Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick on Shannon

Options
  • 07-07-2016 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Considering purchasing a property in Carrick on Shannon....Ive heard some not so savoury reviews on a few estates there but that was a few years ago and was wondering if anyone could give me some more up to date info....Oaklands Estate...advised before to avoid....looking also at Glenpatrick where property is a lot more expensive...but it looks maybe like a better buy....can anyone advise please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TENHNY

Considering purchasing a property in Carrick on Shannon....Ive heard some not so savoury reviews on a few estates there but that was a few years ago and was wondering if anyone could give me some more up to date info....Oaklands Estate...advised before to avoid....looking also at Glenpatrick where property is a lot more expensive...but it looks maybe like a better buy....can anyone advise please?

Not from carrick but a friend rents there in Oakland and when I visit it's seems to deterated each time, what ur budget ? them house seem to have a large variety of ethnic groups living there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

Thanks for the reply....I haven't ever visited Oaklands but it looks a bit scruffy and I have come across some bad reviews of it....I was hoping that it had improved! The Glenpatrick area looks a whole lot better and I may opt for that instead.....going to view some houses on Tuesday. thanks again...

Thanks for the reply....I haven't ever visited Oaklands but it looks a bit scruffy and I have come across some bad reviews of it....I was hoping that it had improved! The Glenpatrick area looks a whole lot better and I may opt for that instead.....going to view some houses on Tuesday. thanks again...

Drive into oaklands see what you feel for the place, best of luck with the search I am searching myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Don't know much about Carrick, other than I've been out there for drinks wtih a friend who is from outside the town. One major thing that stands out to me is that some of the estates have suffered with flooding in the past - this is the first thing I'd look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sunshine83

Not from carrick myself either. However I did consider buying a house there last year. Have you looked at any houses in Glas na hAbhainn, they are on the tesco side of town? I thought they were a bit expensive when I was looking last year. The builder was finishing the estate at the time and was planning to relaunch them. They were beautiful houses though you should take a look. Not sure what price they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 problemnext

Wouldn't live in oaklands if you payed me. Stay away at all costs.

Well....went down and checked out a few places in Carrick within my price range....Ive got a few friends who have bought there in the last year....they bought extremely cheap in an area that I had reservations about as I had heard bad reports on them.....their house is beautiful...some neighbours may be considered (undesirable..)...but really not causing any trouble...quite a few of the houses are really run down looking.....went into Oaklands and again a mix of houses that look badly kept and run down, and then quite a few houses with absolutely beautifully tended gardens etc., which obviously reflect the people themselves...the houses in Oaklands are the houses that I liked best of all that I saw...really nice layout, just what I'm looking for. There is a Residents Association in the estate where my friends have bought which are very good and on the ball and working to make the area improve...next time I go down I'm going to check out Oaklands again and see if I can make contact with people who are living there and see if theres a Residents Association to see if I can get more up to date accurate information.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 problemnext

I'd be very surprised if there was a residents Association in Oaklands, unless its a front for something else ;) . Bought a sofa there a few years ago off a lad who was selling his house. The houses are grand but jeremy kyle could get about 2 years of shows from featuring the ''people'' living there.

I'd be very surprised if there was a residents Association in Oaklands, unless its a front for something else ;) . Bought a sofa there a few years ago off a lad who was selling his house. The houses are grand but jeremy kyle could get about 2 years of shows from featuring the ''people'' living there.

Ah every one to there own, my mate has rented here for years,

ya sure there a mix of people but she never had any hassle and only for landlord selling she be there for a few more years.

Just because its not your choice, doesn't mean its not the right choice

Have you had any luck househunting in Carrick?

• Advertisement

Sunshine83 wrote: »
    Not from carrick myself either. However I did consider buying a house there last year. Have you looked at any houses in Glas na hAbhainn, they are on the tesco side of town? I thought they were a bit expensive when I was looking last year. The builder was finishing the estate at the time and was planning to relaunch them. They were beautiful houses though you should take a look. Not sure what price they are now.

Theres one for sale now in Glas Na Habhainn and I'm thinking of going to check it out.....asking price of €220k but open to offers....on the map it looks quite close to the river....do you know if this was ever affected by the flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nadroir

Hi

so so so weird at this but hopin to ake contact with friends of 40 years ago if still alive

flynns of Carrick on Shannon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement