Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options
  • 07-07-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I'm sure these type of issues have been probably covered before - but so annoyed have to rant.
    Tesco do their own brand frozen chicken curry - bought it regularly over last 3 to 6 months at the advertised / shelf price of €1, never a yellow label or special offer just always a €1. Yesterday evening when to but same and now they are €2.50, how in the name of anything holy can they warrant or justify such an increase of 150%, are chickens becoming extinct or something ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Their shop. They can charge what they like. You don't have to buy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It was an introductory offer. They've put them all up to €2.50.
    Still £1 in UK though.

RipoffIreland forum is dat way -->

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

Fair enough, but an awful way to treat customers. At €2.50 its way over priced I wouldn't buy it in a fit. At a €1 or even €1.50 ish it would be ok ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Take advantage of brexit. Order a load of them from the UK.

snubbleste wrote: »
    It was an introductory offer. They've put them all up to €2.50.
    Still £1 in UK though.

it was never listed as an introductory offer thats my issue with it. they did the same a few years back with what were called ultimate chicken nuggets (could be wrong on name) they started at €1.59 and within twelve months were €3.99

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Take advantage of brexit. Order a load of them from the UK.

that will be their next excuse for ridiculous prices

HairMare wrote: »
    it was never listed as an introductory offer thats my issue with it. they did the same a few years back with what were called ultimate chicken nuggets (could be wrong on name) they started at €1.59 and within twelve months were €3.99
    It was a new product priced low for you to buy it. I highlighted in BA
    Maybe write to Tesco HQ and whinge

It was a new product priced low for you to buy it. I highlighted in BA
    Maybe write to Tesco HQ and whinge

all of that is fair enough, but its all done to mislead customers and its shocking
    I am going getting on to tesco because its beyond belief at this stage.
    It might sound so trivial to some

There is no misleading.
    Price has shot up massively, that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

all of that is fair enough, but its all done to mislead customers and its shocking
    I am going getting on to tesco because its beyond belief at this stage.
    It might sound so trivial to some

I don't think you can, in any sense of the word, accuse them of misleading customers.
    A price was set low on a new product and has now shot up. Big deal! As Tom Jones sang - it's not unusual.

Trivial? Certainly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

at €1 or £1 in UK, its a bargain. Not every introductory offer is actually marked as an introductory offer.

Compare it with similar in other stores and how does it compare?

Its actually made here in Ireland (IE factory stamp listed)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Fair enough, but an awful way to treat customers. At €2.50 its way over priced I wouldn't buy it in a fit. At a €1 or even €1.50 ish it would be ok ish.
    Hang around for 30/60 days until 2.50 is established as the RRP, and it will be "50% off" at €1.25

This is our fault as consumers - we are more attracted to a discount than a permanent good price. Tesco is just responding to it's incentives.

well they have lost me at this stage, i'm sure they will lie awake thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Buffman

Yep, and they even have their own thread there.
    Tesco outrageous price hikes
    well they have lost me at this stage, i'm sure they will lie awake thinking about it

Ha, ye, if you want an example of how worried Tesco are about losing customers check out the Tesco mobile forum regarding them cutting people off. This thread says it all.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

They're doing you a favour OP since their was no chicken in it to begin with.

Now you can go eat something recognisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well at least the word "overnight" was not used, I always cringe at that.
    Fair enough, but an awful way to treat customers.
    if you were in charge how would you have handled it. Incremental increases over several months?, which would have to start earlier to offset the losses. Would you have signs up notifying customers that the price will rise next week? or how much notice is reasonable. How many increments would you rise it in, 25 cent ones? which would mean doing out several more shelf pricing labels and associated min costs.

never a yellow label or special offer just always a €1.
    Some of the best value items in tesco are have no special offer sign. I see people blindly filling trolleys with supposed offers, they subsidise the genuine offers for me.

€1 was ridiculously cheap, and it was in bargain alerts.

