Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

LunarSea wrote: »
    Yeah I can see that - read the rest of my post.

I agree that a 150% increase in price is a hike, it's not like it originally sold for 3 quid and now you're paying 7.50.

It was €1 (which again to anyone that does their own shopping is obviously well below the going rate), now it's €2.50. If you eat these things, €2.50 is still dirt cheap for a meal.

I do my own shopping and do know the price of things, its an issue that bugs the crap out me with tesco. Constant hiking. 1.00 was only 50 cent max cheaper than similar elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

So if you do your own shopping then you know that €1 is below the going rate and it is now in line with similar products that Tesco sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HairMare wrote: »
    Then should state same thats all, arent loss leaders in breach of consumer law anyway ?

Not for many, many years. It was removed due to being anti-consumer

If you don't like shops "hiking up prices" in manners like this, you should campaign to get promotional offers banned. Don't expect to get much support.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

HairMare wrote:
    The issue is not the chicken curry, issue is tesco hiking up prices.

You are making a meal of this !!

LunarSea wrote: »
    So if you do your own shopping then you know that €1 is below the going rate and it is now in line with similar products that Tesco sell?

At 1 euro it was 33% less than comparable, where at 2.50 its 66% more expensive than comparable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Then should state same thats all, arent loss leaders in breach of consumer law anyway ?
    NO

I do my own shopping and do know the price of things,
    Then can you please give me an answer to my previous question, I am very interested to where to get these bargains you have apparently seen. Again
    rubadub wrote: »
    Can you please share some ready meals you have found which were cheaper than 1 euro then, similar to this but obviously it should be cheaper. It has quite a low % of chicken in it at just 12%..

I am also still curious to know how you would have preferred to have dealt with it if you were in charge.

Seems to me your real annoyance is you did not cop on what a bargain it was and did not fill your freezer.

At 1 euro it was 33% less than comparable, where at 2.50 its 66% more expensive than comparable

Good lord, then go and buy the cheaper ones so - you're splitting hairs over this.

I'm piss broke at the minute, and even I'm not that tight when buying food (then again, I don't subsist on the salt/sugar/calorie bombs that pass for food in those ready "meals")

rubadub wrote: »
    NO

Then can you please give me an answer to my previous question, I am very interested to where to get these bargains you have apparently seen. Again

I am also still curious to know how you would have preferred to have dealt with it if you were in charge.

Seems to me your real annoyance is you did not cop on what a bargain it was and did not fill your freezer.

Sorry will respond to your queries, with 24 hours as per tesco policy

Sorry will respond to your queries, with 24 hours as per tesco policy

What on earth is your issue here?

A promotional price product was increased to normal price. You have flown off the handle about it in a manner which no reasonable person ever would.

If you are THAT incensed about it either stop shopping at Tesco or look for promotions to be stopped so you never get so worked up again. Or learn how promotional pricing works and how to control your emotions.

L1011 wrote: »
    What on earth is your issue here?

A promotional price product was increased to normal price. You have flown off the handle about it in a manner which no reasonable person ever would.

If you are THAT incensed about it either stop shopping at Tesco or look for promotions to be stopped so you never get so worked up again. Or learn how promotional pricing works and how to control your emotions.

Seriously the 24 hr reponse time was pure tongue in check, on a cross country drive and loosing signal constantly so hard to reply in order. My emotions etc are well in check. Your looking for how I handle it as tesco, simple dont sell goods at a price thats not going to be consistent or at very least mark it as a promo or intro offer.
    In terms of other offers else where aldi are 1.49 if not less for frozen meals such as sweet and sour, possibly even as low as 1.29. Deals are 1.49/1.50 for chk curry and rice. Havent been in dunnes or super valu in ages so cant comment, so yes plenty of cheaper and cheaper alternatives. Im sure loads more out there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm sure these type of issues have been probably covered before - but so annoyed have to rant.
    Tesco do their own brand frozen chicken curry - bought it regularly over last 3 to 6 months at the advertised / shelf price of €1, never a yellow label or special offer just always a €1. Yesterday evening when to but same and now they are €2.50, how in the name of anything holy can they warrant or justify such an increase of 150%, are chickens becoming extinct or something ???

