Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF are 'back'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The ones who put political favourtism over profit? Surely any sensible company would wait and see what happened?
    Scaremongering is just scaremongering.

Bit late to move assets, staff etc if you wait until the taxes, levies etc are introduced and/or increased.

If SF or some such government looked like a reasonably proposition I'd imagine you'd see, initially, a suspension of investment. If the sense was that such an outcome was increasing in likelihood, investments would be suspended indefinitely and most probably directed elsewhere.

That would be followed by the re-location of easy to move but perhaps valuable income generating activities with associated staff.....which would accelerate to the point that by the time SF took power the companies in question would be delighted to take the writedown on their now empty properties at the rate of tax introduced by the new government ;)

Gotta vote for someone :P I would say Fine Gaels's popularity would change if Kenny was shafted for a new leader.

I'd say your right......the worrying thing is Varadkar seems to be in pole position to take over from Kenny. I'd be willing to bet that will happen sometime in the next 12 months (perhaps as soon as after the budget).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'd say your right......the worrying thing is Varadkar seems to be in pole position to take over from Kenny. I'd be willing to bet that will happen sometime in the next 12 months (perhaps as soon as after the budget).

I don't know how much longer Fine Gael TD's will put up with watching Fianna Fail's popularity continue to rise in the polls before they pull the plug on Kenny , particularly when Fianna Fail hold all the cards and can pretty much bring the government down whenever they like.

But untill theres a change at the Top in Fine Gael i'd expect to see Fianna Fails popularity continue to rise , with support for the indepentnts who've proved eiter to be complete self serving sellouts or next to useless so far to continue to fall.

I'm still predicting an Election by next March/April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No they didn't.

They balanced the books and that took some pain, and people don't like pain so they rejected them for it.

FF on the other hand sat back and promised lollipops and rainbows so the people preferred that.

yeah but there was the easy way that you are forgetting about, just keep on borrowing from people who wouldnt lend to us, to keep the worldclass welfare, public sector pay etc going!

The idea was so genius, I cant understand how our populist politicians didnt go for it!

OR no doubt the other great idea was to let the "rich" on 70k+ who are already being bent over backwards, pay more... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bit late to move assets, staff etc if you wait until the taxes, levies etc are introduced and/or increased.

If SF or some such government looked like a reasonably proposition I'd imagine you'd see, initially, a suspension of investment. If the sense was that such an outcome was increasing in likelihood, investments would be suspended indefinitely and most probably directed elsewhere.

That would be followed by the re-location of easy to move but perhaps valuable income generating activities with associated staff.....which would accelerate to the point that by the time SF took power the companies in question would be delighted to take the writedown on their now empty properties at the rate of tax introduced by the new government ;)

Just guesswork to be honest. The bottom line will as it always has been, 'can we make money'.

Just guesswork to be honest. The bottom line will as it always has been, 'can we make money'.

Well not really guesswork - you can see it now in the UK, the uncertainty caused by the referendum result is giving companies pause for thought when it comes to investment.......if a party like SF started to do well in the polls and it appeared that an election was reasonably imminent (within 6 months or so) I'd imagine a significant number of companies contemplating an investment would wait to see how matters panned out.

Well not really guesswork - you can see it now in the UK, the uncertainty caused by the referendum result is giving companies pause for thought when it comes to investment.......if a party like SF started to do well in the polls and it appeared that an election was reasonably imminent (within 6 months or so) I'd imagine a significant number of companies contemplating an investment would wait to see how matters panned out.

Is this the UK that is thinking of bringing it's rates down?

You are scaremongering to an extent. Companies would be more than likely waiting and seeing. Profit and the ease of making it is the bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You are scaremongering to an extent. Companies would be more than likely waiting and seeing. Profit and the ease of making it is the bottom line.

Of course profit is the bottom line, what's your point?

Of course profit is the bottom line, what's your point?

Who is going to stop them making a profit?
    The rate is much higher elsewhere, they haven't decamped en masse, so it is safe to assume that there are other factors to keep them there.

In other words the mass exodus idea is scaremongering.

• Advertisement

It is, presumably to make themselves more attractive to prospective investors.......which would make you think that the prospect them rising would give firms pause for thought when contemplating investments - the greater they perceive the chance of rates rising, the greater the chance an investment will be deferred.