I think your missing the issue, how can any store warrant something becoming 2.5 times initial selling price, its madness, pure madness would be paying the new price. At a euro it wasnt exceptionally cheap. It was a bog standard ready meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

People think €1 for a ready meal isn't cheap?!? Try make it for that price.

Its very easy when your a massive company with a manufactoring facility or subcontract same. Deals have chilled readymeal for 1.50, aldi likewise, im sure either are larger than tesco offering. Its the massive price hike that I have the issue with.

Tesco line is it was introduced at an incorrect price point, which has no being corrected in line with other similar variants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

At a euro it wasnt exceptionally cheap. It was a bog standard ready meal.
    Can you please share some ready meals you have found which were cheaper than 1 euro then, similar to this but obviously it should be cheaper. It has quite a low % of chicken in it at just 12%. You could share these in bargain alerts if you know of several.
    I think your missing the issue, how can any store warrant something becoming 2.5 times initial selling price.
    when the inital price is extremely low then 2.5 is not as impressive or outrageous sounding. Its common in threads like this, people shy away from the original price and use percentages. I remember one thread about tesco 5 pack of donuts going from 1 euro to 1.50, phrased as a "50% inrease, OVERNIGHT!!:eek::mad:"

I imagine if I went up to someone and said "do you know how much a frozen chicken curry is in tesco, 2.50" I doubt there would be any raised eyebrows at what you now consider "pure madness" to pay.

I was asking how you would have implemented it yourself, if you were working for tesco?
    Tesco line is it was introduced at an incorrect price point, which has no being corrected in line with other similar variants...
    It was and still is £1 in the UK.

The only "madness" in this is to presume all products are priced in line with each other and all working off similar margins. This product was very cheap for what it was, now it is possibly a little more than similar ones dunnes or supervalu might sell. I would not consider anybody "mad" for buying it at 2.50. Personally I would have checked the ingredients and copped on to the low chicken content. The packing makes it appear like a "regular" and not a "value" range product, and many fall for this. Again I like that people fall for this, it subsidises my cheap basket in tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Its very easy when your a massive company with a manufactoring facility or subcontract same. Deals have chilled readymeal for 1.50, aldi likewise, im sure either are larger than tesco offering. Its the massive price hike that I have the issue with.

Christ, you are having some fit over some crappy ready meal. Buy a cook book, cook it yourself. Problem solved.

Theres so many high horses here were only short of show jumping. Look Its a ridicuous price thats all, if a box of cereal or pack of loo roll by the same jump it would be the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres so many high horses here were only short of show jumping. Look Its a ridicuous price thats all, if a box of cereal or pack of loo roll by the same jump it would be the same issue.

Products go from promotional prices to non promotional in similar jumps all the time. Goodfellas frozen pizzas that are >€4 were a quid last week.

€1 is basically below cost selling; it was never a full time price.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It was a ridiculous price before, now it's just cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

Honestly, they're doing you a favour by dissuading you from eating that stuff. The cardboard packaging is probably more nutritious.

But to the issue at hand - even at €2.50, how many premade items can you find that constitute a "meal"? Assuming you're an adult and/or buy your own food, surely you're aware of how much everything costs? €1 is clearly below the going rate.

The issue is not the chicken curry, issue is tesco hiking up prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

30 posts later.....

It was a promotional offer, it was to get people to try it.

You don't seem to be able to get that, it's not a price hike. It was probably it's intended selling price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

The issue is not the chicken curry, issue is tesco hiking up prices.

Yeah I can see that - read the rest of my post.

I agree that a 150% increase in price is a hike, it's not like it originally sold for 3 quid and now you're paying 7.50.

It was €1 (which again to anyone that does their own shopping is obviously well below the going rate), now it's €2.50. If you eat these things, €2.50 is still dirt cheap for a meal.

• Advertisement

Then should state same thats all, arent loss leaders in breach of consumer law anyway ?

Advertisement