Do you really think a chicken curry that costs a euro is good thing to be eating ?

Ted1 not the point im making at all, the issue is the price hike not the product in question. To be honest a few have already questioned my meal choices but thanks for caring :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Ted1 not the point im making at all, the issue is the price hike not the product in question. To be honest a few have already questioned my meal choices but thanks for caring :-)

It's been explained to you multiple times that it was an introductory/promotional offer to get customers interested in the product before it was increased to its "correct" price. Tesco don't mark every single item on promotion, as previously said it'll probably come back down again as a half price offer sooner or later.

How is it a consumer issue?

How is it not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How is it a consumer issue?

I'd be concerned that what your getting doesn't classify as chicken

Seriously the 24 hr reponse time was pure tongue in check, on a cross country drive and loosing signal constantly so hard to reply in order. My emotions etc are well in check. Your looking for how I handle it as tesco, simple dont sell goods at a price thats not going to be consistent or at very least mark it as a promo or intro offer.
    In terms of other offers else where aldi are 1.49 if not less for frozen meals such as sweet and sour, possibly even as low as 1.29. Deals are 1.49/1.50 for chk curry and rice. Havent been in dunnes or super valu in ages so cant comment, so yes plenty of cheaper and cheaper alternatives. Im sure loads more out there...

In your OP you said your were buying them for 3 to 6 months at the price - that's pretty consistent in my book.

I'm astonished at your reaction to this. Massive supermarket had item cheaper than competitors, now it is more expensive.

I think you need to learn how to not sweat the small things.

Ted1, That doesnt bother me, its the amount of people that just accept the price hikes and practically defending tesco

Yes it was consistently 1.oo for that period of time, and now has been hiked, tesco calling it a pricing error which is laughable ... cant paste email from my phone.

Tesco customer care are in the UK and haven't got the slightest idea what is going on in Ireland. Ever. Not as bad as Aldi customer care thinking Scottish law applies everywhere but not far off.

People are not defending Tesco - just countering your ridiculous allegations. It could be any store you were making them against and they'd still be as ridiculous and unhinged.

This was clearly a below cost promo price which has been raised. Other 1.20 or similar prices are also below cost promos. This is 100% legal and a common tactic. It is done to thousands of products a year - you just haven't got so surreally attached to the price of one of them

Either wait til the price goes back down "on offer" or stop buying the product altogether, if you think the alternatives that are currently sub 2.50 are equivalents. You are getting ridiculously worked up and defensive over absolutely nothing beyond a lack of understanding of how supermarkets price things.

If you aren't convinced that its below cost - even if Tesco somehow claim the ready meal is 0% VAT rated; there is no way you can practically produce them even in extreme bulk for €1, or €1.20. If its 23% VAT rated (which is much more likely), cost comparisons go out the window and practicality of producing for that price becomes ever more impossible. You are going to be comparing the cost of 0% raw ingredients with a 23% product.

Tesco customer care are in the UK and haven't got the slightest idea what is going on in Ireland. Ever. Not as bad as Aldi customer care thinking Scottish law applies everywhere but not far off.

People are not defending Tesco - just countering your ridiculous allegations. It could be any store you were making them against and they'd still be as ridiculous and unhinged.

This was clearly a below cost promo price which has been raised. Other 1.20 or similar prices are also below cost promos. This is 100% legal and a common tactic. It is done to thousands of products a year - you just haven't got so surreally attached to the price of one of them

Either wait til the price goes back down "on offer" or stop buying the product altogether, if you think the alternatives that are currently sub 2.50 are equivalents. You are getting ridiculously worked up and defensive over absolutely nothing beyond a lack of understanding of how supermarkets price things.
    If you aren't convinced that its below cost - even if Tesco somehow claim the ready meal is 0% VAT rated; there is no way you can practically produce them even in extreme bulk for €1, or €1.20. If its 23% VAT rated (which is much more likely), cost comparisons go out the window and practicality of producing for that price becomes ever more impossible. You are going to be comparing the cost of 0% raw ingredients with a 23% product.

As you said, tactic. I just think its a shocking way to do business and were worse for taking it. But to finish it a product is on sale for 3 to 6 months at one price, then to change same is to hike it. I think the bigger point is lost on you

• Advertisement

As you said, tactic. I just think its a shocking way to do business and were worse for taking it. But to finish it a product is on sale for 3 to 6 months at one price, then to change same is to hike it. I think the bigger point is lost on you

There is no bigger point. I understand how retailers work -you don't. You have also got yourself worked up to an utterly ridiculous extent about it.

You need to calm down and take multiple steps back from this. And learn how to cook curries yourself and see the ingredient cost (at 0% VAT) required.

If you have that much of a problem with the price change shop elsewhere. You have already given other stores promotional price examples. Don't spend an entire night moaning about.

I suspect you posted this looking for the equivalent of Facebook likes - nodding agreement about it being a disgrace etc. You didn't quite expect to get disagreement and aren't happy.

There is no bigger point. I understand how retailers work -you don't. You have also got yourself worked up to an utterly ridiculous extent about it.

You need to calm down and take multiple steps back from this. And learn how to cook curries yourself and see the ingredient cost (at 0% VAT) required.

If you have that much of a problem with the price change shop elsewhere. You have already given other stores promotional price examples. Don't spend an entire night moaning about.

I suspect you posted this looking for the equivalent of Facebook likes - nodding agreement about it being a disgrace etc. You didn't quite expect to get disagreement and aren't happy.

No your taking off all on a tangent of your own. I saw it as a shocking price hike, simple as and something tesco in particular constantly do. I understand how retailers work, for the upteenth time the curry wasnt the issue but the policy of pricehikes. The other stores prices remain the same...

No your taking off all on a tangent of your own. I saw it as a shocking price hike, simple as and something tesco in particular constantly do. I understand how retailers work, for the upteenth time the curry wasnt the issue but the policy of pricehikes. The other stores prices remain the same...

Its a below cost promotional price ending, not a "disgraceful price hike". You still don't seem to understand that; and you have invested an awful lot of energy in to arguing about it.

If you don't want to pay 2.50 for a 12% (likely Thai or Brazilian at best) chicken curry go buy one of the others that haven't gone up yet. End of problem.

Its a below cost promotional price ending, not a "disgraceful price hike". You still don't seem to understand that; and you have invested an awful lot of energy in to arguing about it.

If you don't want to pay 2.50 for a 12% (likely Thai or Brazilian at best) chicken curry go buy one of the others that haven't gone up yet. End of problem.

Look we'll agree to differ, u can defend tesco and ill point other stores dont use those tactics as much,& ill bet u in 3, 6 or 12 months time the competitors still wont have hiked price

Look we'll agree to differ, u can defend tesco and ill point other stores dont use those tactics as much,& ill bet u in 3, 6 or 12 months time the competitors still wont have hiked price

I'm not defending Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Would you have bought it if it was priced 2.50 from day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Perhaps if we stop responding to this ridiculous mess it might die a death it should have after the first post.

It's not a consumer issue in my eyes, it's a price increase on a product which was selling below cost price as am intro offer and has now been adjusted.

Op clearly doesn't want to know and has decided they're correct.

It's been explained at least 5 times now and I don't think it's been accepted at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

snubbleste wrote: »
    It was a new product priced low for you to buy it. Maybe write to Tesco HQ and whinge

Having worked in Tesco, yep, they do do this. Have a new product priced low, hook people then hope they don't notice when the price is raised! Not sure there's much that can be done about that really. They can set whatever prices they want, people don't have to pay what they ask. Everyone should be vigilant of pricing when in supermarkets, it's everyone's own responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

ThisRegard wrote: »
    People think €1 for a ready meal isn't cheap?!? Try make it for that price.

I shudder to think how the chickens that went into making that €1 ready meal were treated. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Theres so many high horses here were only short of show jumping. Look Its a ridicuous price thats all, if a box of cereal or pack of loo roll by the same jump it would be the same issue.

I think it's you who has the high horse.

You keep talking about it going up to 2.5 times the price but it's only €2.50. Cereals would need to increase to over €10 a box to be comparable.

How can you expect to get any kind of ready meal for €1? If you think €2.50 so ridiculously expensive, then simply shop elsewhere. This is not a consumer issue. It's not a cause for complaint. It's not abusing the customer. It's a non issue.

Advertisement