Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog has cut on pad of paw

• 07-07-2016 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Noticed my dog limping yesterday morning, examined his paw and he seems to have a cut across one of his pads on his back left leg, the cut isnt too deep and he was still full of energy running around so wasnt overly concerned about it but he is still limping today and the cut hasnt healed at all. Im worried it might get infected.. should I just bring him to the vets or is there any kind of bandage or antibacterial spray for dogs i could use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

A cut under the foot is very sore and it won't heal quickly as doggie is constantly using it. If he's a breed that does not need much exercise, limit walks to lead only and short ones. When coming home, clean paw, cover with manuka honey and a sock (sock so he doesn't lick it off).If he's a breed needing lots of running and exercise, I'd go for antibiotics as it is pretty much impossible to keep it clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

allybhoy wrote: »
    Noticed my dog limping yesterday morning, examined his paw and he seems to have a cut across one of his pads on his back left leg, the cut isnt too deep and he was still full of energy running around so wasnt overly concerned about it but he is still limping today and the cut hasnt healed at all. Im worried it might get infected.. should I just bring him to the vets or is there any kind of bandage or antibacterial spray for dogs i could use?

One of my little guys had the same about a year ago. Took her to the vet who did a little procedure. She had to go under anesthetic and wear the cone of shame for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Thanks guys, i think a trip to the vets is the best option, id be worried sick otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My guy cut 2 of his paws a few years ago.. here's what i did, clean the out really well with cooled boiled water, rubbed plenty of 100% aloe vera gel on his pads (great for healing and safe to eat) - wrapped his paws up in bandages and put socks on him to try and stop him for touching them - didnt exercise him , cleaned them each day etc and after 3/4 days he was perfect

ye that will work..but if yer dealing with ahusky or something like that breed, not exercising 5 days would probably cost you your furniture...just sayin'. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My lab has cut her paw and also skinned it badly a few times, Ive used salt water to keep it clean and Sudocreme and a loose sock to cover it, with a few little holes cut out of the sock to allow air to circulate.
    Works great but it can take a little while to heal fully.
    Limit exercise to help healing.

Theres also an antiseptic powder called Rowarolan thats safe for dogs, and Savlon Dry Antiseptic Providone Iodine spray is safe to use on dogs too.

Unless the cut needs stitching theres not a lot a vet can do to be honest , except instruct you to keep it clean and avoid infection as it heals.

Just to add I wouldn't be a fan of using preventative antibiotics. If its kept clean it really shouldn't get infected.

Thanks all, just a quick question, how do you stop your dogs from taking the sock off, im fairly sure our fella will just bite through it 5 minutes after its on.

So i put on bandages too so a double protection... then id give him like a bone or a chewy thing, and keep him with me for an hour or so and let him chew away, so he would forget about the socks.. and get used to them etc... then each time he went to look at them i said NO after 3 or 4 times he trusted me and left them alone!

Plus even if he does get it off the aloe vera is safe for them etc.

vet wrap..:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Ive used vet wrap to keep the sock on but just be careful not to put it on too tight.

I wouldn't put vet wrap over the whole foot because its important to let fresh air circulate to aid healing. A loose sock with holes is better for that.

Ive also just tied the sock with a bit of material cut from another sock.

Whatever you use it will fall off and you'll have to re fix it quite often!

You can tie a plastic sandwich bag over the foot part for when he goes outside if its wet. Good luck, its a full time job for a few days!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

vet wrap..:-)

You can get anti-chew vet wrap... It tastes rank. Whilst taste aversion certainly doesn't work for all dogs, it might do the trick for you op... I would use vet wrap to attach the sock to his leg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

maggiepip wrote: »
    Ive used vet wrap to keep the sock on but just be careful not to put it on too tight.

OP - make sure you are aware of this if you use vetwrap.

I love Vetwrap (if you don't know it, it's a stretchy, self-adhesive bandage - horsey folk tend to have them stuffed away in tack boxes/ cupboards etc) but you have to be really careful with it. Because it stretches so much it can compress when on and cause damage through localised constriction. Stick some padding under the bandage - that should defuse some uneveness in pressure from your bandaging job. When you're applying, stretch, release and wrap. And when you're done, make sure you can (just) fit a finger under the bandage. If you're in doubt at all, I'd err on the side of caution. :)

Hi All,

Quick update, brought him the vets after work, Vet had a look gave him antibiotics and booked him in for this morning, not sure what exactly is to be done but he said he would be sedating him and "attending to the cut" I presume they will be either glueing or stitching the injury and bandaging him up.

The poor dog was extremely agitated whilst the vet was examining him, Even though he's a small dog it took me, a nurse and the vet to hold him still whilst the vet was trying to inspect the injury and we barely managed so id say that was part of the reason for having him go under anesthetic today.

allybhoy wrote: »
    Hi All,

Quick update, brought him the vets after work, Vet had a look gave him antibiotics and booked him in for this morning, not sure what exactly is to be done but he said he would be sedating him and "attending to the cut" I presume they will be either glueing or stitching the injury and bandaging him up.

The poor dog was extremely agitated whilst the vet was examining him, Even though he's a small dog it took me, a nurse and the vet to hold him still whilst the vet was trying to inspect the injury and we barely managed so id say that was part of the reason for having him go under anesthetic today.

My guy is the same he is only a cocker but has the strength of an elephant when it comes to the vet - he isn't aggressive or anything juts get VERY scared and distressed.. he too has to be sedated for anything other than basic vaccinations... fingers crossed he will be ok - lots of TLC when he gets home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

cocker5 wrote: »
    My guy is the same he is only a cocker but has the strength of an elephant when it comes to the vet - he isn't aggressive or anything juts get VERY scared and distressed.. he too has to be sedated for anything other than basic vaccinations... fingers crossed he will be ok - lots of TLC when he gets home

This!! :o
    and then when its all over, its happy tails and lots of chat with the vet??!

Advertisement