It's not scaremongering.....it's behavioural economics.

It is, presumably to make themselves more attractive to prospective investors.......which would make you think that the prospect them rising would give firms pause for thought when contemplating investments - the greater they perceive the chance of rates rising, the greater the chance an investment will be deferred.

It's not scaremongering.....it's behavioural economics.

There are clearly other factors than rates. If Brexit happens, there will be increased incentives for them to come here, isn't that what we are told?
    The 'rate' is not everything if profit can be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

People point at EK as being incompetent, but I really dont think Varadkar is an improvement. At a time of heightened displeasure by the electorate against FG, and when the health service is at crisis point, Varadkar wanted to push ahead with the alcohol bill which would make booze more expensive. So much for trying to win the popular vote.

There are clearly other factors than rates. If Brexit happens, there will be increased incentives for them to come here, isn't that what we are told?
    The 'rate' is not everything if profit can be made.

Speaking from my own experience, the crowd I work for are UK owned and headquartered. When they set up their Irish operation there was just me and 2 other people. In the last 2 years between transfers and additional recruitment the office has expanded to 24 people. That was driven by the strength of sterling.

Naturally, when sterling tanked we were worried they'd start moving work back to the UK.......not a bit of it!! The senior partner has made it clear they see us as their growth centre - we offer pretty guaranteed continuous and uninterrupted access to the EU, and those clients we have in the US and Asia prefer to deal with us as we're based in a country (and work in a currency) that promises more stability over the medium term.

Btw, they also put their money where their mouth is and offered anyone on a contract an unconditional 12 month extension, or a written commitment to renew, if they wanted it.

syklops wrote: »
    People point at EK as being incompetent, but I really dont think Varadkar is an improvement. At a time of heightened displeasure by the electorate against FG, and when the health service is at crisis point, Varadkar wanted to push ahead with the alcohol bill which would make booze more expensive. So much for trying to win the popular vote.

I think Varadkar is dangerous........and not in a Maverick, Top Gun kind of way :)

The Alcohol Bill was a 'good' stroke and fairly typical of FG - throw out something contentious and we end up talking about that instead of important stuff like the state of the health service.

My own view is that the Constitutional Convention was concocted to deflect public attention away from the state of the economy.

Speaking from my own experience, the crowd I work for are UK owned and headquartered. When they set up their Irish operation there was just me and 2 other people. In the last 2 years between transfers and additional recruitment the office has expanded to 24 people. That was driven by the strength of sterling.

Naturally, when sterling tanked we were worried they'd start moving work back to the UK.......not a bit of it!! The senior partner has made it clear they see us as their growth centre - we offer pretty guaranteed continuous and uninterrupted access to the EU, and those clients we have in the US and Asia prefer to deal with us as we're based in a country (and work in a currency) that promises more stability over the medium term.

Btw, they also put their money where their mouth is and offered anyone on a contract an unconditional 12 month extension, or a written commitment to renew, if they wanted it.

I don't see any party FF, FG, Lab, SF, and the independents who wants to change that environment.
    I do see parties and independents who want to ensure that there is something in it for the country too.
    If the more greedy and selfish can't live with that should we be sorry when they go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You really do have to laugh at the FG supporters who get so indignant at the thoughts of someone supporting a party that is pretty much exactly the same as theirs but a little more liberal.

Jayop wrote: »
    You really do have to laugh at the FG supporters who get so indignant at the thoughts of someone supporting a party that is pretty much exactly the same as theirs but a little more liberal.

The PDs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭nc6000

Does it really make any difference who is in Government? I don't think so. I'm just so sick of the lot of them that as long as it's not SF then i couldn't care less who is in Government or who the various ministers are.

We just seem to stumble from one fiasco to another and never seem to learn anything.

I don't see any party FF, FG, Lab, SF, and the independents who wants to change that environment.
    I do see parties and independents who want to ensure that there is something in it for the country too.
    If the more greedy and selfish can't live with that should we be sorry when they go?

Well, I'm not sure SF know what they want, or if they do they've yet to figure out how to articulate it in a coherent fashion.

