Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zipp Wheels - Compatability

Options
  • 07-07-2016 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I have a question - I bought a second hand pair of Zipp 606 wheels with a 10 speed Shimano cassette. "Happy days are here again..." I thought. However my bike runs on an 11 speed Ultegra groupset. I really want to use these wheels on my bike but it seems they are not compatible.

I would like to run an 11 speed hub on the Zipp wheels with my 11 speed groupset or is there another way to set this up. Suggestions very welcome! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I believe you might be bale to change it to a Campi hub and run 11 speed as Shimano and campi are compatible for 1 speed? I may be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

I got my Zipp 60's upgraded a few months ago from 10speed to 11speed freehub. Got it done in Humphries cycles in Finglas , cost about €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 garys27

right it's worth following that up with a few phonecalls to Dublin city bike shops. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

garys27 wrote: »
    right it's worth following that up with a few phonecalls to Dublin city bike shops. Thanks.
    Give Derek a call in Humphries - 8342170.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 garys27

success! Derek is pretty positive he may have a replacement in stock or may be able to order in a replacement hub. Thank you very much for this advice - music to my ears!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Derek's a good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

garys27 wrote: »
    success! Derek is pretty positive he may have a replacement in stock or may be able to order in a replacement hub. Thank you very much for this advice - music to my ears!!

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I got my Zipp 60's upgraded a few months ago from 10speed to 11speed freehub. Got it done in Humphries cycles in Finglas , cost about €100.

Are you sure ?. Zipp 60's were always 11speed compatible from the off, they were only introduced in 2013. You just need to remove a spacer if you were running 10 speed.

In answer to the o/p there have been a few changes to the zipp hubs over the years that the 606's could be from and you would need to identify the hub. help here
    http://www.zipp.com/support/identify/hub_cassette.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If your hub is older than a certain age (roughly 2012) then Zipp do not do an 11 speed replacement... most common alternatives:

1. Buy the campag freehub for that wheel.. put the campy 11 speed cassette on.. use with Shimano.. works fine (the campag freehubs all work with campy 11).

2. Mill 1 to 1.8 mm from the spline stops on the freehub body (I had this done on a Sub9 disc .. works very well).

3. Similar to number 2.. except this time you mill the 1 or 1.8mm from the back of the cassette itself (Shimano cassettes usually work with this).

4. Use an 11 speed cassette on your 10 speed freehub but remove a cog and use the limit screws to stop the final shift (gives you an empty click.. I don't like this, but works for some folks).

5. Remove your rear hub.. rebuild with a new 11 speed hub.

6. Buy an Edco 11 speed cassette for 10 speed freehubs

etc..

etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

clog wrote: »
    Are you sure ?. Zipp 60's were always 11speed compatible from the off, they were only introduced in 2013. You just need to remove a spacer if you were running 10 speed.

In answer to the o/p there have been a few changes to the zipp hubs over the years that the 606's could be from and you would need to identify the hub. help here
    http://www.zipp.com/support/identify/hub_cassette.php

Definite about this . Pretty experienced with freehubs , axles etc. The original freehub would not take an 11spd cassette and with the new freehub which is clearly marked 11spd job was sorted. I have put a spacer on the new 11spd freehub to use these on my 10 spd spare race bike.

I had also previously contacted Zipp customer support by email and they gave me info on the upgrade kit but in fairness Derek Humphries sorted it out very fast

• Advertisement
Advertisement