Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDH Osteotomy

Options
  • 07-07-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    MY Daughter (5) has DDH and finally has an appointment for her osteotomy in August, we've been waiting literally years!
    Just wondering if theres anyone out there whos had this done and can share their experience? When the nurse rang she caught me so off guard I didnt ask one question!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Check out this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67767648

My daughter, age 4 had an osteotomy 12 months ago and we go the news 2 weeks ago that she has 'perfect hips' now and we were discharged! Couldn't believe it as we were expecting that she would at least have to be monitored for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Vel wrote: »
    Check out this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67767648

My daughter, age 4 had an osteotomy 12 months ago and we go the news 2 weeks ago that she has 'perfect hips' now and we were discharged! Couldn't believe it as we were expecting that she would at least have to be monitored for another few years.

Wow, that seems unreal to me also! I thought they monitored them for a few years as well. Where did she get them done?

Great news though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Mr. Moore in Crumlin did her hip. He said he could continue to see her but there would be no point as he is confident that the hip will continue to stay stable, that there is no difference now between her good hip and the bad one and that she has no increased risk of getting arthritis in the bad one. I still can't quite believe it but I do trust him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

My child just had a salters osteotomy on both hips this week. We were dreading it but it has been ok...... Pain was pretty awful day 1 but she was on morphine and this helped. She's 3yo and has coped so well. She was in hospital for2 nights. She is a bit frustrated and wants to be running round with older siblings but all things considered we are relieved.
    The hardest part is carrying her round everywhere as I have younger baby and brining her to toilet. Keep up pain relief and loads of books, art, jigsaws and Tv to keep entertained. Kids are so resilient.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

Best of luck! Great to finally have a date for your daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Wednesday7

I also have a 5 year old daughter with DDH. She had a pelvic osteotomy in June. She was diagnosed this year after a teacher noticed she was a little different from the rest of her class. She is 10 weeks in a Spica cast and will have another cast change in October. It has been a major disruption in our family, we knew nothing about it before this and unfortunately our daughter has been unable to return to school. I would love to hear from somebody with a school going child in a similar position.

Advertisement