As for the 'greedy and selfish,' I'm not sure exactly who you are referring to, but if it's foreign firms with investments and operations here, their departure might be somehow viscerally satisfying, but they're not going to leave the jobs behind, now are they?

Well, I'm not sure SF know what they want, or if they do they've yet to figure out how to articulate it in a coherent fashion.

As for the 'greedy and selfish,' I'm not sure exactly who you are referring to, but if it's foreign firms with investments and operations here, their departure might be somehow viscerally satisfying, but they're not going to leave the jobs behind, now are they?

I'd be referring to corporations like Dell as 'greedy and selfish' and with no real commitment to anywhere. The tax rate didn't make much difference to them when another country(with EU blessings) dangled a big enough incentive to abandon workers and a region.
    Better off without them ultimately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's no surprise. The thought of Varadkar leading the country would drive anyone to giving FF a swift forgiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I have to say I was someone who said they would never vote FF again after the mess they made of the country. However I feel Michael Martin has done a good job as leader and I find they are the party I would vote for if another election was happening. Politics is a funny game...
    No it's not, general electorates are just dumb.

Billy86 wrote: »
    No it's not, general electorates are just dumb.

So we're told we're dumb to vote Ff, criminal dole heads for SF, vote wasters for independents.

FG supporters are incredibly arrogant.

So we're told we're dumb to vote Ff, criminal dole heads for SF, vote wasters for independents.

No, they are right wing ideologues!!!

The 'we don't respect democracy' people. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:
    Can we up the standard a bit please, so less of the throwaway lines thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's amazing how surprised some people here are at this news.

First off, Enda Kenny is a complete liability and will be remembered as one of the worse "leaders" this country has had. He's led 2 Governments that stumbled from scandal to scandal (and continue to do so), and which have been defined by equal measures of out of touch arrogance and pure incompetence and greed. As others have said above, he/they had a golden opportunity to reform politics and economics in this country in 2011.. but instead we've had the same old cronyism, waste, dodgy dealings (Siteserv etc) and so on that FF are rightly castigated for, as well as them stoking yet another property crisis under the guise of a "Recovery" which is more thanks to investment by private enterprise and favourable external factors that our open economy is wholly dependent on.

Also don't forget that FG are NEVER elected on their own merits or policies but as a protest vote against FF when the latter get too big for their boots and need slapping down. But as above, FG manage to somehow be even worse and this then results in FF being re-elected in short order. The only real difference between them are personalities and FG being more blatant and arrogant about the shenanigans.

We are effectively a one party state and have been since its foundation, so it should be no surprise that FF are lining up to take the reins once again.

Bang on.

I agree that nobody should be surprised at this at all. Perhaps it's just another example of FG'er arrogance?

The simple fact is that a lot of FF'ers lent FG their vote and many of them have just taken it back.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Bang on.

I agree that nobody should be surprised at this at all. Perhaps it's just another example of FG'er arrogance?

The simple fact is that a lot of FF'ers lent FG their vote and many of them have just taken it back.
    And/or the sad truth that FF good-as-literally own so many votes from the sheer number of Irish people completely unable to think for themselves.

/\

That's not the case.

FG screwed things up themselves. They had their shot. Their "new" politics turned out to be bullshit and people saw through it.

So the people who lent their vote to them said WTF, we might as well just go with the devil we know. :confused:

Fine Gael had their chance. It didn't have go this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

anyone but SF innit ??

• Advertisement

/\

That's not the case.

FG screwed things up themselves. They had their shot. Their "new" politics turned out to be bullshit and people saw through it.

So the people who lent their vote to them said WTF, we might as well just go with the devil we know. :confused:

My point is by saying you 'lend' you vote to someone gives the impression that it belongs elsewhere by default, which is my point. And a hell of a lot of people voted FF because their families and communities vote FF, and in rural Ireland you don't want to be seen as an outsider. It's a big issue in many country's politics, and Ireland is absolutely no exception.

FG fecked up in a good few ways, but they still had a sizable net benefit when you look at the country now vs 2011. The next few years are going to be interesting.

My point is by saying you 'lend' you vote to someone gives the impression that it belongs elsewhere by default, which is my point.

Well, it does. It belongs to you.

Well, it does. It belongs to you.
    Just a shame more Irish people aren't usually aware of that fact.

I think a lot are and it's getting better. Sure, we've had a problem in this country with the civil war parties and people being afraid of taking a chance elsewhere. But when people do take a chance, a la FF'ers having a punt on FG and FG fuck it up, it's only natural that the FF'ers will retreat back to what they know.

You can't really blame people for doing that.

As I said above, it didn't HAVE to go that way. But like the scorpion in the old tale, they just couldn't help themselves. They had the good will of the people. They had their "new" politics. It's just that the only thing "new" about their "new" politics is that it was them doing the same crap FF were doing before.

My point is by saying you 'lend' you vote to someone gives the impression that it belongs elsewhere by default, which is my point. And a hell of a lot of people voted FF because their families and communities vote FF, and in rural Ireland you don't want to be seen as an outsider. It's a big issue in many country's politics, and Ireland is absolutely no exception.

FG fecked up in a good few ways, but they still had a sizable net benefit when you look at the country now vs 2011. The next few years are going to be interesting.

People in rural areas tell others who they vote for? News to me and I'm rural.

/\

That's not the case.

Absolutely - one of the immutable rules of politics is never waste a good crisis. They had the perfect chance to come in and effectively trash the old system and replace it with a way of doing political business that could potentially have set things up for them to remain in power for 10 years - no idea would have been too mad to try given the mess we were in.

Instead, they just pulled into the middle of the road, put it in neutral and thought they could coast to the election on the back of the troika using the previous FF administration as a whipping boy for any problems that arose.

Then they tried 'project fear' in the election, figuring it worked to get Cameron re-elected, except that the Tory project fear was a lot better crafted and much more subtle - they used the 'Harvey Norman' version of project fear - loud and in-your-face thinking that's what you needed to do to get through to an Irish electorate.

I think when the next history of FG is written Kenny won't come out of it well - he won't celebrated as the leader who delivered an unprecedented second term, he'll be derided for wasting the opportunity to cement FG's hold on government for a generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Absolutely - one of the immutable rules of politics is never waste a good crisis. They had the perfect chance to come in and effectively trash the old system and replace it with a way of doing political business that could potentially have set things up for them to remain in power for 10 years - no idea would have been too mad to try given the mess we were in.

Instead, they just pulled into the middle of the road, put it in neutral and thought they could coast to the election on the back of the troika using the previous FF administration as a whipping boy for any problems that arose.

Then they tried 'project fear' in the election, figuring it worked to get Cameron re-elected, except that the Tory project fear was a lot better crafted and much more subtle - they used the 'Harvey Norman' version of project fear - loud and in-your-face thinking that's what you needed to do to get through to an Irish electorate.

I think when the next history of FG is written Kenny won't come out of it well - he won't celebrated as the leader who delivered an unprecedented second term, he'll be derided for wasting the opportunity to cement FG's hold on government for a generation.

But what trashing of the old system could they do ?

They tried to get rid of the upper house that failed, they reduced the number of local politicians and have been criticised for it.

What exactly did people expect ?

No way could a government rewrite the political makeup of the country in a single term like some claim they expected this one to do.

No way could they overhaul the public service without major back lash for the employees.
    And remember public service employees, of all levels, make up a hell of a lot of people in this country.

I think people like to throw out the "they did not reform enough" excuse not for voting for them as a mask to cover their real reason, they are voting FF because they promised more.

But what trashing of the old system could they do ?

1. remove the cronyism from public appointments - if ever we needed the best people for the job it was in and around 2011 - establish a proper merit based system of appointment and promotion in the public, and civil services. Reform policing, health and local government to bring it into the 21st Century

2. plug the accountability gap - give Dail committees real power of oversight and even if they didn't want to do that they could have held people to account.....it's practically unheard of for anyone to resign or lose their job because of poor performance - people get moved, even promoted, anything except dismissed

3. in support of #2 bring in proper audit procedures and reporting - the C&AG does a competent enough job, but something more like the US Office of Management and Budget (OMB) could have been established and given some teeth

4. set up proper, accountable, cross-departmental agencies to deliver services with scrutiny oversight of same running through the appropriate Dail committee instead of the minister and his/her senior civil servants.
    They tried to get rid of the upper house that failed, they reduced the number of local politicians and have been criticised for it.

What exactly did people expect ?

They didn't get rid of enough local politicians - we are a country of some 4 million people - with over 30 local councils!!! There are cities with twice our national population that are run by single administrations - 3 or 4 regional bodies would be more than sufficient as a local government structure. They could then be better aligned with enterprise and business promotion structures.

The Seanad referendum was another political stunt designed to distract people - where is the promised reform?
    No way could a government rewrite the political makeup of the country in a single term like some claim they expected this one to do.

Not normally, but given the unprecedented crisis we found ourselves in they could have.
    No way could they overhaul the public service without major back lash for the employees.
    And remember public service employees, of all levels, make up a hell of a lot of people in this country.

Yes, I was in the PS up until 2 years ago - and the overhaul would have been justified and yes there would have been a backlash - but out of the chaos would have emerged a modern PS fit for the 21st century not the continuation of the Trevelyan-Northcote model we've lumbered on with for the past 150 years.
    I think people like to throw out the "they did not reform enough" excuse not for voting for them as a mask to cover their real reason, they are voting FF because they promised more.

It's not that they didn't "reform enough" - they didn't reform at all! For example, Kenny promised an end to cronyism - aside from the very public incidents that have been reported on, I know from personal experience that simply has not happened.

The seanad reform was a joke.

• Advertisement

People in rural areas tell others who they vote for? News to me and I'm rural.
    Small problem is I didn't say that, did I?

Small problem is I didn't say that, did I?

How else would they be 'seen' to be 'outsiders' if voting is secret?
    Billy86 wrote:
    and in rural Ireland you don't want to be seen as an outsider

How else would they be 'seen' to be 'outsiders' if voting is secret?
    Because if everyone else is voting FF, they'd feel left out otherwise. And if it comes up in conversation, they wouldn't feel comfortable/confident talking about it. So easier just to do as everyone else is doing. A lot of people these days seem to vote without doing much research or even thinking much about it, and best to follow the crowd in that scenario. It's a downside to extremely tightly-knit communities, where homogeneity plays a big role (though obviously not as much as it used to).

The justification that FG messed up so they're returning to FF doesn't hold up, because FF messed up in a way that no government ever has before in the history of this country, or of many countries. And when people say it has to do with corruption, let's not forget FF got over 40% of the vote when Bertie was on trial for something we all knew he wasn't innocent of. And in 2011, despite having utterly tanked the entire national economy, close to half of that 40% still insisted that they will vote for them no matter what. Which goes back to what I was getting at, that FF do good-as-literally own the votes of quite a large number of people in Ireland.

If someone voted for FF in 2011, I don't see any conceivable way (short of declaring war on the rest of Europe) that they would ever vote against them.

---

Either way, the country needs a solid left party, by which I mean a party to the left that is actually to the left and not the jokes we have in their place. Thinking more economically than culturally here by the way (we're a pretty progressive bunch across most of the board so there doesn't seem to be much need for government agenda on this front), the type that would want more services etc but also at the cost of higher taxes, and not the magic money tree clowns currently occupying those spaces. But that's a different matter. :o

Because if everyone else is voting FF, they'd feel left out otherwise. And if it comes up in conversation, they wouldn't feel comfortable/confident talking about it. So easier just to do as everyone else is doing.
    I stopped reading after this as I suddenly realised you were stuck in the 40's or 50's, it is a very naive/comedic view of rural Ireland.

I stopped reading after this as I suddenly realised you were stuck in the 40's or 50's, it is a very naive/comedic view of rural Ireland.

Except it's completely true of much of my friends and family in and from there and share that opinion.

Except it's completely true of much of my friends and family in and from there and share that opinion.

:) What part of rural Ireland are you from that people are afraid to say who they vote for?
    I don't recognise that 'place' at all. And I am in my mid 50's

• Advertisement

Because if everyone else is voting FF, they'd feel left out otherwise. And if it comes up in conversation, they wouldn't feel comfortable/confident talking about it. So easier just to do as everyone else is doing. A lot of people these days seem to vote without doing much research or even thinking much about it, and best to follow the crowd in that scenario. It's a downside to extremely tightly-knit communities, where homogeneity plays a big role (though obviously not as much as it used to).

The justification that FG messed up so they're returning to FF doesn't hold up, because FF messed up in a way that no government ever has before in the history of this country, or of many countries. And when people say it has to do with corruption, let's not forget FF got over 40% of the vote when Bertie was on trial for something we all knew he wasn't innocent of. And in 2011, despite having utterly tanked the entire national economy, close to half of that 40% still insisted that they will vote for them no matter what. Which goes back to what I was getting at, that FF do good-as-literally own the votes of quite a large number of people in Ireland.

If someone voted for FF in 2011, I don't see any conceivable way (short of declaring war on the rest of Europe) that they would ever vote against them.

---

Either way, the country needs a solid left party, by which I mean a party to the left that is actually to the left and not the jokes we have in their place. Thinking more economically than culturally here by the way (we're a pretty progressive bunch across most of the board so there doesn't seem to be much need for government agenda on this front), the type that would want more services etc but also at the cost of higher taxes, and not the magic money tree clowns currently occupying those spaces. But that's a different matter. :o

Labour?

The left/right spectrum of Ireland goes roughly like this

AAA - PBP
    SF - SDs -- LAB -- Greens -- FF --- FG
    Renua
    II

I'm not sure with having a slightly smaller gap between the communists and the republicans would change much? Or if there was another party in the mix would it anything bar add even more noise to an already disjointed raggle taggle band?

:) What part of rural Ireland are you from that people are afraid to say who they vote for?
    I don't recognise that 'place' at all. And I am in my mid 50's
    If you must ask, Castlebar and around it, out to past Claremorris and Roscommon into Longford, and then more down around Kilkenny and Wexford.

You don't seem to have weighed in as to why 40% of the country voted for FF despite Bertie being in a tribunal we all knew he was far from innocent in, and why nearly 20% voted for them after they ruined the country in a way that no Irish government ever has before, and hopefully never will again.

Labour?

The left/right spectrum of Ireland goes roughly like this

AAA - PBP
    SF - SDs -- LAB -- Greens -- FF --- FG
    Renua
    II

I'm not sure with having a slightly smaller gap between the communists and the republicans would change much? Or if there was another party in the mix would it anything bar add even more noise to an already disjointed raggle taggle band?
    Labour seemed like they could have been it, but they have a long, tough road ahead of them in that sense due to the last few years. Who knows, but they might be done as a strong political force. The SDs interest me, but it is still early days. SF I'm not a big fan of and don't see too much in terms of solutions from them. AAA-PBP are an embarrassment to anyone and everyone that would like to see improvements in infrastructure, services, etc with their magic money tree nonsense, and mindset that the wealthy (who, being wealthy, can move everything out of the country very quickly if needs be)... But how the SDs develop is definitely of interest to me.

It's funny in a sense that the fact we can agree on a lot of social issues as a country without too much hassle (there's no mass movement against migration in Ireland, far right parties like Identity Ireland are basically rejected, the gay marriage referendum passing in all but one constituency which if I recall was still about 52-48 so very close, etc), could also be what is holding legitimate parties to the left back, in so much that is makes it harder for them to 'leap off the page' and appeal to potential new voters from the get-go, because championing things like equality in Ireland (though not all cases, of course!) won't get you very far... we're mostly quite strongly for it, and it's something more or less all the major parties agree on. And don't get me wrong, ultimately that is very much a good thing.

Labour?

Labour haven't a clue what they are these days.

Neither do the rest of us.

If you must ask, Castlebar and around it, out to past Claremorris and Roscommon into Longford, and then more down around Kilkenny and Wexford.

You don't seem to have weighed in as to why 40% of the country voted for FF despite Bertie being in a tribunal we all knew he was far from innocent in, and why nearly 20% voted for them after they ruined the country in a way that no Irish government ever has before, and hopefully never will again.

Because they weren't Fine Gael, or Labour or the others.

The EXACT same reason why core voters of Fine Gael vote for Fine Gael.

• Advertisement
Advertisement