Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

congestion at night

• 07-07-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

for the last 4 weeks out 7 month old has been waking almost every hour at night with bad congestion. He is fine during the day and pediatrician said he wasnt chesty even though the GP gave him an antibiotic but its still going on.

we have tried nasal drops and the sucky thing but nothing comes out - we have had him sleep in different rooms so its not dust mites in one room etc

Is this teething ? or just another thing he has to get through

If any one has seen this issue before and could give an indication of how long it took to go away then that would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How are his eyes?

My 2 year old, for the last couple of months has had an almost constant runny nose. Coughs a lot at night. I've been told by several medical people she has hayfever, because her eyes are a bit watery, but not actually infected. It's always worse at night - the mucus runs down into the chest when they lie down. At the moment she's particularly bad, it's just come on again this weekend. My 13 week old is a bit snuffly all of a sudden too.
    Would that be it?

If it helps at all, my 8 week old had a fairly congested cough for a good 4 weeks recently. I resorted to steaming in the bathroom twice a day, but what really seemed to help shift it was a plug in vaporiser thing from Calpol. It realises a mild herbal scent to help them breathe at night, that really helped us. Bit like Olbas oil only suitable for little people and not as strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

My son (nine months) has had the same issue. We bought a humidifer, got a baby inhaler from the doc, washed all his towels/bed linen etc and in the end went to another doctor who said it's just worse at night because he lies flat. I try to make him sleep on his side as his nose is also congested and it makes it seemingly easier for him to sleep like this. After four weeks he is finally improving now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

We had a cough for months which was just described as viral and nothing we could do. So we propped the cot up a bit, used the calpol plug in for the room and snuffle rub on his feet. You just have to ride it out. They also said It was nasal drip issue too. We would bath him before bed and the steam would also help clear his nose be fore bedtime. Hope this helps. You'll come through it.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

We had similar. I used to burn a candle in the room on an oil burner with olbas oil in some water for about an hour before bed then I tied a Muslin cloth to the outside of the cot and dropped olbas oil on it and that helped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We found a humidifer very useful as an aid to sleep, rest and recovery. Useful even for older kids. Even adults at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement