final Germany vs France, Thursday 7th July 20:00, RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

jacool wrote: »
    Watch the replay. Lloris made a super save, quality.

Yes absolutely, he was spotless really
    Is this end of German long reign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

https://twitter.com/eifantasmita/status/751152380993998853

Imagine being outpaced by slow Giroud...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Kobe248 wrote: »
    I used more than one game as a example

Its easy for Munich to win the bundesliga its not relevant

Barca were very nearly caught in La Liga

Excuses are going to start being made

But its going to be phased out

Watch City next year

Pep will not try his brand of football there

A modern manager knows when to change

You quoted four teams as evidence that possession based football had been found out. Barca may very well nearly have been caught but they won the league and the cup playing the way they do. They also only lost one Champions League game. Bayern lost two Champions League games out of 12, and got knocked out on away goals. Germany lost one game in a major championship and their style has been found out? Pep may very well play a different style but I don't think from the teams you've provided evidence to show that possession football has been found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

mansize wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/eifantasmita/status/751152380993998853

Imagine being outpaced by slow Giroud...

So much so that he had to turn inside because he couldn't outpace him:rolleyes:

You mean Holland in '88?

Holland '88 - those were the days! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Lavinia wrote: »
    Yes absolutely, he was spotless really
    Is this end of German long reign?
    No idea.
    The 2009 U-21 team is all exposed now.
    Bayern seem to be bringing in more foreigners, squad now less than 50% German. The new process of having home grown players in the squads began in 2006. 10 years on I don't know if that's been torn up or not?
    I don't see France building a legacy though. I think the home tournament is a big plus - the fans played a huge part tonight.

I don't see France building a legacy though. I think the home tournament is a big plus - the fans played a huge part tonight.
    Agreed on both points - was cool to watch how the French team celebrated with the audience afterwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Lavinia wrote: »
    That second goal was Absolutely fantastic..
    The whole action... Everything about it...

France scored both times on the bases of Germans mistakes... And went through 'deservedly'....

Germany had no shots to target at all, everything went up to the sky...
    France was better in this game, moved faster also etc, so good they went through to the final....

Hang on here a second . Loris had two good saves and kimmich struck the bar......does not compute

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The lads on RTE absolutely love the way Germany play football but i have to say i'm dismayed watching them.

It seems the first instinct is always protect the ball and not (as it should be) work a goal scoring chance. They spend large parts of the game passing the ball for its own sake. France dropped very deep, gave space out wide and still Germany created very little when it was a contest in the first half. Thats not dominating the game Liam Brady. Actually they looked more effective when they started lumping it into the box.

An obviously very talented group is wasted playing football the way they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Griezmanns stupid celebration annoys me : o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No idea.
    Bayern seem to be bringing in more foreigners, squad now less than 50% German. The new process of having home grown players in the squads began in 2006. 10 years on I don't know if that's been torn up or not?
    Having the game in Marseille as opposed to Paris was a huge help. Under the cosh for long periods, the Parisiens wouldn't have liked that and may have started to turn on the team.

Hang on here a second . Loris had two good saves and kimmich struck the bar......does not compute
    Obviously computed overall..

I'm not saying I'm impressed with the French game just saying tonight in this particular game yes they outplayed Germany.
    And not so much cause they were brilliant but because German team was not as strong and made mistakes.
    Have no clue what Sch. was thinking when raised that hand. Perhaps he does not know himself. Low also looked drained, not there for the team in a good way.
    Was this just a bad day for them or start of going down don't know, may be the later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

No idea.

The ethos isnt being torn up

Bayern are generally the only team looking outside the Bundesliga for players

And that should kinda be faulted towards Pep

He didnt bring any players through

Which was a big part as to why he was signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

cjmc wrote: »

This one better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Barney92 wrote: »
    You quoted four teams as evidence that possession based football had been found out. Barca may very well nearly have been caught but they won the league and the cup playing the way they do. They also only lost one Champions League game. Bayern lost two Champions League games out of 12, and got knocked out on away goals. Germany lost one game in a major championship and their style has been found out? Pep may very well play a different style but I don't think from the teams you've provided evidence to show that possession football has been found out.

You do realise its cups where tactics come to the front

In each case possession football has lost this year

Bayern lost to a team who tactically out played them

France won as a team set up to sit back and hit on the counter

Barca lost to team set out to counter

Sit back let them pass it around the center isnt working anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Germany lacked cutting edge. Dominating possession means nothing unless you can open up teams and score goals. They did miss Gomez, he gave the team a better balance than when he wasnt the team during the entire tournament.

Germany got their chances but the game was beyond them at that point and they were throwing the kitchen sink at it

France showed real character by staying in the game when Germany were dominant and forced mistakes and punished Germany for it. Thats the sign of a good team.

France full deserved their win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

L'Allemagne, sigh. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Boring team? They were in the most exciting match of the tournament against Hungary.

Did you watch the rest of their matches? They generally set up to stop the opposition playing and are very effective at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Kobe248 wrote: »
    You do realise its cups where tactics come to the front

In each case possession football has lost this year

Bayern lost to a team who tactically out played them

France won as a team set up to sit back and hit on the counter

Barca lost to team set out to counter

Sit back let them pass it around the center isnt working anymore

I would've thought leagues were a better representation of the success of a style. Cup matches, in this case a one off match, are, in my view anyway, more open to luck or a mistake dramatically affecting the game. Germany got through against Italy with 59% possession, had 59, 63, 63 and 71% in their other games. They conceded one goal in those 5 games. Then they lose one game due to two poor mistakes.

Yes, Atletico beat both Bayern and Barca. However, in 7 of the last 8 games between Barca and Atletico Barca have won 7 I believe. So they lose 1 game and they've been found out?

How is it not working any more? Barca won the league and cup, and lost 1 Champions League game.

• Advertisement

Germany mainly score through fast breaks and counter-attacks. they're not very good at scoring when there are a lot of the other team behind the ball. France deliberately sat back to an extent and Germany just couldn't do it. Having some key players out injured / suspended certainly didn't help.
    Am actually up for Portugal in the final. Would like, for all his faults, for Ronaldo to get a trophy with his national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rgace wrote: »
    Did you watch the rest of their matches? They generally set up to stop the opposition playing and are very effective at it

Did you watch them? Ronaldo had more shots on goal in the group stages than most nations.

Set up to stop the opposition playing? Rubbish. They have bossed every game they played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Did you watch them? Ronaldo had more shots on goal in the group stages than most nations.

Set up to stop the opposition playing? Rubbish. They have bossed every game they played.

I agree they have deserved to win probably every game they played, I still think the Croatia and Poland matches in particular were mind numbingly boring. Everyone has different taste in the type of soccer they enjoy I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think Germany would have eventually taken the lead had Bastian not knocked the stuffing out of them, they were battering France until the peno and then another moment of stupidity doubled the lead

Portugal and France final is probably going to be the better game to watch anyhow so I'm happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rgace wrote: »
    I agree they have deserved to win probably every game they played, I still think the Croatia and Poland matches in particular were mind numbingly boring. Everyone has different taste in the type of soccer they enjoy I suppose

I was wrong to say they bossed the Croatia game. That one was quite even and as you say, very boring.

well one chance (game) left for this tournament to produce an actual quality game to remember - aside from the Potugal - Hungary game there hasn't been a really good game in the whole thing. Finals don't usually produce that but an early goal and you never know. See as it being cagey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

glasso wrote: »
    well one chance (game) left for this tournament to produce an actual quality game to remember - aside from the Potugal - Hungary game there hasn't been a really good game in the whole thing. Finals don't usually produce that but an early goal and you never know. See as it being cagey.

Lists suck but it's late so it will have to do. My favs from the tournament:

France 2 - 1 Romania
    Turkey 0 - 1 Croatia
    Czech Republic 2 - 2 Croatia
    Croatia 2 -1 Spain
    Belgium 0 - 2 Italy
    Hungary 3 - 3 Portugal
    Hungary 0 - 4 Belgium
    Italy 2 - 0 Spain
    England 1 - 2 Iceland
    Wales 3 - 1 Belgium
    Germany 1 - 1 Italy

And if I had to pick the best team to watch it would be Italy. Shame they fell short last Saturday as I don't think they would have had any problems getting past that French team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

cjmc wrote: »

Really annoys my fella too.

vidor wrote: »
    Lists suck but it's late so it will have to do. My favs from the tournament:

France 2 - 1 Romania
    Turkey 0 - 1 Croatia
    Czech Republic 2 - 2 Croatia
    Croatia 2 -1 Spain
    Belgium 0 - 2 Italy
    Hungary 3 - 3 Portugal
    Hungary 0 - 4 Belgium
    Italy 2 - 0 Spain
    England 1 - 2 Iceland
    Wales 3 - 1 Belgium
    Germany 1 - 1 Italy

And if I had to pick the best team to watch it would be Italy. Shame they fell short last Saturday as I don't think they would have had any problems getting past that French team.

Agree with you in that I think Italy would have beaten France. That's tournaments for you. Italy's lack of a truely decent striker caught up with them in the Germany game, even though they should have won the pens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Soooooo. 58 years! 58 bloody years to finally beat Germany again in a major tournament! Croatia denied us the "revenge" in '98. This time we got it and we did it!

As expected, Hummels and Gomez were big losses to Germany. We started very well, Griezmann could have scored one of the best goal of the comp' but Neuer made a great save and then slowly but surely Germany took control of the game. We played way too deep. Giroud was alone upfront running in and out trying to put them under pressure (no wonder why he lacked gas and focus when he created his own opportunity). Payet was asked to defend in a low position and was kinda lost all game. Bad tactic from Deschamps again but again he successfully readjusted it in the second half.

I was not convinced Umtiti was a good choice after his very average game vs Iceland but he played great for his second cap. I was also very suprised Deschamps went with the 4-2-3-1 with Sissoko to be the handyman on the right instead of his traditional 4-3-3 with Kanté. I guess he wanted to surf on the 1 and a half good game wave with it. I also suppose he'd seen Sissoko, albeit technically limited, never disappoints under the Blue jersey. He covers Sagna mistakes (like Matuidi for Evra), helps in midfield and goes forward when he can. Doesn't succeed every time but always try.

Schweini unhoped mistake changed everything. Credit to Griezmann to stand up for the peno after his CL final miss (though he had scored the one in the penalty shootout in that very game). He's definitely our star player now. Our playing should be built around him. His partnership with Giroud is great. He also links up perfectly with both Payet & Matuidi. Now, even if he's progressing, Pogba still hasn't found his best position in our team. And if we're to be down 30% ball possession, Payet's useless. Things to remember and learn for the final and the future.

Allez les Bleus :D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather see the Portuguese lads win the final even Ronaldo.

There is just something not right about how easy this French team have gone all the way

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather see the Portuguese lads win the final even Ronaldo.

There is just something not right about how easy this French team have gone all the way

Same for Portugal. Problem with having a 24 team tournament. No conspiracy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

iroced wrote: »
    As expected, Hummels and Gomez were big losses to Germany.

Khedira was a massive loss too imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Portugal didn't win a game in 90 minutes until Wales, got through their group in 3rd with 3 draws...they haven't exactly stormed their way to the final either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nice of you to reference my posts though. I know the meaning of your post, I won't be discussing it further.

You've no idea of the meaning. In fact, like Loew and Hummels, I suspect you're feeling rather annoyed today that Germany got beaten, and I suspect you're of the opinion, like those 2, that because Germany bossed the game in the middle third, that that means they were hard done by to lose last night.

Bollocks they were.

The two most important things in football, no matter what style of play is employed, are to keep goals out at one end, and score at the other. it's been that way since football was invented, and it will be that way until the end of time.

The great Spain era, for all of their utter brilliance in midfield, had the likes of Torres and Villa to spearhead and put the ball in the net, and Casillas and Puyol to keep them out.

The great Barca side of the late noughties, for all of their utter brilliance in midfield, had Messi, Villa and Pedro on fire to put the ball in the net, and Puyol, Pique, Abidal and Valdes to keep it out.

The current great Barca side has Messi, Neymar and Suarez. For all of everything else they have, they have that cutting edge up front to utterly blitz teams.

The German World Cup winners had an in-form Muller, and to a lesser extent Klose, and a mean defence with the likes of Hummels and Lahm.

The best Germany looked in this World Cup was with an ageing Mario Gomez in the team. The defence was largely impeccable until last night, when mistakes cost them.

You can have all the tiki-taka you want, or conversely, have all the direct football you want. It largely means nothing if you can't put the ball in the net, and if you can't keep it out. The game is actually mind-blowingly simple really, and is largely won in the penalty areas. I'm not saying midfield isn't important, but the work around the penalty box is infinitely more vital.

Germany were better than France in one area last night. Keeping the ball for large periods.
    They weren't better at creating chances.
    France's keeper had a better game.
    Umtiti and Koscielny were the best defenders on the pitch.
    And France had the best attacker on the pitch in Griezmann.

I know many don't believe the penalty was a penalty, but it's stonewall. Schweinsteiger had no business putting his hand there. And the earlier one on Kroos? Debatable. And it was probably a free kick anyway if it was a foul.

Simple.

Loew can fúck off with any bitterness. His team failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

SlickRic wrote: »
    You've no idea of the meaning. In fact, like Loew and Hummels, I suspect you're feeling rather annoyed today that Germany got beaten, and I suspect you're of the opinion, like those 2, that because Germany bossed the game in the middle third, that that means they were hard done by to lose last night.

Bollocks they were.

The two most important things in football, no matter what style of play is employed, are to keep goals out at one end, and score at the other. it's been that way since football was invented, and it will be that way until the end of time.

The great Spain era, for all of their utter brilliance in midfield, had the likes of Torres and Villa to spearhead and put the ball in the net, and Casillas and Puyol to keep them out.

The great Barca side of the late noughties, for all of their utter brilliance in midfield, had Messi, Villa and Pedro on fire to put the ball in the net, and Puyol, Pique, Abidal and Valdes to keep it out.

The current great Barca side has Messi, Neymar and Suarez. For all of everything else they have, they have that cutting edge up front to utterly blitz teams.

The German World Cup winners had an in-form Muller, and to a lesser extent Klose, and a mean defence with the likes of Hummels and Lahm.

The best Germany looked in this World Cup was with an ageing Mario Gomez in the team. The defence was largely impeccable until last night, when mistakes cost them.

You can have all the tiki-taka you want, or conversely, have all the direct football you want. It largely means nothing if you can't put the ball in the net, and if you can't keep it out. The game is actually mind-blowingly simple really, and is largely won in the penalty areas. I'm not saying midfield isn't important, but the work around the penalty box is infinitely more vital.

Germany were better than France in one area last night. Keeping the ball for large periods.
    They weren't better at creating chances.
    France's keeper had a better game.

I know many don't believe the penalty was a penalty, but it's stonewall. Schweinsteiger had no business putting his hand there. And the earlier one on Kroos? Debatable. And it was probably a free kick anyway if it was a foul.

Simple.

Loew can fúck off with any bitterness. His team failed.

That's such a basic view of football. I'd almost say it's akin to the mindset of the headmasters of the first school football teams in the 19th century. Obviously what you do at both ends of the pitch determines the result, I'm confident a 2 year old could tell me that, and in considerably fewer words. I don't think anybody, least of all me, is disputing that, afterall how could anyone dispute such a basic points, it's the equivalent of saying the aim of basketball is to put the ball through the hoop more than the opposing team.

You're disregard for midfield, or even beyond that, basic control of the game, is disconcerting. 2 silly mistakes handed France the win, on the balance if play it wasn't a tactical masterclass, it didn't come from the individual brilliance of any one player. To be very blunt, I wasn't impressed with France last night and haven't been throughout a tournament they'll surely win now. Certainly not a team I'd be tipping for World Cup glory in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No they weren't, Boateng was head and shoulders above every other defender while he was on the pitch with both his defending and distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

That's such a basic view of football. I'd almost say it's akin to the mindset of the headmasters of the first school football teams in the 19th century. Obviously what you do at both ends of the pitch determines the result, I'm confident a 2 year old could tell me that, and in considerably fewer words. I don't think anybody, least of all me, is disputing that, afterall how could anyone dispute such a basic points, it's the equivalent of saying the aim of basketball is to put the ball through the hoop more than the opposing team.

You're disregard for midfield, or even beyond that, basic control of the game, is disconcerting. 2 silly mistakes handed France the win, on the balance if play it wasn't a tactical masterclass, it didn't come from the individual brilliance of any one player. To be very blunt, I wasn't impressed with France last night and haven't been throughout a tournament they'll surely win now. Certainly not a team I'd be tipping for World Cup glory in 2 years.

Those mistakes wouldn't have had any impact if Germany actually were capable of converting all their passing into goal scoring opportunities.

All the slick passing in the world and control of the game is worthless if you can't carve open the opposition and Germany failed to do that last night.

i'm fully aware of the nuances of the tactics of football thanks very much. and as is quite typical, while you complain of people misinterpreting you very often, you once again misinterpret me.

where did i claim it was a French masterclass?
    where did i claim that they even played that well as a team?
    where did i disregard midfield?

and what's disconcerting, is that you seem to define control of a game in one way. control of the ball. if you have control of the ball, you control the game. it's not as simple as that. Germany had control of the ball, but mostly did nothing in the final third. Is that really control?

Leicester won the vast majority of their games without controlling the ball at all. But they controlled most of those games. They forced the opposition onto the wings to cross balls they knew their defenders could deal with. France did similarly last night. while the vast majority of that opening half was played in the France half, France still made sure that nothing came through the centre, and knew that if Germany could be forced wide, then they could handle the cross 95% of the time.

this doesn't mean France utterly controlled the game. But it does mean that they had a plan for handling Germany, and they seemed mostly comfortable with it. even in that opening half that Germany mostly dominated, France had just as many, if not more, clear opportunities.

It's the archetypal way of beating a possession based team that doesn't offer a whole lot of cutting edge. Football is evolving and is finding ways of beating stagnant possession.

France weren't very good, but it seems they didn't really need to be.

i'm fully aware of the nuances of the tactics of football thanks very much. and as is quite typical, while you complain of people misinterpreting you very often, you once again misinterpret me.

where did i claim it was a French masterclass?
    where did i claim that they even played that well as a team?
    where did i disregard midfield?

and what's disconcerting, is that you seem to define control of a game in one way. control of the ball. if you have control of the ball, you control the game. it's not as simple as that. Germany had control of the ball, but mostly did nothing in the final third. Is that really control?

Leicester won the vast majority of their games without controlling the ball at all. But they controlled most of those games. They forced the opposition onto the wings to cross balls they knew their defenders could deal with. France did similarly last night. while the vast majority of that opening half was played in the France half, France still made sure that nothing came through the centre, and knew that if Germany could be forced wide, then they could handle the cross 95% of the time.

this doesn't mean France utterly controlled the game. But it does mean that they had a plan for handling Germany, and they seemed mostly comfortable with it. even in that opening half that Germany mostly dominated, France had just as many, if not more, clear opportunities.

It's the archetypal way of beating a possession based team that doesn't offer a whole lot of cutting edge. Football is evolving and is finding ways of beating stagnant possession.

France weren't very good, but it seems they didn't really need to be.

Considering your comments about controlling a game I thought I'd offer my knowledge as a helping hand.

So now that you've outlined exactly what you aren't saying, what is it that you are saying?

Oh I know about game control, I'm very well versed in ways in which a game can be controlled. Where did I say it is only through possession? France had no control of the game beyond the opening 7 minutes and the closing of the game when Germany had given in. They looked more assured in the second half but still not controlled, Germany found more than a few openings through their midfield and in the half spaces with their high full backs linking with Draxler and Ozil inside while being supporting by Kroos or Can from deep. Not all games are controlled by possession, Klopp, Simeone and Mourinho all control games through spacing (in different ways each) while some do it through possession (Guardiola, Tuchel ect. (in different ways each) and with team shape both in and out of possession. If you fancy tapping into my knowledge of control I'd be happy to discuss it further.

If you really think Germany last night offered only stagnant possession then I don't know what to say except continuing this debate is pointless. Their passing was incisive, I'm sure if you check the stats you'll see a good number of German passes broke French lines last night. Their spacing in possession, as it has been for years now, is the best of any international team which allows Boateng, Schweinsteiger and Kroos to find those vertical passes which they do so often. Simply put, a combination of irregular defensive mistakes, a poor official and the absence of key players (both know terms of quality and character) all combined to make it not Germany's night. Without hesitation they'd be my pick for the World Cup at present.

• Advertisement

To be very blunt, I wasn't impressed with France last night and haven't been throughout a tournament they'll surely win now. Certainly not a team I'd be tipping for World Cup glory in 2 years.

2 points on this.

1. Who cares what happens in 2 years. France are in the final. 22 other teams can only dream about that so what happens in 2 years is of no consequence.

2. Lots of young talent in that team and plenty more on the bench and waiting in the sidelines.
    Not to mention the crisis they had at CB. Umtiti and Rami were probably 5th and 6th choice

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic for 2 years hence with the likes Of Coman and Martial to come to the fore. But more importantly, France will be in their 3rd EU euro final on Sunday. Hopefully they'll ve celebrating their 3rd win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think in a way Germany have become a victim of their own quality. Teams adapt of course and no longer afford them the space that automatically translates great quick passing into goals. So you need to be able to break them down and score regardless. We have failed to do that. So in that way I totally agree with Ric.
    If you compared it to golf its like the lament of the great ball strikers of the past like Hogan who wanted the hole made bigger cos they felt it unfair when an opponent with a clearly inferior swing out-chipped and out-putted them. It doesn't mean a thing if you have the most beautiful swing in the world and can flush a 3 iron 240 yards every time. Cos thats not the goal of the game. It helps of course, but the goal is to get that bloody ball into the hole.

Same with footie, we didn't get the ball into the net. But we will adapt too, we're not done yet. We had the lowest average age of all teams in the competition and while for some players like Schweini its coming to the end I don't fear the future.

Considering your comments about controlling a game I thought I'd offer my knowledge as a helping hand.

Oh I know about game control, I'm very well versed in ways in which a game can be controlled.

If you fancy tapping into my knowledge of control I'd be happy to discuss it further.

if you have to keep telling people how knowledgeable you are, then you're probably not as knowledgeable as you say you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The irony of you calling out another poster for descriptive posting

if you have to keep telling people how knowledgeable you are, then you're probably not as knowledgeable as you say you are.

I've oft found the opposite, those who declare themselves as learned men or experts tend to be telling a truth. I find myself having the confidence within this particular field as such men have had in their respective fields previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

totally agree! If germany had a full strength team they would have done them yesterday, that isnt taking into account every other advantage that went france's way this tournament. Although Ill stop short of blaming them for that moronic Boateng handball against the Italians...

there is a very high likelihood that two german handballs have cost them the euros IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I hope Portugal win the tournament definitely. I think they've been harshly criticised throughout the tournament for their lack of 'wins' and missed opportunities. They have created loads and missed them, that's football, but they have still been able to reach the final. They have played in an attractive way imo and have also shown a bit of steel when needed i.e. against Hungary going behind 3 times. They have dominated most games they have played as well. Their defence may let them down at times perhaps but I can definitely see them having quite a few chances against that France backline.

kfallon wrote: »
    Khedira was a massive loss too imo!
    Yeah but Germany outplayed us in midfield anyway without him.

Gomez was a huge loss for them as he'd have put our CBs under a lot more pressure and I presume Umtiti for his second international cap would have been a lot less calm and confident than he was.

Then, Hummels, one of if not the best defender in the world and our "persecutor" in 2014. Beyond his defending abilities, his passing quality was missed, to our great fortune.

I can't deny we've been fortunate up to now. But let's not forget the last couple of months before the Euro where a crazy series of catastrophies (Benzema-Valbuena affair, Sakho positive drug test, all the injuries e.g. L. Diarra, Varane, Mathieu) for us that eventually somehow turn into blessings in disguise for different reasons.
    • First, Benzema absence was somehow a relief for most of our attacking players in the sense that they can and have to put on the leader shirt and don't have to play for him who, unfortunately for us, struggles to replicate his Real Madrid level with France. Giroud is on a great scoring series over the last 10 games with France, he's very important to our game albeit not clinical enough in front of goal. Payet became our unexpected playmaker and Griezmann managed to become as good and now even better with Les Bleus than he's with Atlético.

• Second, Valbuena's unfair collateral absence made it easier for Deschamps to put Payet as our playmaker.

• Third, Lass Diarra injury pushed Kanté under the spotlight. He doesn't have the same first pass quality but he's a gift of God. Normally Diarra's absence should have been huge for us but Kanté came from nowhere and after a blinder of a season with Leicester doesn't seem to know what pressure means under the blue jersey.

• Fourth. Varane injury. Our supposed number one def. Well Koscielny is having the tournament of his life. Our leader at the back. Umtiti is quickly stepping up.

If you had told anyone in France 6 months ago that our current team was going to be the one in the final of "our" Euro, you'd have been sent to a mental institution :pac:. But here we are. Credits to Deschamps. Credits to the players. Deschamps built a squad like Jacquet with some controversial choices but so far and like Jacquet 18 years ago he's proven right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

^^ Credit to Platini and UEFA :)

• Advertisement

^^ Credit to Platini and UEFA :)
    You mean for Ireland's presence :p?

Advertisement