Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 10 Public Beta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Installed no problem, but the battery drain is mental! Unplugged my phone at 9am and it's on 18%, I haven't used it excessively. Checked all the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Installed no problem, but the battery drain is mental! Unplugged my phone at 9am and it's on 18%, I haven't used it excessively. Checked all the usual.

Well there must something running to drain it so much.

I have had less battery issues on iOS10 than 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It could be a dodgy install, which means you'll have to re-do the whole update. It could also just be the phone indexing in the background. That amount of battery loss sounds like you'll need to reinstall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I've had no battery issue with my 6 plus or iPad mini 2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I've also found that a lot of free space is gone . Can I clear download?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

sharkman wrote: »
    I've also found that a lot of free space is gone . Can I clear download?

A crazy trick I came across was to go into the iTunes Store and try to rent a HD movie that won't fit on your phone/tablet. The article I read suggested one of the LOTR films cos they are huge. When you click to rent the film it checks if you have enough space and tries to fit the movie in by deleting all the hidden stuff you thought was gone. It will fail if you've less free space than the movie so you don't pay anything but it clears out temp stuff and old photos that you deleted but the space never freed up. Try it, really works. I usually gain 400-900MB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    A crazy trick I came across was to go into the iTunes Store and try to rent a HD movie that won't fit on your phone/tablet. The article I read suggested one of the LOTR films cos they are huge. When you click to rent the film it checks if you have enough space and tries to fit the movie in by deleting all the hidden stuff you thought was gone. It will fail if you've less free space than the movie so you don't pay anything but it clears out temp stuff and old photos that you deleted but the space never freed up. Try it, really works. I usually gain 400-900MB.

I ran Tongbu assistant and therewas 12Gb in App Crash Log .:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cianmcliam wrote: »

I've used that before but tried about a week ago to see did it still work and I got charged. The film was about 5gb and I only have about 1gb free. I clicked report a problem in the email and got refunded straight away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

guil wrote: »
    I've used that before but tried about a week ago to see did it still work and I got charged. The film was about 5gb and I only have about 1gb free. I clicked report a problem in the email and got refunded straight away though.

I'm guessing you probably have it set to save your password for purchases. Any time I've done that trick, I would get asked for a password after I had cleared enough space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm guessing you probably have it set to save your password for purchases. Any time I've done that trick, I would get asked for a password after I had cleared enough space.

Nearly certain I didn't change any settings the last time I done it. I did it repeatedly just to see how much space it could clear and I think it was somewhere around 5gb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't really see the point of that download-a-big- video-file space saving trick. The fact that it works in the first place means the OS already knows that data can be deleted when needed. So you might as well just wait and let it happen naturely . Doing it prematurely means losing cached data that helps with performance.

It's the caches that the OS doesn't know about that you should worry about. The only trick to get rid of them is to delete the whole app and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I don't really see the point of that download-a-big- video-file space saving trick. The fact that it works in the first place means the OS already knows that data can be deleted when needed. So you might as well just wait and let it happen naturely . Doing it prematurely means losing cached data that helps with performance.

It's the caches that the OS doesn't know about that you should worry about. The only trick to get rid of them is to delete the whole app and reinstall.
    I normally wouldn't be one to do it but had an iPad on the beta early on which I deleted the profile and never re enrolled it. Had less than half a gig free. Done a sync with iTunes etc in case it was stuff cached nothing was changing so done the above and it was the only thing that worked got back 5 or 6GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Thanks guys, I did a "reset all settings" and it's fine now.

I think I've already has this discussion with you, for me it was Apple Music retaining a massive cache, even though it was set to 1gb max. I've not had to do it since I upgraded to a 64gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The clear out memory trick also works by signing out of the iTunes Store and signing back in again. No idea why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Some tit on the Sky forum was complaining to the reps that the Sky go app wasn't working on iOS 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

maximum12 wrote: »
    Some tit on the Sky forum was complaining to the reps that the Sky go app wasn't working on iOS 10.

Well it's probably something they'd want to get resolved seeing as it goes live tomorrow. Maybe they have an update ready which patches the problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Well it's probably something they'd want to get resolved seeing as it goes live tomorrow. Maybe they have an update ready which patches the problem though.

An update was released yesterday supporting iOS 10.

App Developers can't release a true ios 10 version until after the GM is available. It normally then takes a couple of days for Apple to publish the apps. When you release a new app it does not go straight in the app store.

It is working now. He was complaining it wasn't working on the beta. It was annoying but that's betas. But hey, he tests ''programmes'' so he knows about computers! :)

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    It is working now. He was complaining it wasn't working on the beta. It was annoying but that's betas. But hey, he tests ''programmes'' so he knows about computers! :)

It's more annoying for developers who receive unjustified negative reviews that their app doesn't work on a beta operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

maximum12 wrote: »
    It's more annoying for developers who receive unjustified negative reviews that their app doesn't work on a beta operating system.
    you cant leave reviews in the app store when on beta..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

true for iOS 10, wasn't true for other betas. it often gets turned off too i.e. couldn't leave a review on iOS 10 beta 4, but could on beta 2 (these numbers are just examples).

shanec1928 wrote: »
    you cant leave reviews in the app store when on beta..

Good to hear. In the past you could.

true for iOS 10, wasn't true for other betas. it often gets turned off too i.e. couldn't leave a review on iOS 10 beta 4, but could on beta 2 (these numbers are just examples).

It was disabled for iOS 9 beta in July 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I use the Luas app a lot, been a few years since it was updated, out of all the apps I use on the beta it's the least compatible so far. Hopefully it'll drop soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It was disabled for iOS 9 beta in July 2015.

Mac Stories article, dated July 2015 still complaining about this issue https://www.macstories.net/stories/on-negative-app-store-reviews-during-betas-of-ios-and-os-x/

my point here was that it was fixed, then broken again, then fixed permanently, I wasn't aware of the exact timing hence why I gave example beta numbers :).

Edit: https://www.macstories.net/news/apple-prevents-app-store-reviews-from-users-on-ios-9-betas/ came in on jun 22 2015 :).

naasrd wrote: »
    I use the Luas app a lot, been a few years since it was updated, out of all the apps I use on the beta it's the least compatible so far. Hopefully it'll drop soon.

Apple are to start culling broken apps from the app store which have effectively been abandoned by their developers. Not sure what the criteria are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

They listed the criteria in the email to devs, but apps that crash etc on first launch will be automatically removed. It's a good step though, hopefully it removes some of the junk and forces lazy developers to update.

• Advertisement

Mac Stories article, dated July 2015 still complaining about this issue https://www.macstories.net/stories/on-negative-app-store-reviews-during-betas-of-ios-and-os-x/

my point here was that it was fixed, then broken again, then fixed permanently, I wasn't aware of the exact timing hence why I gave example beta numbers :).

Edit: https://www.macstories.net/news/apple-prevents-app-store-reviews-from-users-on-ios-9-betas/ came in on jun 22 2015 :).

It's July like I said :P

Advertisement