Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman claims from accident at Dublin Zoo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

They admitted liability. Basically saying it was their own fault and they were negligent. What do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What are they meant to do with the manhole, have people stand round it when it rains?
    I think there's a paint you can get to give it a bit of traction.

This one seems fair enough. If you're going to let people onto your property you're kind of responsible for their safety. Manhole covers are an obvious one for causing problems. The problem for the zoo is maybe no one thought to make an issue of one or two slippy manhole covers and eventually someone slipped. But for a public attraction, it's probably worth having a health and safety crew go through the property to make sure there are no potential hazards. When you have thousands of people going through the property on a weekly basis it's only a matter of time before people find the accidents.

As you get older injuries mount up and can seriously hamper your quality of life. A younger person may have gotten away with it, older people could get a permanent injury.

A business has a responsibility to their customers and staff to ensure safe conditions. They did not. Someone suffered a painful accident (dislocating ankle? yeesh!) because of this. The business admitted negligence and paid the price of this.

I can't really see the issue, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What was found in America, after a few big pay out, insurance companies insisted on their policy-holders being careful. Guess what? The number of accidents fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

yes you can put the fault on Dublin zoo but you could now say that every manhole cover or metal surface which you would walk on is now gonna be a potential claim
    accidents happen. Cant blame companies or council. These are why prices in this country is high, nothing is ever just an accident these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dislocations can be nasty enough with a knock on effect for years. Easy to get angry from reading the title and seeing as the judge said he was happy with her statement then who's to say the weight didn't pile onto her when she was laid up.

Liability was admitted, case closed ... I mean I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You really aren't a nice person.

Is he not entitled to an opinion either way?

I'd look on your rash decision to label him as not a nice person as more a negative than his coarse outlook.

As it's AH, you may be just thankswhoring, in that case, bate away.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I can't really see the issue, myself.

For me its the payout. 115k for a dislocated ankle seems a lot. If you said 40k is a avg yearly wage its 3 years wages for a dislocated ankle which to me is disproportionate. I do agree Dublin Zoo have a duty of care and failed in their duty of care. The payout will come from Dublin Zoo's insurance company but it will have a bounce back on higher premiums etc. As we all know insurance companies dont like losing money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think there's a paint you can get to give it a bit of traction.

This one seems fair enough. If you're going to let people onto your property you're kind of responsible for their safety.

are we talking about people aged 5 or grown-ups?

Grown-ups are responsible for their own decisions, including walking on slippy manhole covers.

But for a public attraction, it's probably worth having a health and safety crew go through the property to make sure there are no potential hazards. When you have thousands of people going through the property on a weekly basis it's only a matter of time before people find the accidents.

Nope - no need for health and saftey. Anyone who feels unable to safely look after themselves in public should be handing themselves into the police or social services. She decided herslef to do something, her own free will. The state, or the law, is not this grown adult's parent.

Not doubting the injury, but rather the attempt to legislate for stupidity and her personal carelessness, to do something as (for her) dangerous as walking on a manhale in the rain.

If she is observed doing the same thing on a street in the centre of town, what then? Does she require a bubble? Is she allowed onto streets with manholes or should she be banned from walking on rainy days?

A health and saftey assessment would be unlikely to identify a manhole cover as a problem. They are part of normal civic structures. If you cannot be safe, stay at home. Hopefully you won't fall into the toilet, or get your arm stuck under a cushion.

dissed doc wrote: »
    Nope - no need for health and saftey. Anyone who feels unable to safely look after themselves in public should be handing themselves into the police or social services. She decided herslef to do something, her own free will. The state, or the law, is not this grown adult's parent.

Not doubting the injury, but rather the attempt to legislate for stupidity and her personal carelessness, to do something as (for her) dangerous as walking on a manhale in the rain.

If she is observed doing the same thing on a street in the centre of town, what then? Does she require a bubble? Is she allowed onto streets with manholes or should she be banned from walking on rainy days?

Yes, she requires a bubble. And in accepting that it was all their fault, the zoo was wrong and you understand the facts better than they do. Your bubble solution really is the only way. Or banning walking on wet days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Icaras wrote: »
    For me its the payout. 115k for a dislocated ankle seems a lot. If you said 40k is a avg yearly wage its 3 years wages for a dislocated ankle which to me is disproportionate. I do agree Dublin Zoo have a duty of care and failed in their duty of care. The payout will come from Dublin Zoo's insurance company but it will have a bounce back on higher premiums etc. As we all know insurance companies dont like losing money.

Where did the €115,000 come from? Just pulled out of the air? Even if it was 100% the zoos fault, how is it decided that €115k is the right amount to pay out? Seems like a lot for the injury involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While the Zoo did admit some liabilty meaning she is by law entitled to something I really feel that €115,000 is far too much for a simple dislocation. Not a pleasant injury to be sure but this smacks of 'Compo Culture'.

Surely personal responsibility has to be taken? Surely she could have taken better care to watch where she was going? Surely the Zoo can't be held to account for rain? Surely you don't need to be Einstein to know that any metal that gets wet is lethal to walk to on?

Surely we can't expect Dublin Zoo to have some-one standing guard over each and every potentially dangerous part of the premises when it rains?

