Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a bracket for a shared concrete I post with wood lap panels

• 07-07-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭

Requirements.
    No mechanical fixings to either the post or the wood lap fencing.
    See dimensioned sketch attached.
    Post dimensions on top
    rough idea of what is required below.
    Requirement is to fix 6" brackets to the posts to support some horizontal wires
    Twenty required so need to optimise the design:D
    Temporary

The angle bracket will need to be thin, will use old radiator hanging brackets.

Just wonder will the screws give enough pressure.
    Will need to be assembled on site, at least one half
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That should work, you could put strips of expanding metal between the post and the wood for more grip if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

That should work, you could put strips of expanding metal between the post and the wood for more grip if needed

Thanks, had another idea last night where if I make the wings longer, I can use the screwed pice as a sort of hinge by expanding the top of the wings, sort of like expanding the top of a clothes peg to increase pressure on the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A thin wooden wedge tapped in at the front could be a help , if you used a 50 mm piece of wood at the front and put a slight taper on the ends it would put pressure on the post when tightened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Did you get it sorted after
    The only " improvement" if you'd call it that ,is I'd use 4x1 treated timber ,ply wouldn't last a week outside. Unless you have the good sthuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Did you get it sorted after
    The only " improvement" if you'd call it that ,is I'd use 4x1 treated timber ,ply wouldn't last a week outside. Unless you have the good sthuff.

Not yet thanks, the issue is cat access to a garden so I started with just clipping green screening mesh loosely along the woodlaps so they no longer run up or down the wood lap, the idea with the brackets was to create a 6" barrier of clothes line that would stop them.
    They ran up the mesh once and it didn't hold so not again.
    My next idea is to use 8" wide galvanised electrical tray which has a lug that will slide in bend the concert post, you idea of treated timber would work with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement