Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 10 Public Beta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

The Ulster Bank app now works ok in public beta 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I keep getting errors when trying to install it. I haven't made a huge effort to solve it but it seems to be an issue with OTA updates with some people, plugging it into the mac solves it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

Compulsive upgrader that I am, installed it yesterday. Running fine. Noticed a few tweaks to the widgets.

I must admit I'm starting to really like IOS 10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What's battery life like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

What's battery life like?

I'm still getting a "normal" (listening to music/radio, Facebook/twitter.. blah blah) day out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Is Public Beta 2 the same as Dev beta 3? I read great things about Dev Beta 3 online, and it seems much more stable as a daily driver, so I'd give PB2 a go if it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Is Public Beta 2 the same as Dev beta 3? I read great things about Dev Beta 3 online, and it seems much more stable as a daily driver, so I'd give PB2 a go if it's the same.

Yep, same build numbers.

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, same build numbers.

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, same build numbers.

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a go so.
    How would a lad go about getting this??

Mr Velo wrote: »

All details and instructions here: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Basically, you have to backup your current phone set-up, download a beta tester profile to your phone, then update the software in the same way as you would with an over the air update. It's a big download, so allow time. I did mine over a good (20-30mbs) internet connection, and the whole process from backing up to having iOS10 running took about 45minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Just sign up here https://beta.apple.com

All details and instructions here: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Basically, you have to backup your current phone set-up, download a beta tester profile to your phone, then update the software in the same way as you would with an over the air update. It's a big download, so allow time. I did mine over a good (20-30mbs) internet connection, and the whole process from backing up to having iOS10 running took about 45minutes.

Just sign up here https://beta.apple.com

Thanks guys.
    Have either of you installed it on a daily use phone - or would that be madness :)

Thanks guys.
    Have either of you installed it on a daily use phone - or would that be madness :)

I put it on my phone yesterday, which I use everyday. I haven't come across anything yet that has given me concerns. The phone seems perfectly functional and I don't see any issues with battery drain.

There are a couple of things that don't work exactly as I'd like, but they're not deal breakers.

1. When using quick reply to a Whatsapp notification, the reply appears as one big long scrolling line instead of going down to the next line when the text field has filled up. That makes it hard to read/correct what you write at the start of the sentence, as it's hidden.

2. When you get a Mail notification, there is no longer an option to delete the mail directly from the notification. All you can do is view the email or clear the notification. I liked in iOS 9 that I could delete an email from the lockscren without having to open it. Perhaps they'll put that function back in later on.

I spent all of last summer using the iOS 9 beta on my daily phone, and I had no deal breaking issues then either.

Wayne

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

Its on my regular phone since last Friday. A few minor issues. The Fitbit App has some text display issues and Space miner wars has a resolution glitch, but nothing at all to make me stop using it and plenty to like.

Just reading the thread on Macrumors. Have any of you experienced the "choppy Audio" using bluetooth in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

1. When using quick reply to a Whatsapp notification, the reply appears as one big long scrolling line instead of going down to the next line when the text field has filled up. That makes it hard to read/correct what you write at the start of the sentence, as it's hidden.

2. When you get a Mail notification, there is no longer an option to delete the mail directly from the notification. All you can do is view the email or clear the notification. I liked in iOS 9 that I could delete an email from the lockscren without having to open it. Perhaps they'll put that function back in later on.

on 1. this will probably require WhatsApp to submit an update, on 2. swipe right tap view and you'll get "Archive/Delete" option, it's an extra step that's annoying but the option is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Just reading the thread on Macrumors. Have any of you experienced the "choppy Audio" using bluetooth in the car?

Not in the car, but the sound quality and connection on my regular bluetooth headphones were dreadful with the first public beta. I haven't tried them yet with the latest version.

No issues with BT audio here

on 1. this will probably require WhatsApp to submit an update, on 2. swipe right tap view and you'll get "Archive/Delete" option, it's an extra step that's annoying but the option is still there.

Cheers for that. Weird that they added an extra step, but I'll check that out next time I get a notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Anyone having trouble with links in safari? It's happening a lot to me on boards.ie and a few other sites where I have to click a few times to get it to register. iPhone 5s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I haven't tried it on my phone but using it on my daily iPad and no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 1878_

brianomc wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble with links in safari? It's happening a lot to me on boards.ie and a few other sites where I have to click a few times to get it to register. iPhone 5s.

I had some similar issues on my 5s. Also it was fine for the most part, but a bit laggy at times which can be expected with beta.

I reverted to iOS 9.3. Just wanted to try it for a while.

only thing I didn't really like was the music app. Layout and font needs work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Installed the beta earlier and I'm delighted with the new Music app. Aesthetically it may need some tweaking in places, but the design of the UI is great and major step up from the old UI. Up Next in particular is much improved – you can add songs much easier using 3D Touch and you can view your queue by just scrolling down on the Now Playing screen. It's really well done. I also really like the use of layers. They also fixed the play controls on the lock screen so that the text is actually visible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 1878_

Installed the beta earlier and I'm delighted with the new Music app. Aesthetically it may need some tweaking in places, but the design of the UI is great and major step up from the old UI. Up Next in particular is much improved – you can add songs much easier using 3D Touch and you can view your queue by just scrolling down on the Now Playing screen. It's really well done. I also really like the use of layers. They also fixed the play controls on the lock screen so that the text is actually visible!

Ah, probably need a 6s/plus to get the most of it I guess with 3D touch.

1878_ wrote: »
    Ah, probably need a 6s/plus to get the most of it I guess with 3D touch.

It's probably a bit quicker with 3D Touch, but tap and hold does the exact same thing on older iPhones.

Put iOS 10 on my iPhone 6S this morning. So far all going good. I do notice the phone getting noticeably hot when charging. Anyone else have that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I have never installed a beta before, decided to take the plunge- installing it on my daily driver so hopefully no issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have it on the iPod Touch and 5s. Generally like it. Sometimes the volume indicator shows on the Touch, sometimes not. Haven't used Messages enough on the phone yet to judge either way.

ETA - also, the phone asked me to change my pass code from 4 digits to 6 for some reason. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Have it on the iPod Touch and 5s. Generally like it. Sometimes the volume indicator shows on the Touch, sometimes not. Haven't used Messages enough on the phone yet to judge either way.

ETA - also, the phone asked me to change my pass code from 4 digits to 6 for some reason. :confused:

New security feature. 4digits are easily cracked than 6digits. You'll also find that auto wipe device on ten failed passcode attempts will be turned on. All actions that have come out of the San Bernardino iPhone case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I put it on my ipad air, all good except the charging is hit and miss again. Battery life isn't great either... I'll stick with it for another while.

Advertisement