This was in no way 100% the fault of Dublin Zoo and they should never have had to accept the blame fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I agree that they liable and entitled to claim - but I don't understand where the €100k came from
    She was on crutches for 13 week's - give her maybe €23k, two grand for each week
    The amount is at the discretion of the judge am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

We're all to blame.

Those of us paying for these big awards anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'd look on your rash decision to label him as not a nice person as more a negative than his coarse outlook.

When someone expresses such a nasty opinion, it's rarely their only one. 'Not a nice person' is a very mild way of describing someone who spouts that kind of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i love the way that common sense is never used in these cases. I know there a lot of facts missing but they make these people sound like there stupid or something. Is this the way were going now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

BLAAH she's an overweight woman GRRAAAHH personal responsibility!! BLLAHHH premiums BLLLUUUHH!! who, oh yes, had an accident.

But mostly, she's an overweight woman.

Has anyone suggested otherwise?

People are entitled to have terrible opinions, just as people are entitled to point out how terrible those opinions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I agree that they liable and entitled to claim - but I don't understand where the €100k came from
    She was on crutches for 13 week's - give her maybe €23k, two grand for each week
    The amount is at the discretion of the judge am I right?

what about the ongoing pain or the inability to exercise properly? how much do you think that is worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

How about the poor charities that are missing out on her fundraising due to her not being able to take part in any charity walks or cycles, how much of the €115,000 will they be getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

As an overweight woman, am I deemed to be a second class citizens or something?

Am I not allowed to claim for an accident that wasn't my fault because I am fat?!

Crazy!

I do think the figure awarded sounds like a lot, and maybe compensation is something that really needs to be looked at in this country considering your average whiplash cost s 15,000....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I wonder if there were complaints made to the Zoo about the manhole cover being slippery when wet? Given the amount of rain and number of pedestrians that annually visit the ZG, this should have been picked up on.

Just because the Zoo admitted liability in Court doesn't mean they were knowingly at fault; County Councils often admit liability rather than prolong a court case that will find against them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

BLAAH she's an overweight woman GRRAAAHH personal responsibility!! BLLAHHH premiums BLLLUUUHH!! who, oh yes, had an accident.

But mostly, she's an overweight woman.

Has anyone suggested otherwise?

Yeah fair enough.

People are entitled to have terrible opinions, just as people are entitled to point out how terrible those opinions are.

That he didn't do though. He's as guilty of labelling as the the poster who threw "fat ****" around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Just because the Zoo admitted liability in Court doesn't mean they were knowingly at fault; County Councils often admit liability rather than prolong a court case that will find against them anyway.

So they admit liability, because they know even if they fight it they'll be found liable but they're not at fault? :confused:

RayM wrote: »
    When someone expresses such a nasty opinion, it's rarely their only one. 'Not a nice person' is a very mild way of describing someone who spouts that kind of crap.

What was nasty about the opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

While the Zoo did admit some liabilty meaning she is by law entitled to something I really feel that €115,000 is far too much for a simple dislocation. Not a pleasant injury to be sure but this smacks of 'Compo Culture'.
    It doesn't seem like too much money when you consider she's going to be dealing with this injury for the rest of her life. At her age she probably won't heal properly and it will probably be one of those injuries that creates a weakness inviting repeated injury. The ankle is a pretty complex joint, bottom line is it's also a crucial joint, any injury would cause significant problems for anybody.
    Surely personal responsibility has to be taken? Surely she could have taken better care to watch where she was going? Surely the Zoo can't be held to account for rain? Surely you don't need to be Einstein to know that any metal that gets wet is lethal to walk to on?
    When I went to the zoo I was looking at the animals, not the ground. Even if you are the kind of person who spends the majority of their time scanning the ground in front of you, you can't do it 100% of the time or you'll start banging your head on things. We live in a world that's man made, we expect it to be suitable for the conditions. I'd say very few people actually look where they're going most the time. A slippy man hole cover isn't going to stop being a slippy manhole cover, it's hazzard that simply shouldn't be there. I have sympathy for the zoo, it's almost impossible to cover every hazard, but I wouldn't be to surprised if she wasn't the first person to slip.
    Surely we can't expect Dublin Zoo to have some-one standing guard over each and every potentially dangerous part of the premises when it rains?
    No, but they could prepare their property for rain and make sure it doesn't become dangerous. That would make sense to me seeing as it rains so often in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

It is possible that the zoo admitted liability to limit legal fees and PR damage.

The reality is that it was her own fault. Where is the duty of care towards oneself? Should she not have watched where she was walking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

He called her a fat <snip> that is by definition nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

He made a horrible and disgusting personal remark about a person he doesn't even know.

I mean, where does that anger for a stranger even come from?!

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

elastics wrote: »
    Overweight people are more likely to injure themselves when they fall.

They need to take responsibility - This is their own fault for over eating

The world doesn't owe them a nice little cotton wool wrapped care free environment.

how do you know she was overweight when the accident happened?

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    So they admit liability, because they know even if they fight it they'll be found liable but they're not at fault? :confused:

It's easier and cheaper to admit liability than drag out the court case, incurring significant legal expense to show that the person possibly didn't show due care (seeing as how many thousands visit the Zoo when it's raining without slipping on manhole covers - covers which comply with whatever health and Safety regulations govern manhole covers).

I worked with the National Parks and Wildlife Services and could tell you a few stories about ridiculous claims which were not contested. I've heard quite a few from lads who worked with FAS in the 90's.

Advertisement