Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wont hand over a written notice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chuchote wrote: »
    OP hasn't *refused* to pay the last month's rent; s/he is holding it until the landlord provides the letter.
    If the OP has any letter, text, etc, from the landlord, saying for them to move out; grand, try the illegal eviction route, and/or use it to get the letter that the OP wants.

Otherwise, the LL could just turn around and say that the OP didn't pay a months rent, and moved out of the apartment without giving proper notice.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    My other guess is that as soon as you tell the ex-landlord that you're going to take him/her to the PRTB, the letter will magically appear and you can hand over your rent once you've read it and made sure it's satisfactory.
    As above, giving the OP the letter doesn't make sense to the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

This whole situation is fubar...... The OP moved in without having to pay a deposit??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

If there was no deposit paid, and you got a month's free rent, and already have a new place sorted, I would just move on without the letter. However if there was no written notice given, then the eviction is invalid and illegal. It's the first thing the PRTB considers in cases like this - was there a valid notice given? If not, it's game set and match. Check the recent tribunal results, when there is an invalid notice = judgement for the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

armabelle wrote: »
    Yes you are probably right. But what happens if someone can't make rent because of financial difficulty? Is that also illegal?

Yes it is illegal. The legal process is set out in the RTA 2004. The landlord must give 14 days notice of rent arrears followed by a 28 days notice of termination. The consequence is termination of the tenancy not jail time but it is no less illegal because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

regi3457 wrote: »
    Absolutely. I am not disputing that fact. What I am saying is that a crime that someone is prosecutent thed for is not the same as not paying rent. Maybe they are still "illegal" as you say but I just think t Trenthat is a strong word. That is my opinion and don't condone or recommend anything by saying it.

Why pay any rent ever then...

• Advertisement
Advertisement