Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New homeowner query

Options
  • 07-07-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Figured here would be a good place to start as Eir-nee-Eircom are the ones ultimately responsible with the phone lines. So hopefully this means I'm right coming here first.

I have recently bought a house (second-hand). The house has been empty for some time, at least six months. I'm in the process of researching phone|broadband options. U der a lot of these they look for a 'UAN number' to facilitate this.

There is no evidence left, such as a last bill to get this info from. Don't believe the seller has it either because of the long selling period and it was previously rented. This is why I come to yourselves first as I am unsure if there was any previous provider in place.

If I was as to provide details via PM - would it be possible to find out this number? Or ay least the how-to go about it. It will be a few weeks at least before I end up deciding on a provider but I want to sort out the number now so I'm not left in the lurch when the time comes.

Regards,

racersedge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

racersedge wrote: »
    Hi there,

Figured here would be a good place to start as Eir-nee-Eircom are the ones ultimately responsible with the phone lines.   So hopefully this means I'm right coming here first.

I have recently bought a house (second-hand). The house has been empty for some time, at least six months. I'm in the process of researching phone|broadband options. U der a lot of these they look for a 'UAN number' to facilitate this.

There is no evidence left, such as a last bill to get this info from. Don't believe the seller has it either because of the long selling period and it was previously rented. This is why I come to yourselves first as I am unsure if there was any previous provider in place.

If I was as to provide details via PM - would it be possible to find out this number? Or ay least the how-to go about it. It will be a few weeks at least before I end up deciding on a provider but I want to sort out the number now so I'm not left in the lurch when the time comes.

Regards,

racersedge
    Hi Racersedge,

Thank you for getting in touch :) 

I am very sorry to hear you are unable to locate the UAN number. As you are the new owner of this house you will need to send proof of ownership to proofofaddress@eir.ie and they will close this account down. Once the account is closed down you will be able to set up a new account without having to provide any UAN numbers.

Unfortunately this will be the only way you would be able to set up a new account as you are not the account holder so we would be unable to provide any information to you. 

I hope this helps you with your query :)

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Thanks for that Ciara,

What constitutes proof of ownership. For example, would a letter from the solicitor and/or estate agent that handled the deal be enough? Or is something more that is required. If you can be specific, then I can try to sort something out sooner rather than later.

Regards,

racersedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Thanks for that Ciara,

What constitutes proof of ownership. For example, would a letter from the solicitor and/or estate agent that handled the deal be enough? Or is something more that is required. If you can be specific, then I can try to sort something out sooner rather than later.

Regards,

racersedge.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]To verify proof of ownership [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]racersedge [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]we would need a copy of the tenancy agreement or a copy of the deeds of the home.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

You do realise that it takes many months to produce deeds for a house? My solicitor quoted me at least a few months before thy are available. So I have to do without potential service for that kind of length? Well I guess I may assess different options in the face of that....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You do realise that it takes many months to produce deeds for a house? My solicitor quoted me at least a few months before thy are available. So I have to do without potential service for that kind of length? Well I guess I may assess different options in the face of that....

If there's a current service engaged at the property no fixed line operator can help you until the previous one has been taken down. That's the wholesale procedure. That leaves you only with midband options unless you happen to be in a virgin area.

• Advertisement

Frustrating as it is, I understand your point there. The limited scope for showing proof really ties the hands. I'll try engaging with the estate agent to see jf the previous owner has any access to said account number (although I'm guessing given the eir response above, I'm still likely needed to provide some element of proof.) Also will get back in contact with the solicitor who handled my sale to see if there is any kind of way to hurry up the deeds, or even to get a copy of whatever page has my name on it. It's not a game changer , but I would rather not go several months without proper phone/broadband/etc if I can help it!

A few options at least. Might also need to investigate whether the line into the house is actually active. Only thinking about that now. I wonder whether member from Eir or a technical minded boardsie knows how to do such.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Hi.
    If you have a phone, plug it into the socket and see if you have a dial tone.
    If you dial 199000 it will give you the last active number on that line.

Frustrating as it is, I understand your point there. The limited scope for showing proof really ties the hands. I'll try engaging with the estate agent to see jf the previous owner has any access to said account number (although I'm guessing given the eir response above, I'm still likely needed to provide some element of proof.) Also will get back in contact with the solicitor who handled my sale to see if there is any kind of way to hurry up the deeds, or even to get a copy of whatever page has my name on it. It's not a game changer , but I would rather not go several months without proper phone/broadband/etc if I can help it!

A few options at least. Might also need to investigate whether the line into the house is actually active. Only thinking about that now. I wonder whether member from Eir or a technical minded boardsie knows how to do such.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I can understand your frustration however for legal purposes we would need written proof of ownership to cancel the line [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]racersedge[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Most customers will request to cancel the line before they leave so the line could be vacant. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]To check the number allocated to the line you can plug a phone into the socket and dial 199000. Feel free to PM me this number and I can check if your line is vacant. :D [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

Pm Sent. Thank you for your assistance in this matter, Pamela.

Pm Sent. Thank you for your assistance in this matter, Pamela.
    No problem  racersedge :)
    I'll be beack to you shortly.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
Advertisement