Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

level 6 automation and instrumentation (online)

Options
  • 07-07-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Recently started looking at moving careers, want to try and get into fitting and plant maintenance in something like medical or food manufacturing.
    Was having a look at doing an online course and saw this, has anyone completed this course? Is it any good?
    I understand its meant as a qualifier for the level 7 mechatronics course, but does it have any merit on its own?. I've a level 6 trade in hgv mechanics so I have a good knowledge of hydraulic, pneumatics, electronics etc., just no experience in programming, automation etc.
    Any advice or pointers welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

As someone who did (online) that course and L7 mechatronics, I'd stay well clear of IT sligo for the following reasons
    1) You'll be treated as a second class citizen for the duration of the course, i.e full time students get all the focus while the online folks can wait patiently for a reply to a email about something or other...... but they are not slow in chasing you for money
    2) you will need to travel to the college for "lab days" which is 2 by 2 hour sessions on two of the subjects. what can you learn in two hours??? most guys spent more time travelling to the lab day than time spent in the lab
    3)The online lectures should be 1 hour in duration, I've seen online lectures that were only 20 mins long, while most were about 40 mins long.
    4) On some lectures the "sound quality" could be so bad the lecture was abandoned after 5 mins and not rescheduled
    5) One lecturer didn't even turn up for the online lecture and no email to say they would not be giving a lecture that evening.
    6)poor standard of online presentation, e.g using a mouse to type words or calculations on the screen.
    7) Lecturers do not allow for online students who may not have been in education for years, Try doing a higher level maths on what you did 10-15 years ago in college or leaving cert.
    8)They recommend a list of books for the course, save your money, not once did any lecturer refer to the books.
    Anyway I got my piece of paper to say I went though 3 yrs of almost hell. Not an experience I'd like to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

strandsman wrote: »
    As someone who did (online) that course and L7 mechatronics, I'd stay well clear of IT sligo for the following reasons
    1) You'll be treated as a second class citizen for the duration of the course, i.e full time students get all the focus while the online folks can wait patiently for a reply to a email about something or other...... but they are not slow in chasing you for money
    2) you will need to travel to the college for "lab days" which is 2 by 2 hour sessions on two of the subjects. what can you learn in two hours??? most guys spent more time travelling to the lab day than time spent in the lab
    3)The online lectures should be 1 hour in duration, I've seen online lectures that were only 20 mins long, while most were about 40 mins long.
    4) On some lectures the "sound quality" could be so bad the lecture was abandoned after 5 mins and not rescheduled
    5) One lecturer didn't even turn up for the online lecture and no email to say they would not be giving a lecture that evening.
    6)poor standard of online presentation, e.g using a mouse to type words or calculations on the screen.
    7) Lecturers do not allow for online students who may not have been in education for years, Try doing a higher level maths on what you did 10-15 years ago in college or leaving cert.
    8)They recommend a list of books for the course, save your money, not once did any lecturer refer to the books.
    Anyway I got my piece of paper to say I went though 3 yrs of almost hell. Not an experience I'd like to repeat.

Thanks for the reply, did it lead to you getting into that line of work and was it of any benefit to you?
    I was kind of hopin that the sligo one so much better than the tralee one, considering its nearly twice the price.
    I done an online course there lately and I agree 100 per cent about being treated like a second class citizen, the colleges dont give a toss, just mad for the money.
    Thanks again for the reply.

I was in this line of work anyway, Sligo had a good reputation but it dropped the ball over the last number of years, It just feels like the online students pay the bills for everyone else and "you should be lucky we are teaching you" attitude towards us. Blanchards town is a place I hear mentioned so maybe have a look at that option.

I was in this line of work anyway, Sligo had a good reputation but it dropped the ball over the last number of years, It just feels like the online students pay the bills for everyone else and "you should be lucky we are teaching you" attitude towards us. Blanchards town is a place I hear mentioned so maybe have a look at that option.
    Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.
    Any tips on tryin to break into the manufacturing maintenance line of work from what I am at now? From what I've been told from others in the industry its tryin to get the foot in the door doin any sort of job at the start that's the hardest part, don't know how true that is though
    Thanks

Ya it's tough to get into without some previous knowledge, You have to understand that some equipment could be 1 million euro plus and they would be careful about who they would let work at it etc. What your backround?

• Advertisement

Ya it's tough to get into without some previous knowledge, You have to understand that some equipment could be 1 million euro plus and they would be careful about who they would let work at it etc. What your backround?

Hgv and plant mechanic, so obviously don't have particular experience with those machines, buts have a good knowledge base of hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, diagnostics, calibrations, transmission systems etc.
    Even applied for a couple of apprenticeships at a mnc, didn't even get a reply. Not really sure though do I want to start back on an apprentices wages at this stage though. Know of a few people who got started in these type of places working on the production line and getting into the maintenance side of things from there.
    Do you know of anyone that has done the course in tralee?
    Thanks

Most employers in my field would look for someone with electronics,pneumatics, mechanical, software etc, so i think you are along way there, If you could get into a factory as an operator on machines etc and by demonstrating your ability then you can move up the ladder. Medical is tough to get into at the start so maybe try other industries first. I don't know of anyone who went to Tralee. If you got into the right company they will sponsor a course for you.

Advertisement