Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 10 Public Beta

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is anyone else noticing the screen coming back on when you touch it with your finger. Before you would have to press the home button or the power button to see the screen IE check the time when it was locked, now I just touch my finger of the locked screen and the back light comes on. I don't know whether I like this. Im using a 6S

It's not when you touch it, it's when you raise it to look at it. It's a feature called Raise to Wake. It works really well once you get used to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Developer beta 6 and public beta 5 are out!

It's a very small update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That's two weeks in a row we've had betas out...pretty rapid by Apple standards! Seems relatively stable now so I'd say a full release can only be a few weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I've given up on it. I'll wait for the full release before I try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

having wifi issues since the latest upgrade.cannot connect to work routers but can connect to router at home.
    This issue seems to be prevalent across all ios upgrades which Apple implement wifi security updates which in turn locks out certain routes configured incorrectly and not meeting apple's requirements.
    It looks like a firmware upgrade to the wifi on my 6 plus as even downgrading it to ios9 still has the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Blazer wrote: »
    having wifi issues since the latest upgrade.cannot connect to work routers but can connect to router at home.
    This issue seems to be prevalent across all ios upgrades which Apple implement wifi security updates which in turn locks out certain routes configured incorrectly and not meeting apple's requirements.
    It looks like a firmware upgrade to the wifi on my 6 plus as even downgrading it to ios9 still has the issue.

Try tapping other and then manually typing the SSID along with the wifi key.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

guil wrote: »
    Try tapping other and then manually typing the SSID along with the wifi key.

yeah tried that and no luck i'm afraid :(
    chap beside me has iphone 6s and no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I wish I wish they would put the location settings toggle in the control centre as well. Surprised they haven't after all these years.

gimmick wrote: »
    I wish I wish they would put the location settings toggle in the control centre as well. Surprised they haven't after all these years.

Why do you turn it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup don't understand that either? it's not something that I'd need to blanket turn on and off like that. my way of dealing with location is as follows:

Turn on "While using this app" location setting if the app supports it, turn it off for everything that doesn't. that way apps aren't sitting there in the background sucking my battery but it doesn't hinder useful apps that use my location data.

If I had a need to blanket turn off location, I'd just throw on Airplane Mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I think a mobile data toggle switch would be more useful. I like to turn internet off at night but still leave the phone able to take calls and texts. So airplane mode doesn't suit this case, and a toggle for data along with the toggle for wifi would be good.

Always found location drains the battery regardless of whether stuff is going in the background or not. Might be mind over matter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My zombies run app started crashing on the latest update and viber won't text me. Apart from that I really like it

Always found location drains the battery regardless of whether stuff is going in the background or not. Might be mind over matter though.

When used correctly it uses very little battery. Instead of disabling it entirely find out which apps are abusing it and disable their access to location services.

So its just a case of changing to either "never" or "while using"?

So its just a case of changing to either "never" or "while using"?

Exactly. Also when you install a new app it will ask for access to location services, so you can decide then if you want to allow it based on whether you think the app needs it. Some apps abuse location services in order to keep themselves running in the b.g., but most will only access it while using and the location data they are getting was probably already on the phone so the battery drain should be minimal if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Developer Beta 7 (Public Beta 6) is now out! Grab it while it's hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Installed.

Is there a way to remove the word suggestions on keyboard ? Previously I could just swipe it away

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Installed.

Is there a way to remove the word suggestions on keyboard ? Previously I could just swipe it away
    Settings >> General >> Keyboards >> Turn off Predictive.

It's much better on iOS 10 now as it's using differential privacy and actually is smart. also suggests emoji for where there's an word to emoji mapping

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have to say this is by far the most reliable beta they have released. I'm always a bit wary of going for it, but this has been close to flawless for me when compared to 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It's small things like replacing words with the emojis that can be very handy. The public release of this is likely to be in the next two weeks, if the iPhone event rumours are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Just noticed the latest public beta doesn't have personal hotspot functionality.

V1llianous wrote: »
    Just noticed the latest public beta doesn't have personal hotspot functionality.

Just checked. It's still showing up on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Just checked. It's still showing up on mine.

Thanks - found it. Had to go Settings - Mobile Data then enable it and disable it there. Once I did that it reappeared under the standard Settings menu.

V1llianous wrote: »
    Thanks - found it. Had to go Settings - Mobile Data then enable it and disable it there. Once I did that it reappeared under the standard Settings menu.

I didn't realise you'd have to go through hoops to get it. It's showing up on my "main" settings menu even when it's turned off in the Mobile Data sub-menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Developer Beta 8 / Public Beta 7 is out this evening.

A lot of people (myself included) having issues checking for the update though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I saw it just there. Probably the inclusion of the patch for the message bug.

I saw it just there. Probably the inclusion of the patch for the message bug.

Apparently that was fixed in the previous release. This is just another beta.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Apple has released iOS 10.0.1 GM seed, tvOS 10 GM seed, watchOS 3 GM seed, and macOS Sierra GM seed to developers for download.

iOS 10, watchOS 3, and likely tvOS 10 are scheduled for release on September 13th. macOS Sierra is set for release on September 20th.

• Advertisement

Public beta GM is out!

Advertisement