Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin Baby Plot Question.

Options
  • 07-07-2016 12:11pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this but it seemed the most appropriate forum.

My mum had a stillborn baby back in the early 80's and was told he'd be buried in Glasnevin. She went once when we were small to see if she could find where he was but the place was so big and we never found it.

I know the plot was done up a while back and it's supposed to be easier to find the graves now but I was just wondering if there's a specific way to go about it? Is there a place you can go and be told specifically where your baby is buried or is there a list of names engraved somewhere? Do they actually have a complete list of every baby every buried there?

She's been talking about the baby a bit lately and I'd like to take her out to "see him" but I'd like to know in advance exactly where to take her.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

There is a register of babies which is not available to the public but is available for relatives. Call the cemetery or call in to the museum reception and they will search it for you and give you the grave details. Then call the main cemetery line and you can make an appointment to be shown the location of the grave. This would probably be the New Angels Plot. This won't cost anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Your poor mam. I can't advise on this but just wanted to wish you and your mother the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Had you any luck since? I hope so and hope that your mam found some peace of mind if she got to visit her baby's grave. It's hugely important to have a resting place for our angels - just to see that they are acknowledged in their place of rest. If she is agreeable you could arrange contact with A Little Lifetime Association who are a great support to bereaved parents and families, both recently bereaved and those bereaved years ago. Take care.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ghekko wrote: »
    Had you any luck since? I hope so and hope that your mam found some peace of mind if she got to visit her baby's grave. It's hugely important to have a resting place for our angels - just to see that they are acknowledged in their place of rest. If she is agreeable you could arrange contact with A Little Lifetime Association who are a great support to bereaved parents and families, both recently bereaved and those bereaved years ago. Take care.

Yes, we found it. I did as the poster above suggested and got it all sorted. Bit of a strange experience, so long after the fact, but worthwhile, I think. Thanks again for all the replies.

Advertisement