Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 10 Public Beta

Options

Comments

Have been running iOS 10 on my iPhone 6 for the last two weeks. One change that was driving me mad was having to click the home button to unlock after using Touch-ID.

The change was brought in as the Touch-ID sensor on the 6s is so quick some people couldn't check their notification screen (i use the power button) without the phone unlocking unnecessarily. On the 6 its not a problem and the extra click to unlock is a pain.

Here's how to change it back one touch unlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/262837/how-to-unlock-your-ios-10-device-with-a-single-click-like-in-ios-9/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can anyone install the beta or do you need to be approved?

My Touch ID has stopped working since last while and I'm not sure if it's software or hardware related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Anyone can install it: download the profile at beta.apple.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

MrMac84, my touchID went after installing beta1 and I have a feeling it's the fault causing the error while installing beta 2+3. I have tried everything to resolve it. No joy. I rememeber my TouchID failed after beta 2 of iOS 9, but was fixed after the next beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone on current public beta unable to turn off keyboard sounds?

I have it disabled in sound settings but my keyboard still makes noises when I hit they keys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I have it disabled in sound settings but my keyboard still makes noises when I hit they keys!

Turning it off works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It's on for space and backspace even when turned off :(

Zcott wrote: »

So it is. I was lazy and just hit a few random keys when I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Zcott wrote: »

yep same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Sharp2012

Hi, does anyone know how to add songs to my top rated playlist in the new music app like in the previous version I tapped the album artwork in the playing now section and made the song 5 stars but can't figure out how to do this in the new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

There doesn't seem to be a toggle for auto brightness or is it just me?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be a toggle for auto brightness or is it just me?

Still there for me.

guil wrote: »
    Still there for me.

This is my screen.

I did get my screen replaced on Sunday so perhaps it's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

developer beta 5 is out so expect public beta 4 around 6pm tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

peteeeed wrote: »
    developer beta 5 is out so expect public beta 4 around 6pm tomorrow

Public Beta 4 available now

If i was to get a new phone, could i restore from the current ios10 backup to it or would it be problematic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

If i was to get a new phone, could i restore from the current ios10 backup to it or would it be problematic?

The other phone has to be on iOs 10 before you can restore from that backup, so if you get new phone either upgrade to iOS 10 then restore from backup or restore from old iOS 9 backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I think the new phone would have to be registered on the beta program first. AFAIK you can't restore ios10 onto a new phone if the new phone is running ios9. I could be wrong, though.

deep1 wrote: »
    The other phone has to be on iOs 10 before you can restore from that backup, so if you get new phone either upgrade to iOS 10 then restore from backup or restore from old iOS 9 backup.

Cool, i thought as much but i just wanted to double check.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

New lock sound is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

New lock sound is much better.

Put your ear up to the phone and listen to the lock sound - there's a "hiss" that continues for a couple of seconds after the lock - obviously still needs some work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Put your ear up to the phone and listen to the lock sound - there's a "hiss" that continues for a couple of seconds after the lock - obviously still needs some work.

Ha, good catch!

Mr Velo wrote: »

Goes on for quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I found after installing Beta 4 the the Home Bar seems to creep along the bottom, exposing the graphic behind it ungrayed out
    IMG_0337_1.jpeg

Join Ireland Weather Network

Lads, that first beta has done something funky to my device. There seems to be an issue where a number of apps don't see that they have access to the internet, which in turn is the same issue that causes each update to fail - "failed installing update - connection to internet lost". I have done almost everything suggestted online, with the exception of wiping and restoring. So that what I'm going to do that tonight. Does the following look like the right procedure?

1. Backup device locally to Mac.
    2. Restore phone to iOS 9.3.4 (I'm not installing xcode to install iOS 10).
    3. Reregister device in the beta program
    4. Download and install iOS 10 B4?
    5. Restore backup from Mac.
    6. Hope all issues are resolved :)

This is my screen.

I did get my screen replaced on Sunday so perhaps it's that?

AAANNNNNDDDD Public Beta 4 puts the toggle right back in. Funny that one. Really enjoying iOS 10, can't he but feel if i had a 6s i could take full advantage of the features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is it safe to use day-to-day yet? :D

Lads, that first beta has done something funky to my device. There seems to be an issue where a number of apps don't see that they have access to the internet, which in turn is the same issue that causes each update to fail - "failed installing update - connection to internet lost". I have done almost everything suggestted online, with the exception of wiping and restoring. So that what I'm going to do that tonight. Does the following look like the right procedure?

1. Backup device locally to Mac.
    2. Restore phone to iOS 9.3.4 (I'm not installing xcode to install iOS 10).
    3. Reregister device in the beta program
    4. Download and install iOS 10 B4?
    5. Restore backup from Mac.
    6. Hope all issues are resolved :)

For anyone that is interested, this works but it's hit and miss. Any issues with hardware (my TouchID is busted) causes all sorts of errors. But I got it to work after an hour or two of messing around.

And as an update, the beta 4 incremental ota update is corrupting at some point and causing a "connect to itunes" which is leaving the phone in recovery mode and causing a restart of the whole procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Is anyone else noticing the screen coming back on when you touch it with your finger. Before you would have to press the home button or the power button to see the screen IE check the time when it was locked, now I just touch my finger of the locked screen and the back light comes on. I don't know whether I like this. Im using a 6S

Advertisement