Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile recording setup for interviews?

• 07-07-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on a recording setup for podcast interviews when out and about.

These could be taking place in noisy locations like hotel lobbies or cafes, or echoey meeting rooms, etc.

Must be fairly easy to use.

Podcast quality - doesn't need to be broadcast quality, but as good as possible within reason.

I've been looking at external mics to plug into smartphone or laptop, as well as things like the Edirol and Zoom H1. Not sure what the sound pickup will be like on these.

I had a massive improvement in recording quality in the office when I switched from condenser mic (AT2020) to a cheaper dynamic range mic (ATR2100), are there such things as portable recorders with dynamic range pickup?

Relatively low budget, under €200, ideally under €100 if possible.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 TwoLeftFeet

If you can stretch your budget to get these I would highly recommend the following:

Olympus-LS-12-2GB-Linear-Recorder

And a few cheap tie clip microphones. I got a few in believe it or not, Eurogiant recently. You'll need two, one for yourself and one for the person you are interviewing. To use two microphones at the same time you will need a Y connector as the audio recorder only has one mic input socket. Or you could just use the mic's on the recorder itself. A windshield large enough to cover both mic's on the recorder would be a useful addition aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you can stretch your budget to get these I would highly recommend the following:

Olympus-LS-12-2GB-Linear-Recorder

And a few cheap tie clip microphones. I got a few in believe it or not, Eurogiant recently. You'll need two, one for yourself and one for the person you are interviewing. To use two microphones at the same time you will need a Y connector as the audio recorder only has one mic input socket. Or you could just use the mic's on the recorder itself. A windshield large enough to cover both mic's on the recorder would be a useful addition aswell.

TFL, thanks for your reply. Can you recommend any specific tie clip mics? I bought a cheap Speedlink SPES and got a lot of hiss on the background (looks like it's hit and miss - saw some good reviews on YouTube).

Do you know if the Zoom H1 compares with that Olympus recorder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 The Codemaster

I got a Boya Omnidirectional Lavalier 1/4" adapter 3.5mm Condenser Microphone on Amazon UK.

Can't post link as I'm a new user, but works perfectly with my Galaxy S7 when recording video. Great reviews on Amazon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I got a Boya Omnidirectional Lavalier 1/4" adapter 3.5mm Condenser Microphone on Amazon UK.

Can't post link as I'm a new user, but works perfectly with my Galaxy S7 when recording video. Great reviews on Amazon too.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting a RØDE SmartLav+ which is iPhone compatible - sounds great actually - and a RØDE SC3 Adapter jack (TRRS to TRS - aka iPhone to everything else) and a 2 metre StarTech extension cable.

The SmartLav sounds awesome when recording off the iPhone, but picks up a load of noise (like the gain is super high) when recording off PC.

I should probably get a TRS to TRRS adapter too - my guess is the Speedlink SPES lav mic I have is better than I think, it's just not great when recording directly to PC because of gain settings.

Advertisement