Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance question

• 07-07-2016 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am pretty clueless when it comes to all this would appreciate any help on my current situ...

I am 35 and female and looking to get back driving again. I was driving for a few years but had an accident in 2011 where I was rear ended and lost my case AND appeal. It was a pretty awful experience (and long story) of the justice system which when my old fiesta gave up the ghost a few months after I just decided to do without!

Now however I want to go back as I live in the country and relying on public transport is sending me a little bit loola!

A few details....

The accident happened back in Sept 2011
    My last insurance policy finished in 2012 and at that point I had a 3 years no claim bonus.

Would i be better off hanging on till September before I go looking for insurance again as that makes the accident 5 years ago. People keep saying that the plate is swiped clean at this stage???

Anyway if anyone has any words of wisdom before I start calling round for quotes that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sone insurance companies specify 3 yrs others 5yrs so it depends on what company you get the quote from. Do a few online quotes and see.

How did you lose a case where YOU were rear ended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

If it was me I'd just call and get ideas to put my mind at rest if nothing else. Call a broker maybe and let them know your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Definitely call a broker and get some proper advise - she will be able to steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Sone insurance companies specify 3 yrs others 5yrs so it depends on what company you get the quote from. Do a few online quotes and see.

How did you lose a case where YOU were rear ended?

A question I will never be able to fully answer but a few things went against my favour.

Both times we were heard before lunch and the other party was called up before me. By the time I went up the judge just wasn't listening. Our barrister was very kindly and soft and theirs was a terrier to me. Tey were just good liars. They made up stuff that totally through me on the day. Also I was stupidly of the notion that the truth was on my side. It was a life lesson that that just isn't how the justice system works!

A qualified mechanic testified with two toy cars showing the accident as it happened based on actual evidence and proved I was rear ended and declared it on oath and the judge still ruled in favour against me as she just wasn't listening to what he was saying. She had made her judgement about an hour previously and was bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Thanks folks - I thought a broker was the way to go all right but just wanted to check on boards first in case there was a clear answer that I was totally missing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement