Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF are 'back'

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tony EH wrote: »
    Because they weren't Fine Gael, or Labour or the others.

The EXACT same reason why core voters of Fine Gael vote for Fine Gael.
    Which is what I mean, that tying yourself to a party be it FG, Labour, FF, SF or whoever, is a terrible and is bad both for democracy and the country in general. And on the FF end, at least the 17-18% of the country they got in 2011 are exactly that - people who will vote for FF no matter what, and so they're votes that FF good as literally own themselves. It's a problem I would imagine in most if not all modern democracies, but some are worse than others for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nobody has mentioned the biggest swing over the last 10 years, Independents.

FF got about 24% of the vote, you'd swear they nearly got an overall majority or something! FF & FG now account for 50% of the vote, it was 85% in their heyday. Add Labour and the traditional 2 and a half party system didn't even get 60%.

Even SF haven't done great it's a very slow rise.

So Independents are the ones that are gaining and it's a variety of reasons but disillusionment with the main parties including SF is the big factor.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Billy86 wrote: »
    If you must ask, Castlebar and around it, out to past Claremorris and Roscommon into Longford, and then more down around Kilkenny and Wexford.

You don't seem to have weighed in as to why 40% of the country voted for FF despite Bertie being in a tribunal we all knew he was far from innocent in, and why nearly 20% voted for them after they ruined the country in a way that no Irish government ever has before, and hopefully never will again.

Because very few people believe it was just them who shagged the country?
    Because we still haven't figured out that system of 'hand the baton on' government is what is holding the country back.

FF were always going to bounce back as will Labour and as will FG. It's seesaw politics and that is a much deeper problem than so called gombeen's sticking with FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Billy86 wrote: »
    Which is what I mean, that tying yourself to a party be it FG, Labour, FF, SF or whoever, is a terrible and is bad both for democracy and the country in general.

I know exactly what you mean. I agree with you. But you will always have a core votership to some degree. This is changing though. A huge number of Labour voters have jumped ship. Likewise, a substantial number of Fianna Fail voters chucked a vote to Fine Gael, only to see that they were happy to emulate Fianna Fail's worst aspects and so have retracted back to Fianna Fail in the hope that things may have changed in that camp.

Thing is though, is that the electorate are trying out different parties.

The problem is, is that those parties aren't trying anything new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

K-9 wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned the biggest swing over the last 10 years, Independents.

True, but a huge amount of those Independents that are now representatives at council level and in the Dáil are former FF members. A lot of the votes they receive are from people who would have formerly voted FF.

I'd imagine FF will be targeting those Independents and voters in the months ahead, especially now that satisfaction with Independents is falling.

This Irish Times article from today is a case in point - Gloves off between FF and Healy-Raes in fight for the Kingdom

Also, watch how Independents will look to re-join FF. It's already happening.
    The war intensified recently with the return to the Fianna Fáil fold of prominent Independent councillor Michael Cahill from Rossbeigh. This makes the party the largest on Kerry County Council by one, over Fine Gael.

This pattern is emerging up and down the country. I wouldn't rule out certain TD's joining FF either.

Advertisement